looking for midwife and/or doula in Panama - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I am 6 months pregnant and moving from Costa Rica to Panama in a few weeks. Anyone know a good midwife in the Panama City area? Or doula? Or birthing center? Or an ob/gyn who is "open minded"? ;)

I have been searching the web but so far no luck. Advice is welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 10:15 AM

I Don't live in panama, but my father lives there and I visit occasionally . I realize you must have already had your baby. I am a Doula and midwifery student. I've tried to find midwives and doulas in Panama and haven't been able to. If you had any luck can you let me know?

Sandra
Old 12-17-2011, 10:16 AM

I Don't live in panama, but my father lives there and I visit occasionally . I realize you must have already had your baby. I am a Doula and midwifery student. I've tried to find midwives and doulas in Panama and haven't been able to. If you had any luck can you let me know?

Sandra
Old 12-18-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yes... My baby was born 3 weeks ago. Yea! smile.gif

I am very grateful to Jimena Mosquera at Fundacion Panamama. She was our doula, and she connected me with doctors and caregivers who were both experienced and on our wavelength. She and business partner Nikki Green are working hard to educate and to support pregnant moms in Panama.

Doctora Graciela Anhel de Aybar was my ob. She and her husband Doctor Rodrigo Aybar work out of Hospital Nacional. They are fantastic!! Best obs, best doctors, I have ever had.

Unlike in the states, here your doctor can deliver you from any hospital. So Graciela was there to deliver me at Punta Pacifica. However, the Aybars' specialty is home birth. And as far as I know, they are the only docs who do home births here.

Please holler if you have any specific questions about pregnancy and birth options in Panama. I am happy to provide whatever info I can.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 AM

Hello, I am about 7 months pregnant and I am looking for a doula in Panama City.  My husband and I have only been here for about 7 days and tomorrow I have my first OBGYN appointment at Punta Pacifica.  I was hoping to have a doula because I don't know Spanish (learning) and I think it will help to have someone there with me in the delivery room to help with language.  This is my first baby and I am a bit nervous so I need all the help I can get!  I would love any help or advice from you if you dont mind. 

Thank you so much and congradulations on your baby!

Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 PM

I now live in Panama and have done some teaching about natural birth at a university and the Punta Pacifica hospital.

Still getting settled, but seeing some clients when I go to Panama City. (I live in Bocas right now). If there are 5 couples for a Pregnancy Playshop weekend (see www.elizabethnoble.com) I would come to the city to facilitate it.

Very glad to know that homebirth is alive and well in this wonderful country. Of course, the indigenous women have enjoyed that freedom for a long time; some birth standing in a river, I am told.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:42 AM

Hi everyone! I'm writting to let all of you know that I'm now in Puerto Rico, where I'm originally from! I'm still teaching natural childbirth courses (in person or through the internet). Also assisting women in labour as a Doula (either at home or at the hospital) and giving lactation support. My business email is [email protected] and my numbers are (305)712-4648 and (787)470-4512. Looking forward to support you!

User Tag List