Refusing an IV - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are any of you girls that is going to the hospital refusing the IV?

I didnt think about it before, but when I got one on Friday night. I was so uncomfortable and concerned with pulling on it everytime I moved that I dont understand how anyone could wear that during labor, I wanna be thinking about pushing and what position Im the most comfortable in, not reminding myself to be careful with an IV.
#2 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 10:48 AM

Our plan is to be at the birth center, but if I were at the hospital, I would refuse a routine IV for fluids. If I had to get meds for some reason, I'd ask for a hep lock and DH would know to be diligent about when it would need to be in and not need to be in.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 10:49 AM

what's a hep lock?
#4 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 AM

I'm requesting a hep-lock. My veins are really hard to get a needle into on a good day, and frankly, in an emergency it would be a nightmare. I want to be stuck one time and that is it.

SereneBabe - a hep lock is like the first part of an IV, the "needle" that is in your vein, but it is capped off instead of being hooked to an IV bag. It gives the med staff easy access to veins in an emergency without the hassle of dragging an IV around with you. It also means you can monitor better what is being given to you since the staff wold have to get up close to you to access it.

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#5 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is a hep lock. They can turn it on and off that way you don't have to drag your bag around.

You do however have to be on task about who's touching what on you. Its easy to stick something in you without you really knowing. Especially when you are groggy or pi$$y.

Unless I turn up to be GBS+ I will refuse IVs and locks.

I'm skeptical about the hep that they use to flush the lock between uses. Its been known to cause issues in the past.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#6 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 11:08 AM

If I had to get transfered I would allow to have a heplock for an emergency because I to only want to be stuck once.
#7 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM

I'm requesting a heplock. And also that they don't put it in the top of my hand (like when I was in L&D for monitoring after a car accident) or in the crook of my elbow. I will request they put it in my forearm, where I think it will be the least intrusive for moving around.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#8 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_p_i View Post
I'm requesting a heplock. And also that they don't put it in the top of my hand (like when I was in L&D for monitoring after a car accident) or in the crook of my elbow. I will request they put it in my forearm, where I think it will be the least intrusive for moving around.
That is what I was thinking too, forearm so it doesn't get in my way.

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#9 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Banned

I will be at a hospital for my birth and unless I am GBS +. I will be refusing IV or hep lock. If GBS + I will only accept a hep lock.

I am not afraid of needles at all and have had plenty of IVs without issue but I had a dream last night about this very thing. I was in the hospital and my midwife and a nurse took a 3 inch long very wide needle and she forcefully stabbed it in my forearm until it was completely in and visible under the skin. I woke up sweating and thinking my arm genuinely hurt. Maybe Im starting to get paranoid about the idea of being stuck with needles during my birth. IDK...but I definitely don't see a justification for the IV or Hep lock if you are lacking any risk factors that would require either.
#10 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 AM

Having it in the top of my hand was awful, and it was just 4 hours of lying in a bed on a monitor! Every time I moved I felt like I was going to rip it out. I don't know why they put it there, maybe inexperienced and didn't want to start up too high, so they can keep sticking me if they need to. Anyway, it hurt and was uncomfortable, whereas the forearm is never bad for me.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#11 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Another reason to request somewhere other than your hand, besides the fact it burns, is during pushing you could actually push it out. Thats what happened with mine. I was grabbing the side things you pull yourself up on. Pretty soon my blood was going into the iv and therefore completely not working. Of course no one noticed but me , when I brought it to their attention they removed it.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#12 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am refusing the IV and the hep lock. In my previous labors I moved around a lot, the LAST thing I need is a frigging hole in my arm with something hanging out of it that could get caught on the bedrails, pillows etc.
#13 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 12:16 PM

Do they still use Heparin Locks in the USA??? Here in Manitoba we were trained with just saline locks - we flush the IV with regular saline every 2-3 hours to keep it clear. Heparin isn't used anymore.

