Chat Thread May 4-May11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, last week I wrote I hope I don't see you here on May 4th. Well, here I am. Still no baby. Still no ctx. Still no NOTHING...did I just write a double negative!?! I've given up my place an grammar extraordinaire for the day....or at least until this baby decides to come.

Anyway, : come and get it. Let's start this week off with some love and some vibes

: :: : : : : : :
#2 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 10:34 AM

I'm going to jump in for this week. With my last baby I had no signs of labor until I just woke up one night and was contracting very regularly. Well I *thought* that was what was happening last night but apparently this little guy is going to have a different pattern than his brother. He kept me up with strong contractions for 2 hours and then it fizzled out and I'm just tired and achy today, sigh. If they aren't going to be the real deal I wish they would come during the day at least, sigh.
Happy Labor vibes to all!

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#3 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 AM

I've missed the last few "chats", so I'm glad I caught this one early enough to participate!

My due date is one week from today. I sorta have the feeling baby is going to arrive ON his due date--it's the 11th, and I've been seeing the #11 a lot in the last year almost like it's trying to tell me something--but that doens't make me any less anxious to get things rolling!

Today I have another BPP, and meet with a MW; she's my favorite so far. But then I have to meet with one of the OBs because I am apparently going against office policy by refusing to schedule a "just in case" RCS before 42 weeks; they think I should be on the schedule by 41-41.5 weeks, and I just won't do it. My doula, husband, and I have agreed they can put me on the schedule for 42 weeks, but not a day before, and there's no reason to make a big deal about it. I really don't want to schedule at all, but if it will get them off my back.... doesn't mean I have to show up, right?! [and honestly, I do not foresee going late; see above]

In the meantime, I'm doing what I can to encourage things without interfering too much: squats, walks, EPO, orgasms/sex, nipple stim when I can find the time [so probably not actually doing much!], pineapple, etc.
#4 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 11:28 AM

Today I'm finally 37 weeks, which makes me very happy because I'm now within my midwife's "delivery range" for a homebirth. : I've been absolutely exhausted since yesterday, and it looks like today won't be any different. I think it's probably my body trying to store up some energy for what's still to come, but it's still somewhat irritating when you'd rather be finishing up those final few details! Still, it's more important to have the energy to handle labor when it does come, so I'm trying to be careful and to get enough rest. Of course, getting enough rest is becoming harder and harder. I can't remember the last time I was able to sleep through the night without waking up several times, either to go to the bathroom or to turn over (with no little effort, I might add). Still, I know it's all worth it, and it's almost over... :

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#5 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Subbing. Don't want to miss the party.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#6 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 11:57 AM

My hands feel like they're going to break in pieces. My joints are so stiff.

Sweetie cleaned the kitchen, so I don't have to do it. I'm being lazy today.

We saw Wolverine last night. It wasn't bad.
#7 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 PM

Well I haven't posted anything in ages but wanted to jump back in!

I'm due on Friday! My midwife's practice won't let me go past 41 weeks so I have been hoping like mad that this baby will come *on its own* before the 15th (41 weeks)... I was induced with DS and hated it, and I really want this labor/delivery to be different. I was contracting all weekend, but nothing regular and it's now fizzled out to nothing. I'm still not sure what early labor contractions will feel like (since I was induced the first time), so I have no idea how I will know when it is really early labor and when it's just more of the same old practice stuff... I decided yesterday to let go of my anxiety about being induced and trust my baby and my body. If I do have to be induced, I at least know I can do it, since I've done it before. I'm feeling more peaceful this morning than I have in a few weeks.

And I have officially told the baby it is welcome anytime now! Yesterday my sister came over and we spent the entire day cooking things to stock the freezer. I finally feel like everything important on my to-do list is done! We made yummy chunky vegetable-tomato soup, goulash, and about 2 dozen make-ahead burritos. I also cooked up 4 pounds of ground turkey, a ton of mashed potatoes, and 10 baked potatoes (I've read that all these things freeze well, and hopefully having things precooked will make things a lot easier after the baby comes). I diced up some onions to freeze, and my sister brought us some frozen quiches as well. We also did chicken-noodle soup and black bean soup and a frittata. My freezer looks great, so full of food!

I'm exhausted today but the house is clean, diapers are in the laundry, and I've plopped my toddler in front of a show so I can rest a little.

. catherine . yourfireyoursoul.blogspot.com .
mommy to one hilarious little boy [09.2006] and one cuddly baby girl [05.2009]

#8 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 12:25 PM

I went for a "labor prep" acupuncture appt yesterday and it was AMAZING! If you have good insurance, I highly recommend it! I had gone for a massage on Thursday and that did me some good, but the acupuncture relieved this terrible ache/pain I've been having for the last month and a half in my left side of my sacrum.

