going into 3rd day of contractions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, i feel like i'm going to lose it. i've been having contractions roughly 5 minutes apart(not doing good with timeing, mostly using clock in the car )
for over 48 hrs. I'm 35 wks today, i went to OB yesterday, she told me i'm not allowed to be in labor till next weekend at the earliest ..lol That being said she checked and I was 4cm dilated and 30-40% effacted and very soft. I was not dilated the day before.

Before leaving she told me if things got stronger, water broke blahblahblah to come back and to try to lay down as much as possible, drink lots, etc.

my question is... can anyone think of anything i can eat, take, do, whatever to relax/calm the uterus maybe or otherwise help me, i'm super exhausted and concerned if this keeps going for more days(as i know it can) that i may end up to tired out to push or anything. even something to relax me would be helful maybe???

Also at appt she said i'm measuring Full term and baby feels pretty big so they want to induce by 38wks if i dont go before to avoid a c-section, i've proven i can only do 8 1/2 lb and thats WITH severe bruising. she thinks dates could still be off even though ultrasounds have shown the date being "fairly close"

Anyway, i'm babbling...if you have suggestions i'd love them! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 01:58 PM

oh man, sorry for the constant contrx. Maybe taking a long bath or shower would help to settle them a bit. Drinking lots of water. Thats all I can think of I'm sure the other ladies have more ideas.

I hope they settle down for you and baby hangs in there another week atleast.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 PM

Magnesium supplements. There is something called natures calm or something.

hh2.gif

Old 04-11-2009, 02:07 PM

I seem to recall hearing that red wine is good for calming down contractions.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:09 PM

Epsom salt bath (magnesium sulfate) will get your body the most magnesium. It's what they give some mothers in the hospital through an IVbag if they have pre-e and pre term labor.

We create our own reality.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 PM

Someone else may be able to give more details re how much, but I know a lot of midwifes prescribe a small amount of red wine in situations like this. Ina May talks about it in one of her books.
Maybe ask in care providers. I think it's just a small glass, enough to help you relax. Baths too
Old 04-11-2009, 02:17 PM

I've heard red wine during contractions will help ease them too. What I was reading was to drink a bit when you start going into labor and relax in the bath... may have been in an Ina May book? I'd drink a glass (average 4 ounce size) and see how you feel?? Anyway, try to relax mama!

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
Old 04-11-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

thanks.. i'll try i took a shower, helped my back but not contractions.. i never thought of the epsom salt bath..duh thanks! off to try that then maybe send dh for wine.. dont care for it but this is not fun!

thanks again! i'll check back later
Old 04-11-2009, 02:46 PM

I'm so with you. I was in L&D yesterday with contractions. They were able sto slow them down but they're still going...not the strong bring on the baby type but those early labor type. I'm home now and just trying to stay in bed as muh as possible. I'm 33 weeks with twins and they want me to get as close to 36 weeks as possible. The contractions are coming as close as every 2-3 minutes then puttering out for a while. It sucks! I'm going to try the magnesium supplement and epsom salt bath...the thought of getting into a tub is a little scary though...

Sorry to hijack your thread. Just wanted to say you're not alone. I think it's got to do with the weather. It's suddenly rainy here and we live in a desert. My uterus has been going ever since the clouds rolled in.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Chug water until when you pee, you cannot even tell by the color in the toilet that you peed. That's what my midwife told me yesterday!

Stay on your left side laying down as much as possible.

Lots of nice warm baths as long as your water has not broken.

It sounds like you are indeed in labor if you went from nothing 1 day to 4cm the next!

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
Old 04-11-2009, 03:17 PM

You can bathe even if your water has broken.

hh2.gif

Old 04-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I had a water birth so I do know that. I think the advice varies by practitioner, though.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
Old 04-11-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappingmom View Post
Also at appt she said i'm measuring Full term and baby feels pretty big so they want to induce by 38wks if i dont go before to avoid a c-section, i've proven i can only do 8 1/2 lb and thats WITH severe bruising. she thinks dates could still be off even though ultrasounds have shown the date being "fairly close"
Just so you know, this situation is more likely to end in a section than not inducing and letting things happen. I'm curious, why do you think you can only do 8.5lbs? Please read this article, it's really helpful. http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010115/302.html

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 04-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Magnesium supplements. There is something called natures calm or something.
ITA with this and red wine. Warm bath MAY help too. Try to do NOTHING until your 36 weeks. But your body does what it does when it is ready. G/L!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Man, lots of early arrivals in our DDC!

Mama, I feel for you. I had prodromal labor with dd1 and it sent me right round the bend - to the point where I went to the hospital in the middle of the night and asked for interventions to get things going, even though I was planning a homebirth!!! I was seriously out of my mind, but I did wind up having a great labor and birth at home a week after that midnight hospital visit.

One of the nurses at the hospital suggested Tylenol PM to get some relief from the contractions so I could sleep. That did work for me.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 PM

Ina May writes that women can try a shot of booze to fend off ctx. That and a bath, I think.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I'm 35 wks today, i went to OB yesterday, she told me i'm not allowed to be in labor till next weekend at the earliest

Um, babies come when they're ready! 35 weeks is almost term. Full term is anywhere between 38-42 weeks. So... your baby would *barely* be premie!

