How dilated/effaced are you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im "38w1d" and Im 1cm dilated and 50% effaced.

How about you?
#2 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 05:22 PM

I have no idea. I will probably find out next week at my appt.

Natural minded Mama to two young amazing babes!
#3 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 05:24 PM

36 wks 1 day last wk on Monday was 1 and soft

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
#4 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 05:24 PM

No clue. I don't think they do checks at my mw practice. I've tried to do a self check, all I know from that is that my cervix feels REALLY soft and squishy and weird. And it's lower than it was before.

I don't really know what that means though!

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#5 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

I just found out today, it's the first time they've checked.

I think I just want to stress about it and that's why I asked
#6 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_p_i View Post
No clue. I don't think they do checks at my mw practice. I've tried to do a self check, all I know from that is that my cervix feels REALLY soft and squishy and weird. And it's lower than it was before.

I don't really know what that means though!
I'm 37 weeks, 2 days and just got checked by the midwife because I asked after all the contractions I had this week. I'm soft, a stretchy fingertip dilated, but not really thinned at all. Baby is at a -2 still. Means nothing of course, lol, but its nice to know something is going on since I was tightly closed 2 weeks ago and not soft at all.

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#7 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 05:34 PM

I think I'm about the same as you Auraji. My m/w doesn't do internals (unless I really wanted her to) but its lower and not "open" per se, but the two sides are about the width of my finger apart and its super soft and shorter (by about half) than it is usually, so I think that means 50% effaced.

I keep checking, hoping for some changes, but not much yet.

Sadie
#8 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Lake View Post
I think I'm about the same as you Auraji. My m/w doesn't do internals (unless I really wanted her to) but its lower and not "open" per se, but the two sides are about the width of my finger apart and its super soft and shorter (by about half) than it is usually, so I think that means 50% effaced.

I keep checking, hoping for some changes, but not much yet.

Sadie
Im happy they checked because I would feel very clueless checking for myself

I had some contractions over the weekend, so I was glad to see they did a little something, specially since it was the first time I actually thought I was having them and they werent bad at all.

Im just getting desperate, I dont mind being pregnant. I've been feeling great, but I want her noooooooow!!!
#9 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 05:46 PM

My MW asked if I wanted to be checked on Monday, and since she was in there already for my STD swab [didn't get done in the first trimester, and is apparently MD law ], I told her sure.

I was 1cm, but high and hard. I swear she said something about effacement, but I can't remember exactly what. I almost want to say 100%, but THAT doesn't make sense, does it? So who knows. I'll ask this Monday for them to look back and tell me what she said. I don't plan to have her check again. I'd just as soon not worry about it, yk? Esp. with the pressure I'm getting to get "on the schedule" [for a RCS] just in case I go too far past my due date.
#10 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Is there a trick to self-checking? Just use clean hands?

Sewin earthlovin : Mama to my 8 yr old, 6 yr old and lil' baby : born 6/11/09.
:
#11 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 PM

At 36w6d, I was 1 cm dilated, 30% effaced, and -1 station ("that's low for a posterior baby!")

Probably the only internal I'll get until labor-- my midwife was doing the GBS swab, and I was just curious -- not much serious cramping, but I'm carrying SO much lower than last time, and it feels like my pelvis is configured differently each morning when I wake up.

She also warned me that if any of the positioning/"spinning babies" stuff I'm supposedly trying to convince the baby to turn works, that she'll move down more and I'll be even less comfortable... aaiiiieee. (But DD1 was posterior until just before I pushed, and that was no fun at all...)

Academic mama to Miss T. (09/05) and Miss V. (05/09).
Oh, and (hence )
#12 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 05:55 PM

No idea. Cervical checks aren't offered until labour.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#13 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 06:04 PM

At my 36 w appt (a week and a half ago) I was almost 2cm and starting to thin. Baby was at -3 station. At that point cervix was quite high and I could just barely reach it myself. Today when I checked I was able to reach it and feel that I was dilated. I think I'm still around a 2 not sure about effacement though.

I was glad there was progress though.
#14 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 PM

Last week (39 wks), I asked her to check me, and regretted it immediately. I was 2 cm, but only 25% effaced and -2 station.

This week (40 wks), she checked again at my request (I swore I wouldn't get obsessive about my cervix this pregnancy, but here I go again). Today I was 50% effaced, 2.5-3 cm, and "lower station than last wk". So today I was actually glad I asked her to check, since it reassured me that the contractions I've been having are doing something, even if I feel like I'm going to be pg forever.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#15 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 06:39 PM

My MW's don't check. I'm 39w5days and very curious. But I can't for my life figure out how ya'll are doing self-checks! What's the trick? I can't reach that far!! And do you use gloves?

#16 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 06:48 PM

I won't find out about dilation/effacement until next week (whereas they'll do a membrane sweep if I"m dilated at all (I'll be 39wks 1day). But she DID say that the baby had "dropped". So yay?

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#17 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 PM

I just tried to check. I don't believe I even have a cervix. ;-)
(seriously, I've felt it before, when I wasn't pregnant...I think it's disappeared WAY up inside there somewhere)
Squatting, sitting on the toilet w/ one leg up, I simply cannot reach it. So...I guess that means maybe labor isn't that close after all...

