Home birth in Costa Rica? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-28-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi lovely mamas!

My family of five (soon to be 6) is planning a move from the US to Costa Rica at some point this year. We are debating a couple things...one is whether to go before our baby is born or not (Hubby has read that we will have to leave every 90 days, for 3 days, on our tourist visa...but that if our babe is born there, we can all become residents.) Does anyone know if this is true? We are due in early September of this year, 2014.

And if we do go before baby comes...is the best option for home birth care the midwives of MamaSol near San Jose/Central Valley? 

Through reading, we had been interested in living near Nosara on the Pacific Coast but will ofcourse go where the homebirth midwifery options are best...and then move to where we want to be permenantly after baby is born. 

I will say though, as a doula/home birth assistant here in the States...the Central Valley is looking more and more appealing with what seems to be a vibrant birth community. :) So maybe that's where we'll end up? I would love to be surrounded by a like minded community like I am here. 

We currently have three young children (twin b/g 4 y.o's and a 2 y.o. boy) and just really need reliable internet access nearby for my husband to continue his work. 

Any input into some great communities that are expat and homebirth friendly are greatly appreciated! Many thanks and blessings. 

#2 of 4 Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
This is an old post but you may find info and contact info
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1381609/im-a-doula-in-costa-rica-available-to-support-moms
Also here
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1362976/hola-from-costa-rica

I live in costa for several years but had my child here in the states . One thing fur sure, internet is pretty much unreliable anywhere except in the larger cities.
Pura vida!
#3 of 4 Old 04-01-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you tracyamber! Very helpful. We're meeting (over Skype) with some homebirth midwives in CR tomorrow.
The internet is bad in most of the beach towns, even the bigger ones?
#4 of 4 Old 04-01-2014, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmama127 View Post

Thank you tracyamber! Very helpful. We're meeting (over Skype) with some homebirth midwives in CR tomorrow.
The internet is bad in most of the beach towns, even the bigger ones?
If I told you the number of times I cried at an Internet cafe because I needed to pay a bill or something. Just have low expectations on the internet... Lol phones work great!
Btw what is a bigger coastal town? They are all pretty small I guess to me. smile.gif
How exciting to be moving though. You can run stuff pass me and if I have experience or advice I will give it if you want. Food , weather everything is great about this country!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page