Lower Leg Pain While Sleeping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-22-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else have lower leg pain similar to what I've described below while sleeping? This pain doesn't occur every night and it's not at a certain time. I'll wake up to my lower left leg (between my knee & foot) hurting like crazy. I rub it and it hurts for like 10-20 seconds and then the pain goes away. Does anyone know what this is? It hasn't ever happened to me until these last couple months of my pregnancy.

Carolyn
#2 of 4 Old 04-22-2009, 02:36 PM

I had something very similar a bit earlier in pregnancy. What usually happened for me was I'd stretch in bed and then my calf muscle would get very tight and painful, sort of like a spasm or a charley horse. I'd have to rub it and try to relax and it would slowly dissapate. The best conclusion I could come to was that it really was just a charley horse, but I wasn't sure what caused it, other than that they aren't uncommon in pregnancy. It always happened in the middle of the night, though. Calcium+magnesium supplements are supposed to be good for muscle aches and pains, and I think RRL tea helps too because of the calcium in it. I haven't (*knock on wood!*) had it happen in awhile, and I think maybe drinking more RRL tea has helped, but I don't really know for sure.

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM

We've been discussing nutrition a great deal in the Allergies forum lately and muscle cramps have come up as a fairly common symptom of magnesium deficiency. RRL is a pretty good source of magnesium, as well as calcium and potassium but the best food sources appear to be swiss chard or spinach.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#4 of 4 Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 PM

I've woken up 3 times in the past two weeks with leg cramps from hell.

I drink RRL tea, eat bananas, cheese, and spinach. I wonder if I am getting too much calcium because I read it could be from too much or too little calcium.

Quinine is supposed to help too.

One thing I read and have been doing is have my partner rub my calves before bed and do leg stretches where you point your toes up to your knees. If you feel a cramp coming up, try to get up and walk or stretch your toes to your knees. If you stretch your toes the other way, it can make it worse.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page