A book I am loving - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Nursing Mother's Companion - it's excellent! I previously bought the LLL book (The Womanly Art of bf) but it hasn't come yet and in the meantime, my bradley instructor lauded the other one and said it has a lot of nitty gritty info and help, though the LL book was also good. I found it at Half Price Books this week and love it. I also found an infant massage book that looked cool.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#2 of 5 Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 PM

Not your DDC but thanks for the review! A coworker that just got back from maternity leave just gave it to me, so I'm glad to hear it's a great book! :
#3 of 5 Old 03-16-2009, 02:22 PM

I give this book to all my expectant mama friends as gifts, it really is an excellent book. I have one friend who calls it Breastfeeding 101, it really helped her a lot when she decided to nurse her second baby (and is still going strong!) The womanly art of breastfeeding does have really detailed info but it can be a bit overwhelming, the nursing mothers companion seems to simplify things and answers a lot of the questions that new moms have without having to go through pages and pages of info.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#4 of 5 Old 03-16-2009, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
When the LLL one arrives be prepared for some pretty hardline stances in there about staying at home and not working and pumping and other things like that.

I have one called Bestfeeding: Getting Breastfeeding Right for You: An Illustrated Guide by Mary Renfrew, Chloe Fisher, and Suzanne Arms that seems to have good in depth troubleshooting as far as latch and such goes, and great info and encouragement.
#5 of 5 Old 03-16-2009, 11:05 PM

I have to agree with the others, the LLL league one was too much for me to handle. It was intense and was not pro-working mom at all. I actually got so annoyed with it I didn't make it all the way through. I think the book needs an update for current times...

We create our own reality.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page