I'm going to try to get my butt in gear this morning and get out on a walk and enjoy some fresh air and exercise. I actually have been feeling pretty good the last few days, so I want to try to get the most out of it!

Someone mentioned in the "does labor start spontaneously" thread that their bh seem to let up a week or so before baby is born. I noticed that mine certainly have (but I'm still having them at night which makes me have to pee). I hope its a good sign.

But, I've had my eye mysteriously on the 9th of May this whole pregnancy, so I can definitely hold out until then. Its also the full moon (which we've all chatted about before) I'll only be 39 weeks though. If I don't have this baby next weekend, I'll probably start going crazy!

Sadie
#9 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

I am right there with you Sadie. Trying to motivate myself to go out for a good solid walk every day. Or how about one day?! Unfortunately it is supposed to rain basically every day for the rest of the week so that doesn't really motivate me to do anything besides lounge in bed after work until I am too hungry to sit there anymore.

DH and I were discussing natural induction last night and he started talking about castor oil (he reads a couple articles online and is suddenly an expert). I will be 37 weeks Friday and he thinks I should definitely try castor oil. I tried to explain to him that while it can induce labor (if you body is ready) it can also make you puke/poop yourself miserably for 2 straight days. According to him this is totally ok if it means DD will be here a bit early Always easier when you aren't the one puking/crapping yourself constantly I guess...

Has anyone here experimented with castor oil to induce labor. I am thinking the oil way I would even consider trying it is if I was going toward 42 weeks (42 wks is standard induction for my MW's practice).
#10 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 12:40 PM

I'm going to TRY to keep up with the chat thread this week. I always get lost in it. I'll be 38 weeks tomorrow. Not feeling much at all over here besides random light cramping sometimes. The baby is still super active and all over the place. I don't foresee going into labor anytime super soon. Though I did get random inspiration to clean out my freezer today which seemed pretty nesty.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#11 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 01:17 PM

Anti-labor vibes are requested again today. It's my twin brothers' birthday.
Once we get past today, though, the baby's welcome anytime.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#12 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 01:44 PM

These things always get away from me so fast!

LDavis: I haven't tried castor oil personally, but virtually everyone I've ever heard of trying it says "DON'T DO IT!!!" None of those "natural" induction methods work unless your baby is ready to come anyway (which you know), and it's not worth the misery.

I'm 40 weeks, 1 day today. Bleh. I can see I'm not the only one though, that's comforting.
We got our first diaper delivery this morning (CD diaper service)...no baby though. No ctx, cramps or mucus plug either. It's a bit fun, seeing what my body wants to do on it's own this time, since I was induced w/ DD at 38w for pre-e, but seriously...I can tell this babe is running out of room and I'm tired!!!

Anyone else having trouble sleeping at this point? Any tips for making it better? I'm getting like 1-1.5 hrs at a time at night, and it's really restless sleep. Feel like I need to get a good chunk of rest in before being ready for labor.

All in all...like most of you have said, exhausted, lazy, glad most of the things on my to-do list are checked off (still need to mop that kitchen floor), ready to have a baby. DH is pulling for this Friday. He thinks the full moon will do it...here's hoping.

#13 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post
LDavis: I haven't tried castor oil personally, but virtually everyone I've ever heard of trying it says "DON'T DO IT!!!" None of those "natural" induction methods work unless your baby is ready to come anyway (which you know), and it's not worth the misery.
<snip>
Anyone else having trouble sleeping at this point? Any tips for making it better? I'm getting like 1-1.5 hrs at a time at night, and it's really restless sleep. Feel like I need to get a good chunk of rest in before being ready for labor.

All in all...like most of you have said, exhausted, lazy, glad most of the things on my to-do list are checked off (still need to mop that kitchen floor), ready to have a baby. DH is pulling for this Friday. He thinks the full moon will do it...here's hoping.
Agreed about the castor oil.
I've been blaming the lack of sleep on other factors- like one DS being sick and the other refusing to sleep without a boob in his mouth (which is uncomfortable right now and causes minor contractions usually). I totally feel the same way. I don't think I'd have the energy for labor right now.
I got none of my "weekly chores" done this weekend. The weekend's usually my big "push" to make sure everything gets done for the coming week. There are still things on my "to buy" list but nothing absolutely essential.
Where's the positive? Um. I've been spending some time on a game I really enjoy lately. And I've been getting to know the ladies in my DDC finally.

