Chat Thread: April 19th-25th - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Home visit this morning. GBS negative.

I can't decide if I want to get a pool or not. Last time, the water made my pain worse, but I have a tiny bathroom with a half tub, so I am worried I am going to want to be in water and can't even get in the bath.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#62 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Yay GBS neg!

And whoever it was who was talking about getting something new for baby to wear home, I totally understand. I'm still debating doing it, but really, we have so many hand me down clothes that the last thing this girl needs is more of them. We got lots and lots of clothes as gifts too, but very few in the NB/0-3 mo sizes. (One NB outfit to be precise, and while it will be good indoor a/c, there's no way it's working for going home--way too warm here that time of year, I think. But I don't really know how you decide how many clothes to put on a new baby either.)
#63 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 12:51 PM

I don't have anything special for baby to wear home. I think my birth center manual recommends a footed one-piece I guess. I have some newborn onesies - maybe I should bring one of those sleepers.

I have two hours or so of work, my last day, and I can NOT wait to get out of here. Problem employee, financial questions from corporate...I want it all behind me!!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#64 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 03:13 PM

lissa-yay, GBS-!!

Cook-:hoorah for last days at work!

Major mama-I was thinking the same thing, I did a ton of nesting and if I go over too much the house will need cleaning again, ugh.

I had my 39 week appt today and I am 1cm, 25% effaced and the head is -3. So basically, no labor impending. I have had a feeling I will go over, my best guess is May 5th. I feel pretty good and I am sleeping well. However, I can see myself going a little stir crazy because I am not working and most everything is done in the house.

We create our own reality.
#65 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 03:36 PM

Okay, I take back saying it was a quarter size. It was more like 3 times a quarter size. I need to go buy some new EPO pills. I was going to use the same ones from my last pregnancy but they seemed to maybe smell funny and I didn't want to take any chances.

I feel tired, antsy, and blech today. I feel like I should be doing something but don't really have the energy to.

Natural minded Mama to two young amazing babes!
#66 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misbehavedmeg View Post
I feel tired, antsy, and blech today. I feel like I should be doing something but don't really have the energy to.
This was me yesterday! I'm trying to organize things today, but my stenciling project isn't going so well. And until I finish those drawers, it doesn't make sense to put things in the dresser.

So - any suggestions for how to organize each drawer? There are 6 drawers. Originally I had 0-3 months in one drawer, 3-6 in the next, etc. But now I've got too much to fit in an organized way. Plus there are all the little blankets, and socks, etc. I'm just not sure what to put where!

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#67 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 03:45 PM

I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

::::::

I can't believe I'm done with my job!!!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#68 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 03:46 PM

Congratulations Alicia!!! :

#69 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 03:47 PM

Cook!! YAY!! Last day of work!! I remember thinking that was the BEST.DAY.EVAR. when I was pregnant w/ DD.

Nothing exciting from my end...we're enjoying (har har NOT) a heat wave in SF...which means it's like 80-90 degrees and all people who've lived here more than 6 months are officially melting from heat exhaustion. I'd avoided swelling until yesterday...now my feet and hands look like giant sausages.
Oh and hey, it's supposed to RAIN on Saturday, so mild weather is not in the forecast any time soon.
And the one fan we have broke last night.
I have my 38w appointment tomorrow, wondering if the MW will do an internal exam and if I'll let her if she wants to...I'm thinking yes, just to satisfy my curiousity. They haven't done any internals yet.
I've been having very few contractions and very little cramping...I think I'm going to be pregnant for at least 2 more weeks. which might be good, since it will give me time at least to stock the freezer with some meals.
other than that, today I feel a little snarky and grumpy. Mostly from reading a dumb article by a dumb mommy blogger whining about people being mean to kids on airplanes and then further compounded the problem by reading all the hateful comments people were making about kids. I can't decide what's worse, self-indulgent, totally in-denial, naive parents who think their kids are perfect little environmentally friendly, bi-lingual snowflakes, or the "breeders are ruining the world stop having kids now we HATE YOU" people. I think the anti-breeders are worse since...WHO HATES KIDS?! All I want to say to those people is...don't you remember being a kid? Seriously? Who pees in these peoples' cornflakes every morning to make them forget that they were kids once and that kids are kids and...holy cow, what if their parents had had the same attitude about kids?
Gah. So yes. snarky. grumpy. hot. going to venture out into the heat to find some ice cream.

