Mothering Forum banner

Mamas with nameless fetuses..

775 views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  trauerweidchen 
#1 ·
Im just wondering, am I the only one? I am 33 weeks along and I have two names that i cant decide between
. Well four including middle names. But now I plan to wait till birth to see what fits him better. Has anyone done that? And how did it work out?

See less See more
#3 ·
I was until monday, I did not have a girl name picked out at all and my previous ultrasounds were inconclusive IMO.
But we had to have another to check position on monday and we got verification it is a boy (which we have a name already).
So I know how you feel.
But I don't think its bad to wait until s/he comes out to name them. I was prepared that it may take a few days to a week to come up with a name that I would feel fit.

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.
I'm just glad the name we have picked out for a boy is AMAZING and I'm so in love with it even if people feel the need to disagree and tell me they don't like it.

#4 ·
still stumped on names here. I figure he won't be named until after he's born. We have some ideas. River, Rowan, Emmett, Max. dh claims he doesnt want an R name (our last name starts with R) but I think he's just being silly
I like all of those names, but none of them feel quite right. I'm hoping once we meet him a name will pop out and it'll be like DUH! Of COURSE his name is _____!

#5 ·
I am feeling the pressure! Not only am I faced with a premature birth now we also don't have a name. I did name my others before they came and I have to say I wasn't sure about my sons name for the first 6 months after we named him then he finally grew into it.

This one I thought we had agreed on Oliver then my husband decided he didn't like it. Now we are onto Jacob. It is very common I know but I just don't like most boy names. Anyways wishing you luck on coming up with names it is the first big job of making decisions for our little ones oh the pressure.

#6 ·
I have a girl name, but not sure on a boys name. I like Ian/Iain, but I just don't know. So if it's a boy, I'm a little stuck.
With our last 2, we had several months to name them as it took that long for the adoptions to be finalized. G had a name after about a week, but was 9 months old before we settled on a middle name. That was only because the lawyer called and needed a name for the birth certificate. LOL

I'm really hoping that if this IS a boy, we get the name figured out sooner than that.

#7 ·
Yep, you're closer than we are too. I think we have the middle name narrowed down to one or two, but we have a list of 10 or so possible first names and just aren't making much progress beyond that. We're sort of hoping she might be born with a nametag?? I'm currently telling people who ask that we'll just tell the nurse to pick a number between 1 and 10.

#8 ·
I have a bunch of names but I'm waiting until birth. I thought I had them all picked out but we ended up changing our minds yet again. I've ended up with lots of girl's names that I like this time around but only a couple of boy's names.

#10 ·
We have a girl first name - but no middle name (middle name is where we like to honour family, but not sure who to honour!), still having a very tough time with boy names.

I recently heard the story of DH's naming. He was about 3 weeks old and still nameless, when a census officer turned up at the door, asking who lived in the house and what their names were. His name (the name of a friend of his parents) was the first thing that popped into his mother's head, so that's what she gave as his name, and it stayed that way!

#11 ·
Nothing set yet either for us...
Girl: We have two possible girl names, I love both... No middle names. Had Lily as a middle name for a girl, but my husband's cousin used it in February :-( (They did not steal it, they were just first to have a baby this year, we had not told anyone about names...)
Boy: Well, we have 1 name that we can agree as a maybe... SO forget about middle name... I have a feeling this is a boy, and if I am right, this baby will not have a name right away...

#13 ·
We have nothing. Literally. Nothing. Every conversation disintegrates into joking and laughter...we're not fighting over names at all, we just haven't found any that really stick out to us. And I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow.

We don't know what we're having...I think we're both expecting he/she to come out with a nametag on. ;-)
Even the list I've been keeping for years of names I like don't seem to fit for this baby...I guess we'll come up with something once we meet him/her.

Don't feel bad...I'm a big fan of waiting until you've met baby to name them.

#14 ·
We have a girl's name - first and middle- picked out, and are so excited about it. We are hoping this one is a girl. DH is convinced it's a girl.

I really want to have a boy's name picked as well, and am stressing over it. DH keeps trying to look, but he's so convinced Baby is a girl that he can't get his mind to take it seriously. He ends up commenting on all the names that are obviously wrong for our situation. We have a list of 6 boy names that are "not awful" and are hoping that as we look at them and think about them that one or two will grow on us. I'd be open to having 2 or 3 boy names as possibilities and seeing which one fit Baby.

