Can you hurt/squish the baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
at 27 weeks, I just bent over to put my toddler's shoes on and really squished the baby.
I mean, it hurt, I definitely felt it, and will not be bending that way again (straight legs together).
Does anyone know if it's possible to hurt the baby this way?
I can still feel the sensation lingering, but the baby is kicking/moving so I know he's still with me. Phew.
#2 of 14 Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 PM

Baby is so cushioned by fluid, placenta, uterus and your body that he probably felt that his space felt a little smaller momentarily but didn't hurt at all. It probably hurt you more. I remember pulling all the abdominal muscles on one side when I was pregnant with my first and it took a good 2 days for the pain to go away.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#3 of 14 Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 AM

sorry can't help but laugh at the subject which is so not funny, but anyway.

No, there is plenty of cushion around baby. Really the only big fear is trauma to you that could cause the placenta to pull away, like a fall, car wreck, etc. What you felt was probably an objection to your position because they want to be free to move about as they want, when you change where the available space is they get cranky "I don't need space by my head I need it *HERE*!"

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#4 of 14 Old 02-06-2009, 03:13 AM

Not in your DDC but crashing for a sec cause I saw your thread

My midwife explained it like this. Picture (or try, if you can ) the following scenario. Take a balloon. Put a shelled, hard boiled egg inside it. Completely fill balloon with water. Put it in another, larger balloon. Completely filled with water. Now, try and damage the egg.

Won't happen.

Now, the egg doesn't have legs that get stuck inside our ribcages or behind our kidneys, so the pain isn't quite the same, but no...you can't hurt the baby without REALLY working at it.

HTH mama...good luck!
Theoretica

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#5 of 14 Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 AM

Can you? It's possible.

Did you? Very unlikey. Most things you do won't even do much other than maybe get on your babys nerves at worse. The balloon/egg thing from the PP is a great example of how your baby is protected. Last time I was pregnant, DS hated how I would sit sometimes because he would make him have less room, so he would poke & elbow me until I moved.

You're way more likely to hurt yourself long before you end up hurting that little one in there.
#6 of 14 Old 02-06-2009, 10:25 AM

I had to giggle too because last night I was laying down and feeling for my fundus (not realising that it was way higher than I thought) and I felt a little round knot like thing really high up. I was pushing on it fairly hard because I started to freak out that it was a tumor above my uterus. Well the "tumor" kicked me back so hard that I felt it for the next half hour!!

Now I know that my baby is no longer breach and that he gets ticked off when I push on his feet! I'm sure your lil one is fine, but maybe a little ticked off that s/he got compresed for a second.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#7 of 14 Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneology View Post
Baby is so cushioned by fluid, placenta, uterus and your body that he probably felt that his space felt a little smaller momentarily but didn't hurt at all. It probably hurt you more.
:

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#8 of 14 Old 02-06-2009, 12:05 PM

Nope.
I still sleep on my belly even. You can hurt yourself, but it is pretty difficult to hurt the baby.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#9 of 14 Old 02-06-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone.

I was picturing him in there suffering with broken ribs but it sounds like that was another needless worry.

I wish I had the nerve to sleep on my stomach, that's probably the one thing I miss most, even more than drinking wine.
#10 of 14 Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM

april- that is funny, cause i have been doing the same thing. this knot feels like a tumor or something. i kind of freaked out and pushed on it, too! one time it moved, so i was relieved.

the_lissa i keep waking up on my tummy. not on purpose, but i guess that ends up being comfortable! i am always scared that i hurt my baby...guess she just moves to the back room.
#11 of 14 Old 02-06-2009, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I had to giggle too because last night I was laying down and feeling for my fundus (not realising that it was way higher than I thought) and I felt a little round knot like thing really high up. I was pushing on it fairly hard because I started to freak out that it was a tumor above my uterus. Well the "tumor" kicked me back so hard that I felt it for the next half hour!!
I pushed what I THOUGHT was my belt buckle under my shirt, then it moved. I almost died. I think it was a foot or something. IDN I was very strange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Nope.
I still sleep on my belly even. You can hurt yourself, but it is pretty difficult to hurt the baby.
lucky I can't even think about sleeping on my belly.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#12 of 14 Old 02-07-2009, 01:38 AM

Ha! lotus.blossom and Kriket, you both made me laugh

Maxine45, I'm so glad you asked this question. I was thinking about posting it myself, too. So many times I think I've squished the poor dear, but he always seems to kick me back to let me know he's okay.

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
#13 of 14 Old 02-07-2009, 02:42 AM

I'm glad you posted too, it's reassuring to hear that the baby is so well cushioned. My kids, especially my two year old have literally dropped on top of my belly when I'm laying in bed. Knocked the wind out of me but baby seemed fine. I'm thankful they are so well protected in there!!

Jenny
#14 of 14 Old 02-09-2009, 05:28 PM

OT: I read on spinningbabies that it's better for positioning (to avoid posterior) to sleep on your stomach.

I thought I'd heard of something like this:
http://badanimal2.blogspot.com/2005/...arns-shes.html

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page