Mothering Forum banner

Chat Thread: March 1st - March 7th!

929 views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  lotus.blossom 
#1 ·
Fire away! I have to put my kiddo to bed. But I'll be back to whine.......

#2 ·
Well we still don't have internet (they're supposed to come tuesday) so I feel totally out of the loop around here! We finally have a place, it's a great townhouse and I'm terribly happy! There was a bit of a debacle with the first place we were going to rent and some lead paint issues. When DH called to cancel the lease and get our money back, the property manager tried to cover his butt and say he didn't know I was pregnant when he rented it to us. Not only did we tell him while we were still in WA, I'm HUGE! Nice. So that was a bit stressful.

Otherwise things are falling into place. I'll spend next week setting up Olivia's room, the one spot we haven't unpacked (saved the most fun for last!). I got my VA health care approved so I can have any provider and any birth I want, provided the care-takers will take VA payment! YAY!
:

Hope everyone else is doing well... I can't believe I'm nearly 31 weeks. It's a little stressful finding a new place to give birth with (hopefully...) only 9 weeks to go.

#3 ·
I went to a birthday party today and ate a massive hunk of chocolate cake and now my stomach is a vat of acid and I keep vurping up mouthfuls of it.
:

And just as we were having balmy 30-40 degree weather the temps plummeted back into the teens and we are having another snowstorm. Reportedly a foot by tomorrow!

How is everyone else feeling? I am starting to really feel the time crunch. And my hubby has informed me of some concerns and fears he has for this birth and it has made me feel very grumpy.

Oh we posted at the same time j_p_i! I'm hoping you'll be able to find the perfect provider and place to give birth!! Just take one thing at a time! You're very brave for moving across country in the third trimester!! Have fun with Olivia's room!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
And just as we were having balmy 30-40 degree weather the temps plummeted back into the teens and we are having another snowstorm. Reportedly a foot by tomorrow!

It was in the 50's in Portland 2 days ago! We've already had about an inch of snow down here, and they're calling for 10-15 inches! DH is ecstatic, he loves all the snow here!

#5 ·
GTT 3 hour scheduled for tomorrow morning, along with 7+ inches of snow.....should be interesting. I'm anxious enough about it, let alone the driving conditions. DH will take the day off if there is a snow day to drive me and to take care of DS1 who will need to come along.

#6 ·
j_p_i - I'm glad you're loving the new place and settling in!

I hope the stomach acid goes away soon for you lotus, I'm having a nasty time with it tonight also.

Amy - Good luck with the GTT!

Snow here tonight also. Kind of hoping we get enough that DH gets to stay home tomorrow. I'm not ready for him to head back to work after a week on vacation (sort of). My machine finally came back from being serviced today and I did some sewing tonight. None that is sell-worthy but some stuff that DS can use even though they are girl fabrics. I have a chiro appointment tomorrow afternoon and I'm in a lot of pain tonight so thank goodness for that.

I'm feeling a time crunch also. We managed to buy the carseat on Friday and used a 15% off coupon so we got it for $30 cheaper. We have it installed in the car now and it definitely hits home that a baby is going to be here very soon.

#7 ·
I feel like an achy pregnant girl today and I definitely did NOT accomplish enough housework to make it worth it. All I did was straighten up the house and vacuum and now I can't bend over without sharp pains shooting up my back.

My little guy is making my belly look so uneven lately. Today I had such a big bulge on my left side it looked freakish. I can't figure out if it's a butt or head though lol. Oh and what does it feel like when the baby kicks your cervix? I had the WEIRDEST most painful movement going on in there last night. It felt like a sharp burning pain going down my pubic bone area.

#8 ·
Madalyn - Kicks to the cervix always feel like a sharp pain to me, it could have been punching also. Spinning babies is a good website that explains fetal positioning.

So I'm debating whether I should buy my own birth tub now. My MW was set to drop off her aqua doula in a few weeks and all I have to do is buy the liner, but now I'm wondering if it would be a better investment to purchase my own. I guess its always something I can do at a later time and just use her's for the birth.

