Looking for information about Buenos Aires! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 16 year old sister is moving to a suburb Buenos Aires in a few weeks. Just wondering if anyone lives in that area or has ever been there, and if so if you can give me a little information about it. I was talking to someone who lived there a while ago and he kind of freaked me out because he said there is a strong rape culture there, and to tell my sister not to go on any dates or even to ever go anywhere alone with a man, because she would be raped. I think it has been quite a while since he lived there, though, and also it would be good to get a woman's point of view about that. Other than that, I'm just wondering about basic culture, transportation, schools, what places she should be sure to check out, things like that. Is there anything she should bring with her that she will have a hard time finding while she's there? She is going to be living in Aldo Bonzi, which from what I can find is a suburb and doesn't have a lot going on. She is going through the Foreign Exchange program, and she just found out where she is going today, so she doesn't really have a lot of time to prepare.  She hardly speaks any Spanish, because she is a teenager and thinks she "doesn't need to learn it" before she goes, and she lives in a teen-tiny town with only 12 people in her high school class, so I think it is going to be pretty overwhelming when she first gets there! 

It doesn't look like this forum is used very often , but I thought I'd try!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hi! I live in Buenos Aires. I just did a google search to find Aldo Bonzi, it doesn't seem to be in the best of places. I don't know what is your sister going to do there, and why she ended up there, but she should be careful because she doesn't know the language and the place, pretty common advice for anyone travelling abroad to an unkown location. Too bad she's not going to be living in the capital, it's so much more fun for a teen, so many things to do.

Eitherway, I don't know who told you about BA having rape culture, but IT IS NOT TRUE. Bad things happen to people like in the rest of the world, but Argentina is not Congo, for christs sake. The phrase "rape culture" is so strong and negative. I still have never met a rape survivor in my 32 yrs of life, and I've been up and around, going everywhere and travelling around the country (as well as abroad). It's sad someone told you such thing, for it is a lie.

If you want to send me a pm with a little more detail, I could orientate you more.

Best of lucks!

User Tag List