taking off time before EDD... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering how many of you are planning on taking time off prior to your EDD? I was thinking of working right up until I go into labour but now I'm second guessing. I'm only taking a month once the baby is born (I can work and bring the baby with me for the first few months) as I'm self employed.

My concern is that physically, it's becoming more difficult to adjust patients. So, if physical demands become too strenuous, then I can adjust my hours ( no pun intended) as I work with my hubby and stepmom. BUT, I kind of assumed that I would always work up until when I was due.

Thoughts? What are you all doing?
#2 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 PM

My last day of work is April 24, and my edd is May 11, so I'm out about two and a half weeks early. I'd love to get at least a week of NOTHING in after going off work until the baby comes, though I'd be surprised if I went early at all.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM

I will not be accepting clients after this month. I know I won't be up to it during the month of April. I will not return to work until September.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#4 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I'll work up to my baby is born. I don't get enough time off, so I'd hate to take say 2 weeks before my EDD and then go 2 weeks late and now I'm 4 weeks into my leave and I only have 2 weeks left with my newborn before I have to go back to work. That would really stink.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#5 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Well, I had intended on working up until my due date, which I did with my first, but I got laid off a few weeks ago. So, I became a SAH mom much earlier than I had intended and we're a bit stressed about money, but truthfully I am enjoying it so, so, so very much.
#6 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 04:27 PM

I originally intended to work right up to my due date, but now I'm planning to take a few weeks pre-baby.

I am a nurse, and lately we have been so slammed at work that I sometimes have to go 10 hours without a single break. Yesterday was like that- no time for anything but a quickly scarfed granola bar at the nurses' station. It sucks. Some of the nurses I work with are great about looking out for me and watching my patients while I hide in the break room and eat for a few minutes, but lately I'm never scheduled with those nurses. At my last prenatal, I had a lot of ketones in my urine, despite everything else being normal, and the midwife said it was probably related to my starving myself at work the night before.

But enough of my whining. My due date is May 4 (actually May 1st according to my midwives, May 4th to me). My last shift to work will be April 7th. I am counting down the days! : I can't wait to have a little time with my sweet DD before she has to share me with a sibling.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#7 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 PM

My EDD is the 24.
I intend to work until May 8. I have a desk/moderate physical job in admin...
Will hopefully start training someone to replace me on April 20, so really the last week I will be watching and filing whatever has not been filed in a while, while that person does the job.
My EDD is the 24.
I intend to work until May 8. I have a desk/moderate physical job in admin...
Will hopefully start training someone to replace me on April 20, so really the last week I will be watching and filing whatever has not been filed in a while, while that person does the job.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 8 Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM

I took 10 weeks off prior to the birth. I may have worked longer if it was a desk job, but it was physically strenuous enough that I didn't want to go up until May. I start getting Braxton Hicks and feeling like crap if I can't sit down every few hours. Plus, with everything going on right now, I can REALLY use the time off. I'm not planning on returning to work after the baby is born, though, so I didn't have to be concerned about shortening my maternity leave.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page