My house is a disaster so I had better got on that. Chiro appointment today
:

#9 ·
It is so freaking cold out. -15C. -20C with the wind chill.

This week is insane. I have several appointments each day. On Thursday, The kids have a dentist appointment, Jocelyn has a paediatrician appointment, the cat has an appointment for a vax and to get her stitches out, and I have a massage.

Our van has been acting a little crazy with the odometer and speedometer cutting out, the check e brake and abs lights coming on, even tough they are fine, etc. We found out this is a common issue for our van. Something leaks and shorts out a fuse. There is even a special part to remedy it that we bought from Ford. It's nice to know that it isn't anything serious.

Our living room is finally done. 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint later. Home Depot gave us pink primer. I found out they really should have given us brown or grey primer. I'll post pictures later. I love it. I think it is so beautiful and cozy.

Next we have to paint the hall. It is nice that we don't have to move any furniture, but we have to tape off two windows and ten doorways.

I want the whole house painted before the baby comes.

#10 ·
Madalyn- Vacuuming always gets me. I think I may go into labor while vacuuming!!
Feel better!

Katie- Would you be buying an AquaDoula? My midwives rent theirs out but I decided against it. I ordered the Sevylor Electra blow up pool and I am so excited about it!! It uses a lot less water than the AquaDoula.

Lissa- A massage sounds like fun! Hopefully you will be able to relax amongst your busy week. I have painting to do before my babe arrives too. I have no motivation to so it!

Amy- How was your appt? And the refreshing orange drink?

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Our van has been acting a little crazy with the odometer and speedometer cutting out, the check e brake and abs lights coming on, even tough they are fine, etc. We found out this is a common issue for our van. Something leaks and shorts out a fuse. There is even a special part to remedy it that we bought from Ford. It's nice to know that it isn't anything serious.
I was going to ask if it was a Ford Windstar... we have the same issue with the e-brake light coming on ALL the time, even when there's no issue. I have come to just ignore it. No other problems with ours though, at least not factory problems! We just had a fuel injector replaced
: and a wheel bearing. and then there's our truck....

#13 ·
Silly how it's a known problem and yet WE have to pay to fix it. I am SO not impressed with Ford these days. We just had a "$1000" repair done on our truck (quoted by Ford) for less than $600 at a local shop that does better work with Ford parts instead of cheapo parts. Grrr.

#15 ·
Quote:

Katie- Would you be buying an AquaDoula? My midwives rent theirs out but I decided against it. I ordered the Sevylor Electra blow up pool and I am so excited about it!! It uses a lot less water than the AquaDoula.

I don't think I would buy the aqua doula if I purchase one. I'm looking at the La Bassine, probably the mini size since I don't think the regular size would fit in our bedroom with the king size bed in there. I will have to take measurements. I like the idea of it taking less water and time to fill than the aquadoula.

#16 ·
Quote:

How is everyone else feeling? I am starting to really feel the time crunch. And my hubby has informed me of some concerns and fears he has for this birth and it has made me feel very grumpy.

What are his concerns? Sometimes I wish my DP would say something besides how excited he is. It makes me feel like a crazy woman to say that haha

I just got back on Saturday from Santo Domingo. It was nice to see my friends and family, even if it was only for a week. My mom threw the nicest baby shower for me, everything was beautiful and I had so much fun. It was my first baby shower, so I had no idea they were so much fun and the food was so nice! She made hummus, wheat with spinach, three different cheeses...one with mint, one with onion and one with a black olive paste, we also had chocolate fondue with strawberries and melon. A really yummy dulce de leche cake, but she didnt make that

She decorated the whole house with white daisies which are my favorite and my aunt made this giant bottle out of ballons and a pacifier too. I had a blast, I was so happy and felt so special. I thought it was going to be kinda lame, but it made me truly happy and my mom and aunts made sure everything was of my liking, including strictly veggie food.

And I got super nice baby outfits, I loved my presents, but it wasnt really about the presents, just the company and the effort everyone made to make sure I had a good time.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Super fantastic news today! DH gets to stay for the birth, and they're giving him 2 extra weeks after the birth to spend with us!
:
AAAAAHHHH!!
I'm sooooo excited for you Katie! Must be a huge weight off your mind!!