#70 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 PM

Minor vent.
So much to do.
So little time and energy (again).
So little (read: no) help.
*sigh*

Positives:
We have car seats for both LOs.
Clothes and diapers (even if they are 'sposies) too.
Some freezer meals are made.
The house is (mostly) clean and more organized than it's been since before DS2 was born.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#71 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post
I can't decide what's worse, self-indulgent, totally in-denial, naive parents who think their kids are perfect little environmentally friendly, bi-lingual snowflakes, or the "breeders are ruining the world stop having kids now we HATE YOU" people. I think the anti-breeders are worse since...WHO HATES KIDS?! All I want to say to those people is...don't you remember being a kid? Seriously? Who pees in these peoples' cornflakes every morning to make them forget that they were kids once and that kids are kids and...holy cow, what if their parents had had the same attitude about kids?
Gah. So yes. snarky. grumpy. hot. going to venture out into the heat to find some ice cream.
We could only wish their parents had had the same attitude since then they wouldn't have been born. The "anti-breeders" I know (and yes I do know some) have had abortions when they've had the "inconvenience" of becoming pregnant despite their other precautions.
(I don't really mean that first part, but of course that's conveniently ignored in their philosophy.)

ETA: I should add that, while I don't agree with their philosophy or life choices, I'm glad to live someplace where they are free to live as they see fit and express their opinions- even if I don't appreciate it when they think they have the right to tell me how to live.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#72 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 04:12 PM

Finally jumping in here!

Had my 36w appt yesterday. I'm almost 2cm but cervix is still pretty long and thick. No sign of my plug yet but I too always (out of habit) check the tp when I wipe!

My first came home in a gown....not sure what I was thinking So really convienent in a car seat? My second I brought a carters NB footed sleeper and she was swimming in it (6lbs 7.5 oz) I think this time I'll be bringing a premie outfit and a newborn (just in case) just not sure if it'll be a footed one or not. I haven't decided yet.

Congrats Cook on being FREE!!

Jpi: what about socks and onesies/tshirts in the top drawers and blankets in the bottom drawers. Putting the outfits, pants and tops in the rest. I would probably put the bigger sizes in a box/basket/bin in a closet and bring those out when needed. Not sure if that helped at all. You'll probably end up reorganizing a bunch after babe is here and you are going into the drawers often, finding that putting certain things higher lowere or together works better.

The nesting has finally kicked in high gear and I am going through stuff like mad! I should have known I'm a late nester. It was the same way with the other two.

Oh and I totally agree that I hope baby comes in a timely fashion so I don't have to "Nest" again, ugh that would stink!
#73 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 05:59 PM

I picked up some of my maternity prints and I love them:. Can't wait to hang them on the wall!!

non-breeders: lame. they belong in a city all their own. My work is the most family oriented place, I think people who are single or who don't have kids feel more out of place.

coming home outfit: I have a footed, long sleeved sleeper. I hope it is big enough! DS wore many of his 0-3 clothes once, he was even too big for many of the cloth diapers we had.. We plan on shopping once the baby gets here, there is a great thrift shop and another consignment shop. Whatever gender the baby is we will have to get clothes . Love the tiny things, so cute!

#74 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 PM

So I completely didn't realize that my home visit is today. I though it was tomorrow They're supposed to get here in an hour or so and I just finished picking up the house. Now I'm going to sit on my bum and relax a bit.

Coming home outfit - DS wore a Carter's footed sleeper and he was swimming in it (He came home at 6lbs. 14oz.) so I would recommend having a preemie and a newborn outfit on hand if you're concerned about sizing. He didn't actually fit into newborn clothes for 2 weeks or so.

Woohoo for no more work, cookAMH!

j_p_i - I organize by sizes, so newborn/0-3 month in the first drawer and then I have a little storage container separating the two sizes that holds socks and hats. In the next drawer I do 3-6/6-9 and then another storage container in-between that holds bibs. The towels and washcloths are in a tote on top of the dresser and the blankets are on a shelf in the closet. My kids will share a dresser so DS's stuff is in the first two drawers, and then there's a smaller drawer at the very top that holds his socks. I hang up shirts, sleepers, gowns, and overalls/rompers.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#75 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I also organize by sizes, keeping the bigger stuff in a bin in the closet (subdivided with plastic bags). When you are all exhausted and weepy, you want every darn thing in the drawers to fit perfectly!