I'd just relax and see where labor takes you! Your OB said the baby feels full term, so I wouldn't worry too much

Good luck!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

Old 04-11-2009, 09:44 PM

Have you had plenty of calcium, potasium, magnesium? You need more than just water. Try something with electrolytes. I can't stay hydrated with water alone. I need powerade or vitamin water or something. Can you get to a pool and swim? Totally immersing yourself in water might be better than just a bath. Oh and becareful with the epsom salts, it can give you the runs.

I did want to make a note about the bruising. Its fairly common for babies to be bruised even after an easy delivery. It might have been a tight fit anyway but bruising is pretty normal. My 2nd smallest baby had some of the worst bruising. Hes eyes were swollen shut and his forehead was one big black and blue, and he flew out of me.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:29 PM

Please check out this thread. The 3rd post is especially helpful (no wine).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 AM

I've been having 3-7 minute apart contractions non-stop for the past 7 weeks now (I'm 33 weeks today). Here's my advice:

Lots of calcium and magnesium. I take 630mg of calcium citrate 3 times a day and 615mg of magnesium citrate (3 teaspoons of Natural Calm powder).

Daily epsom salt baths (2 cups of epsom salts added to the water)

1oz of hard alcohol (I do vodka since I don't drink and can mix it into a smoothie) when the contractions are super close (3 minutes apart) and not letting up.

Lots and lots of water, but add in a daily electrolyte drink as well.

Lots and lots of protein.

Rest on your side if you find the contractions are worse when you're up and about. I'm not on bedrest at all, but I do rest when they get super close together (5 minutes or less).

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
Old 04-12-2009, 07:23 PM

I just wanted to update that I took some Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin D supplements that I had and it got my uterus to calm down. I definitely echo that you try that. I called my midwife after I tried it and she told me "good job". She told me I could have some wine too, but I'm going to wait and have that when I really need it. It'll be a nice unwind for me and DH too, even though I'm on pelvic rest :
Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 PM

Totally OT, but I just noticed that the pp's bfing smilie (in her sig) is AA. I like the AA bfing smilie better than the Caucasian looking one... How come you get a pretty bfing mom?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 04-13-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
Just so you know, this situation is more likely to end in a section than not inducing and letting things happen. I'm curious, why do you think you can only do 8.5lbs? Please read this article, it's really helpful. http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010115/302.html
The reason for saying no bigger than 8.5lb is my DD#1 that size nearly didnt make it. She was bruised severely nearly to her abdomen. When she was coming down i was unable to open my legs until there was an audible pop and her head came thru my pelvis. The doctor then told me it wouldnt be safe for the baby if i had another that was any bigger and she was suprised her collar bone or soemthing else wasn't broken.

I've had to be induced for one reason or another every time(Pre-E, 2wks OD, water broke for 40hrs no ctx, etc).. I"m REALLY hoping to NOT be this time but induction is WAY better than section! They know i wont agree to section unless it is a true emergency not "their" emergency(like needing to get home to their fav show ) I've gone 54 1/2 hrs from water breaking to delivery before.. they know i'm stuborn about not sectioning and 2 of the 3 docs agree i cant handle a section and recovery time involved. which is the only reason i'm kinda in agreement on inducing then. It is still up to me though.

i dont put to much faith in size from ultrasounds either BUT i'm measuring 5weeks ahead and lost 2lb those speak more to me than other stuff.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMae09 View Post

Um, babies come when they're ready! 35 weeks is almost term. Full term is anywhere between 38-42 weeks. So... your baby would *barely* be premie!

I'd just relax and see where labor takes you! Your OB said the baby feels full term, so I wouldn't worry too much

Good luck!
She was teasing how she said it...like you can controle when baby comes! yes the aim is full term(min 38wks) BUT 36 IS better than35, 37 is better than 36..etc
Old 04-13-2009, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

update- took the calcium and magnesium, i thought maybe they had slowed some, took a back toook some of the soreness but only a little contractions picked up quite quickly to 3 minutes apart and rather uncomfortable, had to blow thru a couple of them so decided to go to the hospital. Dilation hadn't changed and no fluid leaking, i was questioning that on the way in, contractions were about 2min 45sec apart lasting just over a min. but not "doing" anything.. so i got sent home to rest better than i had been.

Well, i'm laying back, doing basicly nothing(which stinks!!!) i'm totally exhausted, the contractions have become irregular which is good butt they are still driving me crazy!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
they know i'm stuborn about not sectioning
Good Stick to your guns. I hope that when it comes time for your induction, you will be ripe and ready to go .

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 04-14-2009, 04:39 AM

Hope you keep that baby in there a little longer. Oh, and I forgot to mention to make sure you keep your bladder empty. I always have a lot more contractions when I have a full bladder. When my contractions started up at 26 weeks they were only lasting about 15 seconds. As the weeks have passed by they've gotten progressively longer-- from 30 seconds to now a little over a minute each time. I hope you can get some rest. I know how much they suck!

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
Old 04-14-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Totally OT, but I just noticed that the pp's bfing smilie (in her sig) is AA. I like the AA bfing smilie better than the Caucasian looking one... How come you get a pretty bfing mom?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
Hope you keep that baby in there a little longer. Oh, and I forgot to mention to make sure you keep your bladder empty. I always have a lot more contractions when I have a full bladder. When my contractions started up at 26 weeks they were only lasting about 15 seconds. As the weeks have passed by they've gotten progressively longer-- from 30 seconds to now a little over a minute each time. I hope you can get some rest. I know how much they suck!

yes i've definetley noticed they are worse with a full bladder ... problem is i ALWAYS feel full! lol

User Tag List