That being said, I had an IV put in as needed. With my first it was when I had my epi put in and with my 3rd it was because I had a hemmorage after birth and required Oxytocin.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#14 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 PM

Last time I didn't get anything put in, not even a hep lock (hospital birth w/CNM). This time I'm going to to the same group, but they tell me they've gotten tougher about insisting on putting one in, and I've been putting off having that discussion for real...

... my veins are easy, and I'd really rather trust them to stab me hard when they need to than just offer up my arm from the beginning. Also, the tub was really helpful last time, and what -- get my arm wrapped in plastic to cover the hep lock when I'm in the water? Yuck!

(Also, the IVF that resulted in this pregnancy was at one of the big "assembly line" clinics; on retrieval day, they have like 12 women sitting around in gowns w/hep locks waiting their turn with the doctor... it was a sort of freaky scene, and I understand why they wanted it there, but I don't especially want to relive that bit of experience during labor...)

Academic mama to Miss T. (09/05) and Miss V. (05/09).
Oh, and (hence )
#15 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 01:37 PM

Yeah, if you can avoid it, do so! It was an annoyance for me in the pool especially. I did a lot of leaning on the bed sitting on the birth ball too and I had to be so careful about where I placed my hand.

And I still have a scar on the top of my hand from it!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#16 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 PM

I do not get anything like that unless needed. I was gbs+ last pregnancy and ended up with a hep lock. I had a water labor/birth and my midwife gave me a little floaty thing to put my arm on b/c I kept worrying about getting water in/around the hep lock. It was fine, however, unless needed, I won't be having anything like that.

That's definitely something for your birth plan.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#17 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

I've only had an IV on 3 different occasions, my veins are super hard to find and they always hurt me more than they need to. Even when Im getting a blood test my veins are hard to find, it just doesnt hurt so bad there as in the top of my hand.

Getting the IV fluids on Friday night was great because I was REALLY dehydrated, but I dont want it just because it's routine. I only had it for 2 hours and my hand ended up all bruised up, still is.
#18 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Banned

if anyone is getting an IV or a hep lock just remember that if you are dehydrated it can be extremely difficult to get a vein.

The only time I ever had a problem was when I was dehydrated and it took 4 sticks to get a vein.

drink drink drink puff those veins up!
#19 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Yep, their policy is heplock immediately for VBACs. I already told my OB, no, if I have another very long labor I might be okay with it, but I will not be getting it as soon as I'm there.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#20 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 PM

I had a saline lock with my last birth because of a history of hemmorhage. It was hell, and I will not do it again without a valid reason.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#21 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 08:16 PM

I was told that I would have to at least have a hep lock or go somewhere else to birth. lol One of the midwives said she would actually prefer me to find another practice if I was that serious about not wanting a hep lock. I was a bit taken a back by that. I don't really like her and hope that she isn't the one on call when I get to the hospital.

Natural minded Mama to two young amazing babes!
#22 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 PM

My OB did tell me she'd rather I did just in case, but I won't because it became a big pain during my long labor while trying to shower it had to be totally taped up, they had to keep flushing it and it was a pain. If I do end up getting drugs again then I will agree to it, but unless that happens I don't want to mess with it. My veins are great and easy to find. I prefer them being in my elbow anyway, not my wrist or my hand, so I'd rather they have to quickly stick it in my elbow than deal with it in an uncomfortable place just in case.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#23 of 29 Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 PM

I'm a VBAC and I'm told a Hep-Lock is "required". I'm still thinking about it - I'll probably agree to it, but maybe not.

Last time I didn't have one it, and when DS crashed and I needed an immediate IV for the C-section they had a heck of a time getting one in.

I'm planning on refusing the antibiotics and just using vaginal washes with Hibiclens if I turn out to be GBS positive.

If I do get one, I'll demand it only be on my forearm, and not on my hand or crossing my wrist or elbow. I also have a stockinette/fishnet type thing that hospitals have to cover the Hep-Lock. It's a soft stretchy fabric, and the tubes aren't hanging out everywhere. Also, it will be obvious if someone needs to peel back the fabric to give me any medicine.

ChaoticMum- I work in a couple of the local hospitals here, and although the word Hep-Lock is used, they actually flush with saline. The name has just stuck - you know, like calling all tissues Kleenex.