... and on that same note, I have several preemie-sized outfits and always keep my eyes open for more at consignment sales, etc. I just HATE it when the baby's clothes are too big. Hate it hate it hate it.
#76 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Does anyone else find it messed up that pregnant women (myself included) when getting close to term actually WANT to find disgusting slime in their panties or on their TP? "Yay! I have weird crap coming out of me!!" :
This made me laugh out loud for real. With #1 I was vigilant and saw the teeniest little scrap of mucus and knew it couldn't be everything, but figured it was the beginning. Then there was more, and I thought, oooh, that's it! Then I saw the unfathomable amount that came out during active labor and laughed at myself for thinking the previous amounts were the least bit interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_p_i View Post
So - any suggestions for how to organize each drawer? There are 6 drawers. Originally I had 0-3 months in one drawer, 3-6 in the next, etc. But now I've got too much to fit in an organized way. Plus there are all the little blankets, and socks, etc. I'm just not sure what to put where!
I keep all sizes that aren't current bagged and labeled in the basement. Otherwise I would not have room open the door. We are lucky to have a lot of clothes handed down, handed across, and bought for us, but I think I should hire someone to keep them organized!

Speaking of which..... I am over the threshold gestational age to deliver at my good hospital so I am now nesting like mad! Have to go start the washer and reorganize the boys' room.... boys. I'm going to have boys.
#77 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Glad to hear GBS-s.

Alicia~ Enjoy your free time.

Erin~ Hope the stenciling is going a bit better. Cannot help with organizing. LOs clothes this time will be in a box for awhile unless I can clean out a drawer in my own dresser or get a fabric closet hanging thing.

Had my 36 wk appt today with the OB so I had my 1st internal and GBS test along with something else. I was not expecting to be anything but he said I was at least a 1 and certainly soft.

Now, I have to figure out if when I went to Urgent Care out of state when we thought I might be losing this LO whether their blood draw included certain tests bc now I am required to have them since I have to be in a hospital setting or they will poke the baby and I would have to fight not to bc the hospital would be their lawyer involved most likely bc it is a state thing. Well, I think if I have been - for the tests twice now and both DH and I are only DTD with each other I would still be - for these things since they are STDs. I think they just want to take more $$ from us since we are self pay.

I did get find the yarn I needed to finish the baby blanket so hopefully now I can finish that before baby comes if LO is a boy (have my girl ones done). I also got my boy outfit but a bit worried about it since it is 3-6 months. DS1's was 3-6 months and so big on him. But that was the only pieces I liked so I am hoping I can find a smaller size when I go to Chicago this wked.

MIL is annoyed with me bc I refused to show her the outfit I got but she is already annoyed we did not find out the sex but whatever. This is our kid and not hers! She also keeps asking about how much I weigh which is none of her business. You would think she would get the hint not to ask. I mean my own mother knows not to ask. If I want to tell you then I would.

Time for the boys' shower since soccer got cancelled.

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
#78 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 PM

I've been trying to get my birth ball ready but the pump broke and the ball is FULL and tight and 5-6cm short on the diameter. I'm so annoyed! I don't want to deal with this now nor try to find and fill another one. UGH. I got the 65cm for a reason. I emailed the company.

#79 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 08:00 PM

Home visit was excellent, I am free to have a baby now! I got to meet the assistant and my post-partum doula also. Still measuring around 33 1/2cm since babe is so low, but all sounds good.

Cook - What birth ball do you have? The company should at least send you a replacement I would think.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#80 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 PM

Managed to finish washing the walls in DS2's new room. Now all that has to be done to make it actually habitable is to paint it and put down flooring (note that I say habitable not "look good" or anything of the sort).
I'm so completely wiped out today. I could have gladly gone back to bed the moment I got out of bed this morning.

#81 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Cook - What birth ball do you have? The company should at least send you a replacement I would think.
This one. I'm hoping they at least send a new pump and explain why it won't fill as full as 65 cm.

Yay re: home visit!

Wohoo the church in Seattle said we can come in June so we can all come. Thing is we need to get tickets soon. We'd hate to push it all the way to the last weekend in June since they are accommodating. Due date is 5/11. I will have to be induced 5/24 at 42 weeks if no baby. If that late, it would be pushing it to go before the last weekend in June. However, if baby comes before 40 weeks (no way to know), say early May, then June 17ish is probably reasonable. We'll see. Anyone travel after birth before? I don't think we can swing waiting till 6 weeks pp unless baby comes early.

