Question for those of you that have refused or plan to refuse the Group B Strep Test - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-15-2009, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a question for those of you that have refused or plan to refuse the Group B Strep Test. I refused the Group B Strep test this week. I was told that the most common risk factor they see is your membranes being ruptured for 18 hours and not being in labor because they don't deliver babies before 37 weeks and they rarely see moms with fevers due to Group B Strep.

They said that if my membranes have been ruptured for over 18 hours and I'm not in labor that they will be more likely to consider transferring me to the hospital because I'm seen as a risk then.

Have any of you been told this? What are your plans to avoid being transferred to the hospital if the above were to happen? Will you just give in and take antibiotics? Will you try to naturally stimulate labor once your membranes have ruptured if your not already in labor? Will you just not tell them that your membranes have ruptured?

Carolyn
#2 of 10 Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 PM

I need to ask about Hibiclens if that would be accepted as treatment at the birth center should I have risk factors. However, ours treats based on all three risk factors, I think, not just one, though I better double check that too . I'd def. try to get labor doing if it wasn't already.

Also, I won't have to transfer if waters are broken 18+ hours and not in labor, they would just encourage the abx at the birth center and continue labor there and use natural methods to get things going.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 10 Old 04-15-2009, 11:59 PM

It sounds like not knowing your GBS status is complicating things. Can I ask why you refused? Its one of the less invasive tests and regardless of what the result is you can always refuse treatment. So just knowing the answer might make these kinds of decisions easier for you.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#4 of 10 Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 AM

My mw doesn't routinely do the GBS test so I didn't do it this time around, I tested negative with my last pregnancy. She treats based on risk factors during labor, I've never heard of prolonged rupturing of membranes being one of those unless you had already tested positive. It may be helpful to know your status, but I would also want to find out how they plan to treat it during labor and if you can do Hibiclens in addition to other natural treatments should you come up +.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#5 of 10 Old 04-16-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

I refused the test because if you do test positive it makes it harder for you to refuse antibiotics at my birth center. I don't feel that it's that accurate of a test since you could test negative at 36 weeks and be positive at birth or vice versa.

I asked about the Hibiclens. They said that they won't help me do the Hibiclens at all. They also said that if I used Hibiclens, it wouldn't change their minds about considering transferring me to the hospital after 18 hours of ruptured membranes and no labor.

Carolyn
#6 of 10 Old 04-16-2009, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
It sounds like not knowing your GBS status is complicating things. Can I ask why you refused? Its one of the less invasive tests and regardless of what the result is you can always refuse treatment. So just knowing the answer might make these kinds of decisions easier for you.
I didn't because if I tested positive, it wouldn't really change anything and might add more stress. I'd have to go to the hospital if I wanted abx. In a week or so I'll probably start doing a clove of garlic vaginally at night, taking probiotics and extra C as a prophylactic measure. If my water is broken for an extended period of time, I'll do hibiclens, just in case. If I KNEW I was positive and my water was broken for an extended period, well, I'd still do a hibiclens, but I'd probably get a little stressed out.. and I just don't need that.

If I end up transferring to the hospital, I'm sure they'll just assume I'm positive and push abx. And well.. I don't really care. If I end up transferring I'll be too devastated about the location to really care much about whats in the IV, to be honest..

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#7 of 10 Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 AM

Ok, I get where you ladies are coming from, I guess. I am GBS+ (this time and was last time) and I'm just glad that I know. I'm doing an herbal protocol and will be using the hibiclens during labor.
I guess my point before was knowing that I have it, I'm going to deal with it, but knowing I DON'T have it would make it easy for me to relax in the event of a transfer and be able to refuse abx.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#8 of 10 Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
I've never heard of prolonged rupturing of membranes being one of those unless you had already tested positive. It may be helpful to know your status, but I would also want to find out how they plan to treat it during labor and if you can do Hibiclens in addition to other natural treatments should you come up +.
FYI This mothering article mentions the risk of 18 hours of membrane rupture:

Quote:
There are three significant factors that place a woman at increased risk of delivering an infant who becomes ill from GBS: fever during labor, her water breaking 18 hours or more before delivery (prolonged rupture of membranes, or PROM), and/or labor or broken water before 37 weeks gestation.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#9 of 10 Old 04-16-2009, 01:07 PM

Did not test. Would not take the abx anyways so I prefer not to know I am +. As LilStar said, it would just add more stress.

But will most likely end up with a transfer if the risk factors present...
I have never had to take antibiotics in my entire life and my MW would be worried about allergic reaction if giving me the abx at home.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#10 of 10 Old 04-16-2009, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I didn't test. I was positive with my first child, and they didn't give me the test results until I showed up in labor at the hospital, then they gave me abx against my will, and still drew blood from DS and tried to demand he be separated from us in the nursery for observation for 2 days (screw that, he roomed in and we left at 24 hours). If the waters are broken a long time, especially if baby is coming before the due date, I will consider doing the hibiclens at home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page