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
#24 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"Last time I didn't get anything put in, not even a hep lock (hospital birth w/CNM). This time I'm going to to the same group, but they tell me they've gotten tougher about insisting on putting one in, and I've been putting off having that discussion for real..."

Nobody can INSIST on anything. If there is a medical attendant in your room trying to INSIST that you have a procedure that you've declined, they are behaving inappropriately. Look at them like you'd look at a smelly guy screaming about the End Times on the subway (i.e., not hostile, but incredulous and uncomfortable with their lack of proper social boundaries) and go about your business. If you refuse to engage in the debate, you win, because they CANNOT place an IV or do anything else without your consent.
#25 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticMum View Post
Do they still use Heparin Locks in the USA??? Here in Manitoba we were trained with just saline locks - we flush the IV with regular saline every 2-3 hours to keep it clear. Heparin isn't used anymore.

That being said, I had an IV put in as needed. With my first it was when I had my epi put in and with my 3rd it was because I had a hemmorage after birth and required Oxytocin.
Re: the hep lock vs saline lock thing, I'm a nurse in the US and we do use saline locks, not heparin locks anymore. As far as I know, the only lines we flush with heparin are central lines, not peripheral IV's.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#26 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 11:39 AM

I'm kind of going back on forth on this. My midwives (FS birth center) don't require saline locks unless we want to do the antibiotics for GBS+. I didn't have a saline lock last time, and though I normally have huge awesome veins, I had to be stuck 7 times to get one in when I had a postpartum hemorrhage. I asked my midwife at my most recent visit whether I could have one just to make me feel safer, and she suggested we wait until my GBS test results and then discuss it further. I think it would make me feel more secure, but yeah, I don't really want one if it's going to totally hamper my movement during labor.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#27 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
Nobody can INSIST on anything. If there is a medical attendant in your room trying to INSIST that you have a procedure that you've declined, they are behaving inappropriately. Look at them like you'd look at a smelly guy screaming about the End Times on the subway (i.e., not hostile, but incredulous and uncomfortable with their lack of proper social boundaries) and go about your business. If you refuse to engage in the debate, you win, because they CANNOT place an IV or do anything else without your consent.
Smithie, I love this advice. Im a refusing an IV or lock (which ever one) unless im GBS+. I also switched midwives because my old one was not budging on allowing me to refuse the lock or the EFM. Maybe she cant make me do anything but in the end I felt more comfortable with someone who supported my wishes.

Advice, if you want to avoid a lock or IV, make sure you drink lots and lots of fluids to avoid dehydration. Must remember, we are not sick, we are having babies. Its enough precaution that we are even in the hospital, but being hooked up to IV, wires, monitors ect takes away from our natural and normal experience.
#28 of 29 Old 04-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_mama11 View Post
Re: the hep lock vs saline lock thing, I'm a nurse in the US and we do use saline locks, not heparin locks anymore. As far as I know, the only lines we flush with heparin are central lines, not peripheral IV's.
Thanks for the clarification! I hardly hear them referred to as hep locks anymore so that threw me off.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
#29 of 29 Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM

I has a hep lock with my first and hated it. I would request nothing be inserted into you unless you actually need an IV for fluids or something.

Even though the hep lock (and I suppose the saline lock) are not attached to anything, it really put me off. It has nothing to do with what they put in it, and everything to do with having a needle-type thing stuck in you!
It hurt my hand and made it VERY difficult to have a relaxed, natural labor. I couldn't lean on my hand or do anything, even though I could move around the room. They also limited my water exposure (like taking a shower), and made me wait to get it wrapped up. I swear I remember the "lock" on me more than anything else about my hospital birth (which was quite long and my dd was OP).

They should be able to get an IV in if there is an emergency!! I mean, jeez, they do have an ER don't they? I would hope they are as skilled as an emergency worker!

My dr. wouldn't okay me denying it with my 2nd child. So, I went to a birth center. Maybe I could have argued with the hospital staff in the moment of labor, but who needs that extra stress?

Andee (lurking from the June board - due 7/3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page