Scary rush to the birth centre - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Friday started out as a normal day for me. I work from home, and had an easy morning in front of the computer. At midday, I headed to the kitchen for lunch. I started to feel a little woozy, as if from low blood sugar, so I figured I must've been hungrier than I thought. My DH called, and after a couple of minutes talking, I was forgetting basic things - what I had for breakfast, what I was in the middle of making for lunch, etc. I couldn't remember what balsamic vinegar was, so I had to get the bottle to look at the label, but I couldn't read the word out loud, it was like it was in another language. I had to read the cereal box to find out what I ate for breakfast.

My DH knew something was wrong with me, and headed straight home. In the meantime, a friend called and said who she was, but I couldn't recognise her name or voice. Then Mum called, and I couldn't form sentences anymore. She called my DH on the other line who explained something was wrong, so she stayed on the line. After a few minutes, I couldn't say a single word anymore - they just wouldn't come out right, it was all nonsense.

I couldn't see properly, things had spots on them. I couldn't read, or understand what the people on the tv were saying. I had a headache.

DH arrived and raced me to the birth centre after talking to the midwife. When we got there I was sick in the garbage bin, and my blood pressure was much higher than the day before. Baby's heartbeat was elevated. The headache was excruciating by then. They did blood tests, and I was in there all afternoon waiting for results and trying to get back to normal. My speech came back eventually, but the headache stayed.

Bloodtests and protein in urine came back normal, so they sent me home, saying that if the headache didn't go away later that night, then to go straight to Delivery. Luckily it did though.

The whole ordeal terrified me. My midwives were very concerned. In the end, no-one knows what it was, or if it will happen again.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?? I really want to know what the heck was going on... I've been exhausted since Friday.

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
#2 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 09:18 AM

it sounds very simmilar to my symptoms when i get a migrane. i get a thing in my eye like i looked at a camera flash, i lose short term memory, i cant read, i get weak and dizzy and get a headache that gets worse if i move, etc.

other than that i have no idea but i hope you feel better soon. it sounds pretty scary.

Kiz
#3 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 AM

First of, so sorry you went through that whole ordeal! So scary!
and
Something like this happened to me Friday night, on a smaller scale. I was in the kitchen making dinner and looking at my laptop for the recipe, when I started seeing weird spots. Like I had just looked at a bright light. It kept feeling worse and worse and so I mentioned it to my DH and he had me sit on the couch in the dark while he finished up. I started seeing strobe lights in my left eye and then after a while I felt like I lost my peripheral vision in that same eye. Within an hour I was back to normal. It was kinda freaky because I was having trouble finding the words to instruct my DH on how to finish dinner.

I didn't call my midwives or anything, had it gone on any longer I would have. I looked it up online later and the symptoms seem to point to either pregnancy induced hypertention or anemia. I'm curious to see what my blood pressure is at my next appt. I may start taking some floradix just as a precaution.

I hope this doesn't happen again!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#4 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
First of, so sorry you went through that whole ordeal! So scary!
and
Something like this happened to me Friday night, on a smaller scale. I was in the kitchen making dinner and looking at my laptop for the recipe, when I started seeing weird spots. Like I had just looked at a bright light. It kept feeling worse and worse and so I mentioned it to my DH and he had me sit on the couch in the dark while he finished up. I started seeing strobe lights in my left eye and then after a while I felt like I lost my peripheral vision in that same eye. Within an hour I was back to normal. It was kinda freaky because I was having trouble finding the words to instruct my DH on how to finish dinner.

I didn't call my midwives or anything, had it gone on any longer I would have. I looked it up online later and the symptoms seem to point to either pregnancy induced hypertention or anemia. I'm curious to see what my blood pressure is at my next appt. I may start taking some floradix just as a precaution.

I hope this doesn't happen again!
How scary! And even more so that they can't pinpoint what it was!

Hope it doesn't happen again!

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#5 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 10:38 AM

Wow that is really scary! I'm glad you are ok.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#6 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustGirl View Post
Friday started out as a normal day for me. I work from home, and had an easy morning in front of the computer. At midday, I headed to the kitchen for lunch. I started to feel a little woozy, as if from low blood sugar, so I figured I must've been hungrier than I thought. My DH called, and after a couple of minutes talking, I was forgetting basic things - what I had for breakfast, what I was in the middle of making for lunch, etc. I couldn't remember what balsamic vinegar was, so I had to get the bottle to look at the label, but I couldn't read the word out loud, it was like it was in another language. I had to read the cereal box to find out what I ate for breakfast.

My DH knew something was wrong with me, and headed straight home. In the meantime, a friend called and said who she was, but I couldn't recognise her name or voice. Then Mum called, and I couldn't form sentences anymore. She called my DH on the other line who explained something was wrong, so she stayed on the line. After a few minutes, I couldn't say a single word anymore - they just wouldn't come out right, it was all nonsense.

I couldn't see properly, things had spots on them. I couldn't read, or understand what the people on the tv were saying. I had a headache.

DH arrived and raced me to the birth centre after talking to the midwife. When we got there I was sick in the garbage bin, and my blood pressure was much higher than the day before. Baby's heartbeat was elevated. The headache was excruciating by then. They did blood tests, and I was in there all afternoon waiting for results and trying to get back to normal. My speech came back eventually, but the headache stayed.

Bloodtests and protein in urine came back normal, so they sent me home, saying that if the headache didn't go away later that night, then to go straight to Delivery. Luckily it did though.

The whole ordeal terrified me. My midwives were very concerned. In the end, no-one knows what it was, or if it will happen again.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?? I really want to know what the heck was going on... I've been exhausted since Friday.