#14 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

lightheartedmom> I am not quite as far along as you but I have noticed sleep is becoming more and more of a challenge just in this past week alone. Thus I ended up not doing a single chore this weekend and basically spent the entire weekend napping in bed or reading a book in bed, or watching a movie in bed etc...

One thing I found that really helped me at least fall asleep initially was IcyHot. I asked my MW if it was ok to use and she it was fine although I might want to avoid my stomach (hadn't planned on using it there anyway).

If your hips are hurting when you are laying down, which is my chief complaint, I would suggest giving it a try. There is also this natural (I like it more but we just ran out and only had IcyHot) white tea oil (not entirely sure of the name) that you can get that has the same effects.

DH rubs a good bit on each side of my hips before I go to sleep and it feels so good. I still wake up later in the night with pain in them but it's usually after the 3rd or 4th bathroom trip, not the first...

I would try to find the oil though, much better than the IcyHot.

Oh duly noted about the castor oil. DH doesn't care I think because DH doesn't have to be the on puking his brains out! Plus the baby is just not ready. Something he is having a very hard time accepting. i don't think he realizes babies go past their EDD all the time. I don't have the heart to tell him, I'm afraid he'll chase me around the house with a bottle of castor oil!
#15 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Anti-labor vibes are requested again today. It's my twin brothers' birthday.
Once we get past today, though, the baby's welcome anytime.
Does that mean its your birthday too?

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#16 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I didn't even pick up on that! Hmmm?

Lotus.Blossom, how is your LO doing? How are you doing?!
#17 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"Has anyone here experimented with castor oil to induce labor."

Uuuuuuugh. I didn't even get the pukes from it, just the runs, but the FEEL of it in my mouth is with me to this day. I mixed it with a shot of vodka and a couple of ounces of orange juice, per some crazy instructions on the internet. Uuuuuuuuugh. Don't do it!

If your sweetie is so eager to "help," send him out for blue cohosh and an enema bag. I don't know if it will work, but IMO it cannot hurt and it creates the illusion of doing something. I gave myself an enema before both my previous births, because really, who needs to poop during the first few days postpartum?
#18 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
No. Second thread I've been asked that in. I guess I really need to start pluralizing birthday when describing it as their birthday... it just doesn't seem right to pluralize a single day though.
Thank you for the thought though. Hope you're having fun with your new bub.

#19 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
I gave myself an enema before both my previous births, because really, who needs to poop during the first few days postpartum?
:
Funny because it's TRUE.

#20 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

You know whats funny Smithie, I told DH about an enema last night. We have an extra one from when DH was very very ill for 4 days and then really really constipated for a week after that. He used the first one and didn't need the second.

I told him I was going to use it when I thought I was in early labor, partly because I psychologically will feel less distracted not wondering if I am going to have to try to poop at some point during labor (if it goes a day or 2 or more) and also to avoid having to poop for a couple of days after labor...Plus if I don't poop while DD is coming out thats cool too, although I doubt I'll care and I told DH to never tell me if it happens...

He's just getting stupidly antsy, attacked my feet and ankles last night trying to work on the pressure points. He isn't even the one carrying this load around!

I haven't researched Blue Cohosh much but I have heard lots of ladies around here talk about it so perhaps I should get on that!

Even the thought of Vodka not mixed with something like castor oil makes me want to vomit in my mouth. Yikes, I'm impressed you were able to get that down!
#21 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 03:04 PM

Aha, twin brothers but not YOUR twin! I get it!! Happy birthday to them!

I'm doing pretty good today. 1 week out and I'm pretty mobile now. Spent the morning outside with the baby in the sling just sitting enjoying the sunshine. He has the mildest case of jaundice so a little sunlight is good for him. He is a DREAM child. Super mellow, sleeps all night with just 1-2 feedings. Looks around and chills when he is awake. I am loving this!! :

Thinking about every one of you and sending : for the next few births!! I hope theres some soon!! I need post partum company!!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#22 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Aha, twin brothers but not YOUR twin! I get it!! Happy birthday to them!

I'm doing pretty good today. 1 week out and I'm pretty mobile now. Spent the morning outside with the baby in the sling just sitting enjoying the sunshine. He has the mildest case of jaundice so a little sunlight is good for him. He is a DREAM child. Super mellow, sleeps all night with just 1-2 feedings. Looks around and chills when he is awake. I am loving this!! :

Thinking about every one of you and sending : for the next few births!! I hope theres some soon!! I need post partum company!!

makes me happy to hear it!
glad you are able to take advantage of the sun, my Mom is in Maine and she said she finally just raked the last of the snow out of the shady spots in the yard!
#23 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 03:23 PM

I didn't have any signs or anything before my past two labours. I just woke up with contractions each time.

