Braxton Hicks Every 7 Minutes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2009, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it normal for braxton hicks to occur every 7 minutes? They've been getting closer and closer together. There's no pain with the braxton hicks (just the tightening). Do you think I'm getting pretty close? What happens if Braxton Hicks end up getting 3 minutes apart, but they are not painful? I'm afraid I won't know when it's time. My mom felt nothing when she had us until her water broke and she had us an hour later.

Carolyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 02:01 AM

I know, sometimes it's hard to know exactly when "this is it". From what I've heard, most people err on the side of thinking they are in labor when they're doing pre-labor work. I'm jealous that your mom had such easy labors!

So yes, you can have regular Braxton-Hicks and have it be a normal pre-labor activity. (I refuse to use the term false labor - there's nothing false about it!) A mother's intuition can be really powerful, though. Listen to yourself. You can call your childbirth provider, and they can talk you through a couple and have a guess on where you are. They are used to this

Last time with DS I had BH every 6 minutes apart, lasting from 4-8 hours. This lasted for 10 days. It felt like I was crying Wolf every day. "Is this it?!" When I finally went into labor, the contractions changed their character very drastically - they were clearly contractions and I just knew.

Anyways, this time I'm having them again, but this time they are crampy, kind of hurting. They were pretty regular for 13 hours last Monday night. Today I've been having them for the last 7 hours. I finally hopped on ContractionMaster.com, and they are 3.5 to 5.5 minutes apart. Hmmm... Should I cry Wolf again? The hospital is 40 minutes away and it will take MIL 2 hours to get here to watch DS. I just don't have a sense of urgency to call MIL, or the doula, or the midwife. I just want DS to go to bed so I can at least pack then get some sleep.

Good luck! Remember - a common bit of advise that I hear experienced moms tell first-timers is to make sure you sleep. If your contractions are mild enough to allow you to sleep through them, SLEEP!

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses25 View Post
Is it normal for braxton hicks to occur every 7 minutes? They've been getting closer and closer together. There's no pain with the braxton hicks (just the tightening). Do you think I'm getting pretty close? What happens if Braxton Hicks end up getting 3 minutes apart, but they are not painful? I'm afraid I won't know when it's time. My mom felt nothing when she had us until her water broke and she had us an hour later.

Carolyn
Not from personal experience, but if you're having regular contractions, even if they aren't painful, it IS very possible that you're in labor, although of course not certain.

I'd try to see if you can make them go away by changing positions, taking a walk, taking a warm bath.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 05-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Yes, it's possible. My mws say that if I'm having more than 5-6 ctxs in an hour, even if it's braxon hicks, that I should call. Maybe give your mw/provider a call and let them know?

Good luck!

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 PM

If they are regular like that, I would call your MW or HCP for sure (assuming you're not UC).
My SIL's family is notorious for thinking they "just ate something that didn't agree with them" and then having a baby 20 minutes later.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
My SIL's family is notorious for thinking they "just ate something that didn't agree with them" and then having a baby 20 minutes later.
*tries to swallow extreme jealousy*

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post
*tries to swallow extreme jealousy*

I know, right?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010

User Tag List