#16 ·
If this LO is a boy is still has a wide range of names so he is still nameless to me. Now, if it is a girl we have had that name selected for over 4.5 yrs now since I was preggo with DS1. I really do not want to have a nameless boy for over a day again but at least we are down to 10 names at this point though I would like to be closer like we were last time (had 2 names of which 1 became the 1st name and the other DS2's middle name).

#17 ·
We're in the club too. We have 2 possible boys names we both like and 2 possible girl names we both like (although one is super popular and I'm not sure I want to use it because of that). Not too worried about middle names. I personally think babies should come out with name tags on them

#18 ·
After having my first child, I realized that I need to meet the baby to make any decisions like what its name is. I mean a name defines a child in such a way. I need to meet my child to understand what his/her being truly is.

So......I have names picked out...but that's really it.

Here was the scenario w/ ds. I *thought* he would FOR SURE be named Echo. I was SET on Echo on every level; nevertheless, I had like 40 other names picked out, in case. Then, he was born, and he was NONE of the names I imagined him to be.

I was not originally concerned about this as I imagined that he would be a homebirth, and I could name him when I felt like I knew him well enough...but then I had to transport after 38 hours of labor...he was born another 8 hours later (vaginally!)...and we were not allowed to leave the hospital without naming him.

The name we ended up choosing was a name I'd never heard of before his birth...let alone considered. I think he came with that name, which is Casimir (KAS i mer). I found out later, that in the Catholic tradition, he was born on the Feast of St. Casimir and the Monday following his birth was Casimir Pulaski Day in Chicago.

They're little cosmic beings, in my mind.

#20 ·
russianthistle - awsome story!

well we have a pretty sure, girl name.. Avalon gwendolyn... with a few other backups. i feel like I need to meet the baby to know for sure.. DH thinks thats stupid... oh well. For a boy, last pregnancy he liked Gideon David, it grew on me, this pregnacy, i'm just not feeling the name and he's set on it. But i cant come up with even another suggestion! It is driving me crazy! Similar thing happened the pregnancy before Dh was set on 2 nems we thought of the previous pregnancy but I wasn't feeling them either. I WISH i had a list though.....

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by russianthistle View Post
After having my first child, I realized that I need to meet the baby to make any decisions like what its name is. I mean a name defines a child in such a way. I need to meet my child to understand what his/her being truly is.

So......I have names picked out...but that's really it.

Here was the scenario w/ ds. I *thought* he would FOR SURE be named Echo. I was SET on Echo on every level; nevertheless, I had like 40 other names picked out, in case. Then, he was born, and he was NONE of the names I imagined him to be.

I was not originally concerned about this as I imagined that he would be a homebirth, and I could name him when I felt like I knew him well enough...but then I had to transport after 38 hours of labor...he was born another 8 hours later (vaginally!)...and we were not allowed to leave the hospital without naming him.

The name we ended up choosing was a name I'd never heard of before his birth...let alone considered. I think he came with that name, which is Casimir (KAS i mer). I found out later, that in the Catholic tradition, he was born on the Feast of St. Casimir and the Monday following his birth was Casimir Pulaski Day in Chicago.

They're little cosmic beings, in my mind.
That is so cool!

Though I can't believe they won't let you leave the hospital until you name your kid. My midwife transferred with her second last birth, but didn't name him for 4 weeks. I have two other friends who took 6 weeks!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
We have some ideas. River, Rowan, Emmett, Max. dh claims he doesnt want an R name (our last name starts with R) but I think he's just being silly
I like all of those names, but none of them feel quite right. I'm hoping once we meet him a name will pop out and it'll be like DUH! Of COURSE his name is _____!
:

River is at the top of our list, but for a girl, rather than a boy.
I'm still stumped on boy names, though, and I'm open to the possibility that if it is a girl, she won't be a River. I was making myself crazy with name choices and then I just decided that we need to meet this little one face to face before we can really find out what his/her name is.

I did get an impression a few days ago in the shower that "she" might be a Lucy, which is odd, because that's not a name that we would probably choose... so I hope when she/he is born that a name we both really like ends up fitting well! It's just so hard to name someone you've never met, in my opinion. It's a lot of responsibility!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.