#18 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 PM

30% effaced, 1.5 cm dilated, cervix very ripe and soft, I'm 38 weeks, measuring 39 weeks. I'll be 39 weeks on sunday.
I have asked for internals the last two checks with my MW. This past week I asked for her to be a bit more rough to see if we could get things going. I had a bit of cramping and some mucus dislodge but that's it.
Bring on the labor!

~Melissa~ Policewife, Mom to 4 great kids. Organ donation has touched our lives.
#19 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 08:15 PM

I posted in the I'm Preggo forum about how to check yourself and putting EPO in so I am hoping to get some answers. I tried checking now w/a glove on and it felt so weird probably bc I checked while temping before preggo (felt it like twice right before I got preggo with just clean hands and short nails) so it was a bit harder to feel around this time.

I cannot imagine my OB has longer fingers than I do since I am so much bigger than he is (he is at least a good 6" shorter than I am if not more since I am 6').

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
#20 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 PM

I won't get checked until probably well in to labor. I find it really useless. You can walk around 3 cm dialated for weeks and you can go from 0 to 10 in 8 hours like I did with my first labor. It really doesn't provide any useful information at this point.
#21 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 10:44 PM

I have been checking myself everyday just out of curiousity. After showering or on the toilet. I am 1-2 cm and about 50% effaced but babies station keeps changing one day its -3 the next its -2 but I can tell the baby is still switching sides, loa to roa lots too so that doesnt concern me. But like Shonahsmom said it seriously means nothing. I walked into the hospital 1-2 cm and had my baby 5 hours later.

afro.jpg Mom, Wife, Student Midwife and Doula. DD1hearts.gif - 5yrs (Aug 06), DD2 pinktongue.gif - 2yrs (May 09). BFP 3/4/12 - angel1.gif 3/17/12 

#22 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

I know it really doesnt mean anything, it's just another thing to obsess about unnecessarily

I got some contractions this afternoon, I figure because of the cervix check. Awhile ago DP and I were listening to music and I was sitting on his lap (poor thing, we're both VERY skinny, but now I got like 15-20 over him haha) and he was freaking out because he could feel the baby's heartbeat on his leg. After awhile he put his hand under my dress, because he had never felt something like that before and I couldnt feel it and my underwear was slightly wet and his hand got a very distinct smell. I dont know how to describe it, he asked me to go check myself and my underwear had this pink tint, but I figure it was from spotting due to having my cervix check, but what about the smell? I dont know what that was about. What do you girls think it could be?
#23 of 54 Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 PM

My dr said some pink/spotting is normal after a cervix check, but not sure about the fluid.
#24 of 54 Old 05-01-2009, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post
My dr said some pink/spotting is normal after a cervix check, but not sure about the fluid.
I found that normal, what I found weird was the smell. It was very peculiar.
#25 of 54 Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 AM

I'll be requesting a check monday. It doesn't really give useful info, but i cant help being curious if the contractions are helping ever I do self check but my belly is so huge and cervix is still high(my babies never drop till they are coming out) its hard to check. things feel softer and thinner than last time and i THINK more open. i was 3cm and 30% maybe? i cant remember. Like i said.. means nothing really. 2 pregnancies ago I went from -2 station, 4cm and some low%(uner 50% i think) efacement to baby out in under 5 minutes. I've also walked around for weeks at 4-5cm and high effacement %

I'm usually looking more for "stirring things up" side of exams when at the Dr.. and to see how my checks line up with dr's opinion
#26 of 54 Old 05-01-2009, 12:27 AM

I've got no idea. My MW and OB haven't offered to check yet - I don't think it's something that they do routinely until labour begins. Baby's head is at station 2/5 though. Last week it was 4/5, so there's some downwards movement there, which was encouraging. I'm 39w2d today.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#27 of 54 Old 05-01-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraji View Post
I found that normal, what I found weird was the smell. It was very peculiar.
I've heard that amniotic fluid can smell like semen... ever smelled semen? I can't say that I "know" what it smells like. But, maybe I'd remember if I smelled amniotic fluid and if it smelled similar if my water was leaking, kwim?

Sadie
#28 of 54 Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 AM

I normally have started dialating around 30 weeks with every pregnancy and by the time I reached term have been 4-5 cm dialated before labor begins. I have learned to self check and could easily reach my cervix in my last two pregnancies by this point. I'll be 38 weeks tomorrow. But, this time I can just barely reach it at all. Not enough to tell how dialated it is, but enough to know it is soft and stretchy.
#29 of 54 Old 05-01-2009, 04:14 AM

My MWs don't check until I'm in labour, which I'm more than happy with. If I knew what I was/wasn't before then, I'd go crazy wondering what that means!

Plus, I'd rather keep other people away from that region until absolutely necessary

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
#30 of 54 Old 05-01-2009, 09:25 AM

I've had some hard contractions and bloody show this past week so they did a check yesterday. 1cm and 70% effaced. 39 weeks today! It's just nice to know that all the work my body has been doing this past week is really warming me up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page