I have symphysis pubic disorder.

I thought at first I pulled my thigh muscle Saturday night, but then it was both sides. I couldn't get in or out of bed, climb stairs, put on my pants,e tc. My chiro helped. Hopefully, it will be all gone before the baby is born because I can't imagine giving birth like this.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#24 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=Smithie;13705606] I mixed it with a shot of vodka and a couple of ounces of orange juice, per some crazy instructions on the internet. Uuuuuuuuugh. Don't do it!

QUOTE]

Ewwww, so basically a castor oil Screwdriver?

After having to carry my grandma who couldn't walk to the bathroom and clean up the resulting mess after she got into the castor oil (My aunt would sneak it to her, I wouldn't give it to her.) I think I'll pass on it..lol
#25 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=JD5351;13705852]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
I mixed it with a shot of vodka and a couple of ounces of orange juice, per some crazy instructions on the internet. Uuuuuuuuugh. Don't do it!

QUOTE]

Ewwww, so basically a castor oil Screwdriver?

After having to carry my grandma who couldn't walk to the bathroom and clean up the resulting mess after she got into the castor oil (My aunt would sneak it to her, I wouldn't give it to her.) I think I'll pass on it..lol
yikes. at first i was thinking, why would anyone want to "get into the castor oil" then I read about your Aunt. I'd be calling Auntie dearest and tell her she has quite a mess to clean up...

I knew it could be bad but I didn't know it was quite so effective at what it does...
Definitely always sounded like and old timey remedy to me. I will tell DH I will try castor oil if he will...We only have one bathroom though so that could get ugly fast!
#26 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 03:33 PM

It gets VERY ugly. And painful from what I could tell.

Grandma wanted it because she wasn't having a BM every day....But she wasn't taking into consideration you can't make a poop if you don't EAT enough to make one..lol She'd eat some peanut butter crackers, and some broth on a good day. She was my favorite person in the whole world, but trying to reason with her was like trying to reason with a brick wall.
#27 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post

Grandma wanted it because she wasn't having a BM every day....But she wasn't taking into consideration you can't make a poop if you don't EAT enough to make one..lol She'd eat some peanut butter crackers, and some broth on a good day. She was my favorite person in the whole world, but trying to reason with her was like trying to reason with a brick wall.
Haha, I find that trying to reason with the umm, chronologically advanced can be pointless. My greatgrandmother who lived to 103 (by herself no less) had the entire family going crazy because they were trying to get her to stop eating candy...
She had it stashed all over the entire house, in books, vases, drawers etc...She ate candy until the day she died no matter what anyone did...

I don't have daily BMs and I eat plenty, this is pre pregnancy some people just don't go every day...Then again some people gotta go and go and go again, I don't envy them.
#28 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I didn't have any signs or anything before my past two labours. I just woke up with contractions each time.

I have symphysis pubic disorder.

I thought at first I pulled my thigh muscle Saturday night, but then it was both sides. I couldn't get in or out of bed, climb stairs, put on my pants,e tc. My chiro helped. Hopefully, it will be all gone before the baby is born because I can't imagine giving birth like this.
I'm there with you on the SPD...but I've been feeling it for at least 5 months. It is so excruciating! Some days are worse than others, but every night is miserable for me. It's been getting worse, too, as each day passes! : I've been meaning to go to a chiro for ages, but by now it's too late--I can't get an appointment before I give birth. Oh well. I'm glad to hear it's helped you some.

. catherine . yourfireyoursoul.blogspot.com .
mommy to one hilarious little boy [09.2006] and one cuddly baby girl [05.2009]

#29 of 261 Old 05-04-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post

older people are totally obsessed with pooping everyday, rain or shine.
#30 of 261 Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 AM

I am joining in for a whine. I am officially MISERABLE. I do not remember this hitting me with my last, even at 42 weeks. I've been in tears the last two nights from the pain and pressure. I walk around at the store now and people look at me with this look of pity. Yes, I'm huge, yes, I'm miserable, thanks for confirming that I look as bad as I feel!

With that said, I still will not be doing anything to get things going or agreeing to an induction unless medically neccesary, but I am wondering what my blood labs are going to show. Not much longer now, either way! (And can I say that I love the look on peoples faces when they find out how much time I have left? Everyone comments that I do not look that far along at all so when they hear a week and a half, their mouths drop open! )

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page