#82 of 152 Old 04-21-2009, 08:59 PM

Well I did figure out how to redo the stenciling so it won't run... but I haven't done it yet

Thanks for the organizational suggestions mamas, sometimes I feel like my brain just stalls! After taking everything out of the drawers to paint them, and then getting some hand-me-downs from my cousin, it just seemed like there was *way* too much in the room to fit where it needed to! I'm going to go through the clothes and keep everything sized 6 months and under out. The rest I will pack away for a bit. Then I think I'll do the onesies and t-shirts in one drawer, socks & hats in another, blankets, and outfits, etc. Then we'll see where I'm at!

Katie - glad your home visit went well!

Lisa Marie - sorry your MIL still seems to be a source of frustration! But at least you got your yarn... knitting absolutely relaxes me

#83 of 152 Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 AM

I just watched some of the TV show "I didn't know I was pregnant". I hate the dramatization of TV :. I can handle them exaggerating, but they made comments to the effect of, "it is so dangerous to deliver a baby at home" "GBS can be life threatening to a newborn and we didn't know her status"

come on.

#84 of 152 Old 04-22-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
This one. I'm hoping they at least send a new pump and explain why it won't fill as full as 65 cm.
My ball was hard to get to size the first time, then we tried filling it again a few days later and were able to get it to size. So, maybe wait a few days and give it another shot?

Had my home visit on Friday, everything is good to go, I'm "allowed" to homebirth as early as this Saturday (and they'll give me some leeway should I go into labour earlier). Bad news was that GBS swab was positive : It was negative last time so I'm pretty bummed about it. They agreed to treat based on risk factors though. I'm also going to do the echinacea/vit C regimen and ask to retest at my 38 week appointment to see if I can get a negative. Hopefully 2 weeks is enough to clear it up. Anyone got any info on how MUCH vit C/echinacea?

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#85 of 152 Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
My ball was hard to get to size the first time, then we tried filling it again a few days later and were able to get it to size. So, maybe wait a few days and give it another shot?
I can try that. Did you deflate it and start all over? We filled it a good bit last week and then kept going a little the last couple nights as I thought of it.

#86 of 152 Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
I can try that. Did you deflate it and start all over? We filled it a good bit last week and then kept going a little the last couple nights as I thought of it.
I think we let it deflate a little bit, but not all the way.

Quote:
I just watched some of the TV show "I didn't know I was pregnant". I hate the dramatization of TV . I can handle them exaggerating, but they made comments to the effect of, "it is so dangerous to deliver a baby at home" "GBS can be life threatening to a newborn and we didn't know her status"

come on.
I like how they make it out to be SO amazing that these women are able to birth without dying since the didn't have the "benefit" of having an epidural. sheesh.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#87 of 152 Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 AM

There was a story in the news because a woman ended up accidentally having her baby at home and 3 police officers helped. The news anchor was all "IT happened in a living room, instead of a delivery room and all without an obstetrician!" in a voice of doom.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#88 of 152 Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
I just watched some of the TV show "I didn't know I was pregnant". I hate the dramatization of TV :. I can handle them exaggerating, but they made comments to the effect of, "it is so dangerous to deliver a baby at home" "GBS can be life threatening to a newborn and we didn't know her status"

come on.
Did you know that every single person who has a hangnail DIES?!?

Eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
I'm also going to do the echinacea/vit C regimen and ask to retest at my 38 week appointment to see if I can get a negative. Hopefully 2 weeks is enough to clear it up. Anyone got any info on how MUCH vit C/echinacea?
I'm also very interested in some information here. I've been chugging orange juice (not my favorite), taking probiotics regularly for once, and eating a lot of garlic hoping for a negative swab next week. I want to do things that I am pretty sure *can't* hurt and that I can keep up until birth - how well would echinacea fit into those requirements?

I got out the little bitty baby clothes last night despite my best efforts to wait until May 1. I have some yellow staining that's showed up since DS1 was that size 2 years ago (that or I lost my ability to see stains in the haze of having a tiny baby... also possible). Is there a special trick to getting them out? I'm thinking some stain remover and oxiclean soak and dry on the line should get me somewhere but does anybody have any advice?
#89 of 152 Old 04-22-2009, 03:38 PM

OK, I told my work they could call in emergencies. I am screening my phone calls and didn't answer one today that turned out to be someone from work. Gee wiz, survive without me already!

#90 of 152 Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM

you've not even been done 24 hours right Alicia?

I've been able to do half days and then do some work from home. I'll have to do this once baby comes, work from home that is. Since DH is in school full-time and only works weekends, I'll still need to supplement our income significantly. This idea makes me a bit stressed, honestly, since I don't know how to balance work life with a baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page