Mucus Plug... TMI Alert - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I think I lost my mucus plug. It was white, and kinda snotty looking, no brown or reddish tinge, and more like a long drip than a chunk of something. It did not have a funky smell, and was not my 'girly fluid' IYKWIM.

My OB was no help. They always ask me the same dumb question - 'is there fluid running down your leg and filling up your shoe?' WTH? Don't they think I'd mention that right off the bat? Or, even better 'are you having contractions?' Um, wow.

Anyhow, I don't remember from my 1st pregnancy what the mucus plug looks like, does it sound to anyone like that's what it was? Also, can I be intimate with DP if I have lost it? Another thing: does this mean I'm about to go into labor? I seriously hope not, I'm due May 25th! Thanks girls!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 07:53 PM

I thought I lost mine about a month ago. I think it was left over from being intimate the day before. If you were intimate not long ago it could be it. OK now I am blushing a little. I did read at that time the plug would replace itself. I hope this helps.
#3 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 PM

Have you been over-exerting yourself recently? I lose chunks of mucus when I overdo it, just seems to be something my body does. It looks exactly like the mucus plug I lose during labor, I don't have bloody show or anything, it just looks like yellow or whitish snot (gross I know). It happened during my last pregnancy after a 6 hour car ride. Your mucus plug automatically regenerates itself after you lose it, so as long as you're not bleeding or contracting it may not be something to worry about. Also, your body is producing a lot more fluid down there now so it may not have been mucus plug at all. I'm sorry your OB wasn't much help.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#4 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 09:54 PM

My musous plug w/ ds was not at all clearish...mostly brownish, and it was bigger than what I imagine you are explaining.

I have had what I imagine to be same thing several times after having sex. I think that you are safe. This has happened several times, say 5 or 6 times, in this pregnancy. It also happened throughout my last pregnancy.

HTH.
#5 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The good news is, mucous plugs can be lost and regenerate.

BTW, I have had my water break with three of my babies and never had it fill my shoe. Too funny!

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#6 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 10:26 PM

I was wondering if that was some sort of criteria for water breakage...if it's not filling up your shoe it's not that bad... what if you aren't wearing shoes???

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#7 of 17 Old 03-07-2009, 10:35 PM

I have no clue, but mine never leaked enough in one gush to fill a shoe that I recall.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#8 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How fancy! A few days back (since we're talking about gwoss stuff ) I had a TP wipe full of what I would have identified as EWCM any other day of the year. I didn't think much of it, just figured it was one of those random smooshies that pregnancy brings.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#9 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 04:15 AM

It's probably not your mucus plug. ;-) I had the same thing happen when I was pregnant with DD, actually BROUGHT IT IN for my OB to look at (gross, I know). She said it was coagulated sperm. :-/ And DH and I had not been intimate for a few days before that...I guess it had just been stuck up there. So gross, I know. ;-)
But...without blood and without other fluid, it's probably not your MP.
If you're worried, you can see if your OB can do a test for amniotic fluid (they used those PH strips at my dr).

Good luck!

#10 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post
But...without blood and without other fluid, it's probably not your MP.
This isn't necessarily true. I never had bloody show with my last labor nor any brown tinged mucus. My mucus plug was either a whitish or yellow color and looked exactly like EWCM, not like a plug at all.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#11 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 12:25 PM

Never once in my life have I imagined "coagulated sperm." lol.
#12 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 02:00 PM

If it was a one time thing I would say it could be part of your mp. But it does come back and yes you can dtd. But if you are having it continually its probably just late pg mucous. You get juicy the closer you get to term.

Out of 7 pg I have never had bloody show or blood in my mp that occured naturally. Only after a ve or using cohoshes. So I wouldn't necessarily count that as an identifying factor.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#13 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 02:03 PM

I've lost bits of it before, but the only time it's brown, red or blood tinged is when it's right at the start of labor and the "real thing". That's just my experience, though. They do vary and if you have any concerns, I'd for sure contact your care giver to go be checked out. Better safe than sorry with a babe in NICU, imo.

#14 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't wear shoes and I bet my berkkies wouldn't hold near as much fluid as a pair of tennis shoes would!

Also, thanks for all the info

What EWCM? Also, DTD? Someone can PM me if you're not supposed to write those two things out. Thanks!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#15 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post
It's probably not your mucus plug. I had the same thing happen when I was pregnant with DD, actually BROUGHT IT IN for my OB to look at (gross, I know). She said it was coagulated sperm. :-/ And DH and I had not been intimate for a few days before that...I guess it had just been stuck up there. So gross, I know. ;-)
Ha ha ha! "Look Doc, I've been busy!" Hee hee. Sorry.

BabyMae: EWCM = egg white cervical mucus, referring to the type of vaginal discharge that often indicates ovulation when not pregnant.
DTD = did the deed. The deed being, you know, the act that got most of us pregnant? Get it?

SO, what if I'm wearing light cloth shoes that soak through rather than fill up? Does that mean my water did not break, should such an issue arise?

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#16 of 17 Old 03-08-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
SO, what if I'm wearing light cloth shoes that soak through rather than fill up? Does that mean my water did not break, should such an issue arise?
I know, right? It's really getting old. I swear, this on-call nurse has a script. I wonder sometimes if she's even paying attention to what I'm saying!

Also, thanks for the definitions

#17 of 17 Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
This thread is hilarious. I've been feeling grumpy today for no reason and now I'm actually laughing out loud. What if I laugh so hard I pee myself and that fills my shoe? Should I call your doc and say my water broke? What if my water breaks while my feel are up? Did it not really break then?

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page