Auraji- Well my DH was particularly traumatized by my last birth experience. Its really hard for me to understand what he went through watching me go through what I did. I know he is on board for a homebirth, and his specific fears have to do wth birth itself rather than just the homebirth aspect of it. Its just the usual, somehting goes wrong, we have to transfer to the hospital, I die, the baby dies...... I don't know how to help him get over it because they are "what ifs" and he usually hates what ifs but I think he just feels kinda outta control. He watched me go through a LOT with my hospital interfered birth, poor guy. I hope this homebirth will be healing to the both of us.

p.s. you baby shower sounds like a dream!! I'm glad you had such a special time.

#20 ·
Quote:

Super fantastic news today! DH gets to stay for the birth, and they're giving him 2 extra weeks after the birth to spend with us!
:
That's awesome!
:

Quote:

AAAAAHHHH!!
I'm sooooo excited for you Katie! Must be a huge weight off your mind!!

Auraji- Well my DH was particularly traumatized by my last birth experience. Its really hard for me to understand what he went through watching me go through what I did. I know he is on board for a homebirth, and his specific fears have to do wth birth itself rather than just the homebirth aspect of it. Its just the usual, somehting goes wrong, we have to transfer to the hospital, I die, the baby dies...... I don't know how to help him get over it because they are "what ifs" and he usually hates what ifs but I think he just feels kinda outta control. He watched me go through a LOT with my hospital interfered birth, poor guy. I hope this homebirth will be healing to the both of us.

p.s. you baby shower sounds like a dream!! I'm glad you had such a special time.
That must be so hard, to have him feel so nervous. I hope he is able to relax at the birth. Oh and they do the lemon/lime drink at my lab so luckily no orange drink for the GTT. I wasn't keen on giving the baby dyes in addition to the sugar so I was happy about that at least.

#21 ·
Quote:

:
I'm so so so happy to hear this Katie! I'd been thinking about you lately with our birth month coming up and his deployment inevitably getting closer, I'm so glad to hear he'll be able to be around!
:

#22 ·
Hi everyone! I had a great appointment today. Passed the glucose test (137 - barely!), baby is head down and we had our favorite midwife.

back to my busy work!!

#23 ·
It looks like my OB practice is NOT going to fire me for refusing the GTT! I made an appt with the doctor who I think is sort of the Alpha dog, and he started the appt with "So you've given birth with a midwife twice before, but you're not doing it this time... right?" Like it had actually crossed his mind that I might break up with him if he gave me any crap. What a refreshing mindset!

The GTT was a total non-issue, he was in the room with me for maybe two minutes total, I loved it. I will keep seeing him for the rest of the pregnancy.

#24 ·
Congrats on passing your GTT Cook!
Thats great that your doc didn't hassle you Smithie!

I set out for my midwife appt this morning (totally excited for getting my birth supplies list). My aunt came with me to keep track of Lochlan and so we could shop afterwards. Well, my car started sputtering out and I pulled into a driveway and it totally died. My brand new 2009 VW Tiguan. Grrrrr. So my hubby had to drive my aunts car out to meet us and he called VW roadside assistance. They had to tow it an hour away because we live in the boonies. And since I got gas just before this happened they think I got crappy watery gas. So it probably won't be covered (its a lease) and we have to pay for it. There have been some issues with the power steering too so it may just be something related to that. Anywho.....I was supposed to take it to the shop to get the windshield replaced tomorrow. Funny thing is there is only one windsheild in existance for this car since its so new. And they shipped it to our local glass place, so the dealership doesn't have one or else they could just pop it in while they fix the other problem.
I rescheduled my appt for Friday, and the positive is that my hubby will probably have to drive me there. He has yet to come to an appt, so I am excited about that! The bad though? His car is buried under a serious snow drift since we haven't used it all winter. We'll be doing some shovelling tomorrow.

Thanks for anyone who read that. I feel better now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.