I am DDC crashing, because I saw your post on the main page. The same thing happened to me when I was pg with my dd. I had PIH or pregnancy-induced hypertension (high blood pressure). If this happens again, I would recommend lying on your left side and seeing if your symptoms subside. I would feel like I was losing my mind, but I would feel a little bit better after I threw up. High blood pressure can also cause a migraine type headache, so don't just assume that you have a headache. This happened to me off and on for a couple of weeks before my dr finally caught my high bp in the office. Definitely stay on top of this, if it happens get to the birth center so they can test your bp or maybe test it at home. I never had full-blown preeclampsia, so I was able to control mine by spending the last month of my pg on bedrest lying on my left side. I am not trying to scare the daylights out of you, but it sounds just like what happened to me. I hope that everything gets figured out for you.

Brandy
#7 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 01:19 PM

That sounds terrifying, I hope it doesn't happen again!

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#8 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 02:18 PM

I had something similar, visual disturbance, couldn't talk straight, just spoke gibberish, but I wasn't pregnant. I can't recall if my head hurt. My uncle, a PA, said it sounded like it could be a TIA (I forget what that stands for) but a mini-stroke. I had an MRI and they didn' see anything.

I don't know anything about PIH, so I'd watch that, re: what the PP said.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#9 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 03:22 PM

I'm so sorry you went through that!! I have no advice, but

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#10 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 05:24 PM

I do feel like I experience what you describe pretty regularly, but no where near as extremely. Minor versions of it. I'm guessing it's probably just the craziness we all get with the hormones and all the work our bodies are doing trying to grow these people.

Not to be an alarmist, though, I'm sure they ruled out stroke?

--Heather

PS Please give us updates as you have them!
#11 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 06:08 PM

Oh my...Make sure you're getting plenty of water..My grandma acted that way when she was dehydrated. Hopefully was just a bad migrane/tired. If you feel even slightly icky later, make sure you get checked out. Hugs!
#12 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 07:15 PM

Sounds like what has happened to me before.... I think it was a migraine, I wasn't pregnant and ended up falling asleep and woke up feeling fine. Also I've felt kind of that way when I has having a panic attack one time, I ended up in the ER. But I wasn't pregnant when that happened either. It really is a scary feeling.

Wish I had some advice, sorry, I hope it's nothing and doesn't happen again.

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#13 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm starting to think that it was a form of migraine. I've never had one before, so I'm not entirely sure though.

My DH ordered a blood pressure monitor as soon as we got home on Friday, so at least that way we'll be able to check it regularly.

My midwife just called to check on me. I'm seeing her again tomorrow morning.

Thankyou everyone for your comments. It's very reassuring that some of you have experienced similar things and I'm not going crazy!

#14 of 22 Old 02-22-2009, 11:39 PM

That does sound scary. I'm glad you're going to keep monitoring everything. At our childbirth class, we were just hearing that symptoms of PIH include visual disturbance and headache, but I can't remember if the confusion and speech loss was on the list. I hope they can figure it out, and that it doesn't happen again!
#15 of 22 Old 02-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoNatalee View Post
Sounds like what has happened to me before.... I think it was a migraine, I wasn't pregnant and ended up falling asleep and woke up feeling fine. Also I've felt kind of that way when I has having a panic attack one time, I ended up in the ER. But I wasn't pregnant when that happened either. It really is a scary feeling.

Wish I had some advice, sorry, I hope it's nothing and doesn't happen again.

Not in your DDC... but what you described as happened to me before. It's some of the tell tale signs for me when a migraine is about to strike. It's my aura..

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
#16 of 22 Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM

Yikes that must ahve been scary! I"ve had more minor versions kinda like those, now its making me think more, maybe i'll see if i can borrow my dads BP monitor for a while...

definelyt stay hydrated I know i'm having a hard time with that lately. I know when I had Pre-E (12 yrs and 8pregnancies ago) i was told to sit with my legs elevated as much as possible .. perhaps that might help if its in teh BP range of things???

ok, off to think and re-evaluate how i've been feeling lately.....

hope you wont have any more episodes like that!
#17 of 22 Old 02-23-2009, 11:55 PM

not to scare you but that is also a symptom of seizures, maybe you had a petite maul where you kinda space out, usually not any shaking involved. I know after my grand maul I couldn't write my name, didn't comprehend, nothing came out of my mouth right, couldn't find words. Sometimes seizures can be brought on by preg, my aunt had that problem.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#18 of 22 Old 02-23-2009, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I get like this when my migranes are bad. Most of the time I am throwing and cursing and acting like a monster too.

Something similar happened to my mom, but we thing she may have hit her head. Dad thinks the aliens took her for a ride

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#19 of 22 Old 02-24-2009, 12:01 AM

Oh wow! I have had some funky eye episodes, but nothing so dramatic as yours. Keep in touch with your midwives, I hope everything continues to be okay.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#20 of 22 Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
Something similar happened to my mom, but we thing she may have hit her head. Dad thinks the aliens took her for a ride

Thanks I needed that.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#21 of 22 Old 02-24-2009, 12:59 AM

Hey Austgirl,

Just checking in to see if you found out anything useful today?! I hope all went well!

Keep us posted!

Sadie
#22 of 22 Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yup, had my checkup with the midwife and everything seems fine and back to normal. It took 3 whole days to recover from Friday, and yesterday was the first day that I didn't have to lie down every hour or so.

MW is pretty convinced now that it was a bad migraine, and by the sound of it she's right. If it happens again, I still have to head to the hospital, but at least I'll know what's going on this time.

BP's gone back down to normal, and the BP monitor that DH bought me arrived yesterday so I can now check it at home if I think it might be too high.

Thanks everyone soooo much for your comments. I've been talking to a lot of people at home as well and a couple of them have experienced similar episodes that were migraines.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page