Crappy Crappy day in L&D - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay...maybe only one crappy was necessary.

Basically...I went in for my routine, 39 wk check up and the MW told me I had a lot of protein in my urine. AGAIN. I didn't feel like I got a really clear explanation, but basically there was something about kidney function and pre-eclampsia (jeez)...They sent me over to the lab for bloodwork and then said that I needed to go to labor and delivery so they could get a "clean catch" of urine, via catheter.

Oh. And while we're talking about things they don't tell you about pregnancy - catheters hurt. Like...I would skip the epidural JUST to avoid getting catheterized. *That* is one hole that things were NEVER meant to go into.

So anyway...did the bloodwork, no biggee. Went to L&D, stripped down, put on the insanely sexy hospital gown (snort. NOT), waited. Waited.

Waited.

Waited.

I finally went out to ask the nurse what was going on (Hello, I'm here so you can stick a tube up my urethra and collect urine. Can we please get on with the show?)...mentioned that, oh yeah, my toddler is waiting in the car w/ her grandmother because this was supposed to just be a routine prenatal check-up. The nurse was very nice and stopped what she was doing to explain everything. At least they have that going for them. She said I'd "probably be there awhile." Har.

2 hours awhile.

Long & short, they hooked me up to all those monitors to do an NST, checking my blood pressure every 15 minutes, blah blah. I waited at least an hour for the catheter. Which, did I mention, hurt? The nurse who did it was REALLY REALLY sweet...even as she performed an excruciating procedure. She called me "my baby." Cute, right? She's been an L&D nurse at that hospital for 38 years!!

After that, the MW came in, did an AFI to measure my fluids, which were, of course, fine, and then they finally said...well, the results won't be in for awhile, you can go and we'll call you.

Oh, and by the way, we'd managed to get this far in pregnancy without any ultrasounds, which was sort of important to us....

Anyway...I just got off the phone w/ L&D and...shocker...my urine came back with ZERO protein. I kept trying to tell them (them! all of them! anyone who would listen!) it's just discharge, leftover semen, mucus, I'm fine!!!! But...nooo....we had to go through all of that.

I get that they want to err on the side of caution...but I'm so freaking irritated about the fact that I just spent the entire day in that place, w/ my poor toddler and MIL sitting in the car waiting for me...all to be told what I tried to tell them in the first place: hi. I'm fine.

And DH is worried about the ultrasound and all the monitoring and I've informed him (I'm not usually the wife who "informs" her husband of anything in a commanding kind of way) that next pregnancy, he's not allowed to miss a single prenatal appointment because I totally lose my ability to stick up for myself in those situations.

So yeah...that was my day.

I'm 39weeks 2 days and really, seriously, any day now, Junior. I'm really over prenatal appointments at this point.

So now you know...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 PM

Yuck! I had to spend 4 hours in L&D hooked up to monitors after a car accident at 24ish weeks... and it was terrible. And there were no catheters involved! Sorry you had such a crappy day - especially since the urine came back with no protein! Grr!

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#3 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 PM

Ugh that sounds like torture for all 3 of you.

Catheters make me squeamish too.

I'm glad it worked out that everything is ok with baby, is your toddler traumatized from all that time stuck in the car?
#4 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 PM

Understatement of the century:
No fun.
Sorry you went through that. Hopefully LO comes soon.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 PM

That sounds truly miserable. I hope you have a yummy dessert around to "sweeten" your evening.
I really wish medical people would learn to listen to moms. Hello, we LIVE in this body!
#6 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 10:19 PM

Man I'm so sorry you had a crappy day!! I am glad things were all clear but MAN what a frustration!!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#7 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So sorry mama! What a suckfest!

General PSA re:epidurals and caths - wise women get the epi BEFORE the cath so they don't feel the hideous discomfort. So nobody should panic if they are thinking of an epidural and don't want to ever know the sensation of a tube going up your urethra. I've had two natural births and one unrelated procedure that involved getting cathed, and getting cathed is IMO a worse pain because it is so, so unnatural to have your urethra expanded in any way!
#8 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 PM

Well, you've definitely confirmed why I will make sure they give me my spinal BEFORE putting in the catheter. One hospital we toured said they give the catheter first and just have you cough while they put it in, so you don't feel it. I told the nurse, "yeah, right", I wasn't born yesterday lady.

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#9 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 PM

I was cathed for a D and C and it was the WORST experience of my life!!! The only thing I told my surgeon was to wait till I was totally out before he took the stupid thing out. I think I would do just about anything to avoid having that done again!

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#10 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 PM

Can't believe they cathed you for a d&c. I wonder if they cathed me when they did my 2? 1 abdominal surgery, 2 d&c, 2 lap/hyst, 1 egg retrieval and I've NEVER been awake for a catheter and I'm not about to feel one now. I've felt enough instruments in my vagina, I'll pass on adding one more

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#11 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 03:54 AM

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that! Hospitals suck! Sorry- I'm sure your birth will be a better experience and you will have you DH there to help protect you from unneccesary junk! Prayers fo you and babe!
#12 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm sorry you had such a bad day.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page