Birth Plan - Is it really worth it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-20-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if I should bother writing a birth plan this time around. My first pg, I was all idealistic and wrote this glorious birth plan that got totally thrown to the side after I never progressed at the hospital. Second pg, I never bothered with a birth plan and didn't deliver in a hospital anyways, so it didn't really matter. And it was a wonderful birth. Third time around? Not sure what to do.

I'm planning on delivering in a hospital and have leftover anxiety from #1, I think, about things not going as planned and feeling out of control. Yet I also feel way more experienced and empowered this time around to state my decisions plainly. So is it necessary to write one out?
#2 of 10 Old 04-20-2009, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
How far off the routine for this hospital are your wishes? Will your doctor or midwife order what you want already? A brief reminder sheet wouldn't hurt if you want the staff to go off their method they know by rote. No need to be too specific about everything, only what has an effect on how they'll do their jobs. My birth plan was very helpful with my first, they read it and adjusted accordingly, though natural birth or even vaginal birth to some extent was sort of off the norm for them.
#3 of 10 Old 04-21-2009, 01:34 AM

My doula had a form with standard procedures questions for my OB so we could see what she normally did for vbacs. From that we were able to design our birth plan. Tomorrow I take the birth plan to my OB and she will okay it. Then we will have her sign it so that if we have a different OB or a cranky nurse they will see that our OB said those things were okay and they can call her with questions. My doula said this is a nice way to give the birth plan more 'umpf'.

Jill - 2.5 year old b/g twins and our new son (May 2009)
#4 of 10 Old 04-21-2009, 12:32 PM

I was kinda feeling this way too for a while, well alot of the pregnancy really.

I AM doing a birth plan though, i'm writing out details for myself sort of thinking thru the whole hospital delivery deal and what I WANT I can be as dreamy as i want with that, give me a "perfect" goal delivery to aim for KWIM?!, then from there i'll write my birth plan to hopefully get me as close to it as possible but with notes saying should this happen then I want this or that. Most importantly though I thinkis the parts of what I WONT agree to and DONT want. I dont want pain meds pushed every 5 minutes, i've delivered 5 times without it... We dont vax due to seizure reaction history so i dont even want the vax brought into the room to eliminate the risk of "accidental" vaxing. I dont want the cord cut until the placenta is delivered unless baby is in destress. I wont agree to a c-section for baby not moving down fast enough, or otherwise not being fast enough in any phase... i'm fine with things taking a day or two if needed as long as baby isnt in danger.. true danger not maybe danger.

I'd at least say to put a bullet point type listing of things you feel absolute about and you want/dont want at minimum
#5 of 10 Old 04-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
How far off the routine for this hospital are your wishes?
that. I went on a tour and they more then once said "if you're with the MW we do/don't blah blah" (start IVs, make you lay down etc) If you have an obgyn or hospital that has standing orders you don't agree with, they I would make a point of that.

I just have one sheet of paper that says

I would like to:
labour on my own, please do not offer medication, do not restrict my movement or eating/drinking

No IV (unless GBS+)

no circumcision, no eye goop

-------

everything else is standard, they baby never leaves the room, they allow time to bond and BF before 'starting the tests' which they do in room.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#6 of 10 Old 04-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarissaM View Post
I'm planning on delivering in a hospital and have leftover anxiety from #1, I think, about things not going as planned and feeling out of control. Yet I also feel way more experienced and empowered this time around to state my decisions plainly. So is it necessary to write one out?
I would say yes, because you may not necessarily be in a position at the right time to SPEAK up. Maybe just include the things that are essential and where you will NOT give on, and the rest you can take as it comes.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#7 of 10 Old 04-21-2009, 12:46 PM

Yeah, like kriket, most of what I might be concerned about is standard at the hospital I'll be at,--No episiotomy (well, that's standard for my mw and her backup ob anyway), natural birth encouraged, rooming in required (no nursery available for healthy babies) and breastfeeding encouraged, etc. My mw has even encouraged me to bring along a labor pool, and apparently they won't mind if I (ok, DH) just sets it up in the bathroom. If I'm GBS-, and the m/w is ok with no IV (I think so), I'll probably try to get that into my file somewhere, as well as whatever she's ok with regarding eating/drinking, because I'm not sure how standard those are at this hospital.
#8 of 10 Old 04-21-2009, 01:55 PM

I think it's worth it...but what i'm hearing OVER and OVER again, is keep it short! Like 3X5 card short. I worked at an OB office for years before having kids and whenever they got a birth plan there was much eye-rolling amongst the nurses especially.

I think writing a birth plan is good because it will help you put into words what YOU want for your delivery and maybe provide some good opportunities to discuss the whole thing with your DH or birth partner. But maybe consider writing the long version for yourself and just condensing the very important things down for actually giving to your doctor/MW and hospital staff.
I also heard it's good to bring bribery treats w/ your birth plan for the nursing station. ;-) I'm seriously considering having a batch of cookies on hand in the house to grab and run with when we leave the house...

#9 of 10 Old 04-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

I am definitely doing a birth plan, almost more for my peace of mind than anything. I have a very detailed one that DH is required to memorize word by word and then another much shorter one that will go to the nurses at the hospital etc...

I am really bothered by people reporting about nurses and OBs who simply roll their eyes at women's birth plans if they are more than few sentences long...Excuse me, but I believe I came to you for a service and I expect to be treated as such. It really rubs me the wrong way that many seem to disregard it or the mother as a nut or control freak...I fully reserve the right to be controlling about how I want things thank you!! It is my birth and this is your job!
#10 of 10 Old 04-21-2009, 03:55 PM

I'm just doing a short list of my preferences. The hospital I'm going to is quite open and encouraging to natural birth, and I've already been ensured that they will not offer medications/interventions unless I ask or request them. Each room is equipped for a water birth, you labor, birth, and room-in all in the same room. My DH is in nursing school, familiar with hospitals, and is very vocal, and my mom is acting as my doula, also very vocal. They are both aware of my desires and preferences, and so my plan for the hospital will just be a short list for the nurses so they know ahead of time.

I'd say it's worth doing something, even if it's just something that you use to help you visual your experience. Personally it helped me feel prepared for labor and birth, so that in itself was worthwhile

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page