Mothering Forum banner

Vaccines, other questions on Costa Rica...

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Kristina77 
#1 ·
Hi! We are considering a trip to CR later this summer or fall with my two homeschooled kids. I have heard very mixed things about whether vaccines are required for entry, for expats, in general for kids, for schools (if we decided to enroll in some classes or stay longer). I read that CR has National Immunization Day, which sounds scary! :huh Can someone please advise what the latest laws are?

Would also love to get general thoughts on how ND's, acupuncturists, herbalists, etc. are viewed (accepted) and available.

Is raw milk available? Are there other WAPF/Paleo folks? Anyone raising dairy goats (we do) or dairy cows there?

What are great/safe areas to stay for a visit, and where are the expats/friendly locals that might want to connect? How safe is CR in general?

How difficult is it if your family isn't quite fluent in Spanish yet? (are working on that!):laugh:

Does anyone know the laws around what food you can bring into the country (both kids have severe food allergies) and how easily you can find organic foods/meats?

How are schools/colleges there? Can you recommend ones that speak English as well?

Homeschooling laws (esp. regarding expats), or groups there to connect with?

Thanks SO much in advance!!
Valerie :grin:

See less See more
Reactions: Kristina77
#2 ·
Hi! We are considering a trip to CR later this summer or fall with my two homeschooled kids. I have heard very mixed things about whether vaccines are required for entry, for expats, in general for kids, for schools (if we decided to enroll in some classes or stay longer). I read that CR has National Immunization Day, which sounds scary! :huh Can someone please advise what the latest laws are?

Would also love to get general thoughts on how ND's, acupuncturists, herbalists, etc. are viewed (accepted) and available.

Is raw milk available? Are there other WAPF/Paleo folks? Anyone raising dairy goats (we do) or dairy cows there?

What are great/safe areas to stay for a visit, and where are the expats/friendly locals that might want to connect? How safe is CR in general?

How difficult is it if your family isn't quite fluent in Spanish yet? (are working on that!):laugh:

Does anyone know the laws around what food you can bring into the country (both kids have severe food allergies) and how easily you can find organic foods/meats?

How are schools/colleges there? Can you recommend ones that speak English as well?

Homeschooling laws (esp. regarding expats), or groups there to connect with?

Thanks SO much in advance!!
Valerie :grin:
Hi! As I see it this is not a fresh post. Yet, I am curious to hear how did you and your family end up in PR?
I am very anxious to read about the vaccines part!

I've bern thinking about moving somewhere too, where not vaccinating, unschooling is totally OK.
Thank you :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.