cervical pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forgive me if I sound completely ignorant, but I've been having some very sharp pains that I'm wondering if anyone else has had, or if it's part of the "about to go into labor" process...

Bub seems to REALLY push down on my cervix, once or twice at a go, and it's only happened about three times in the last fortnight. It feels like he's trying to claw his way out my cervix!

After the first time it happened, I went from measuring not engaged, to 2/5 engaged, so I'm wondering if it's him moving down into position?

I just had four of these in a row - the first three as painful as previously, then the fourth made me want to scream and brought tears to my eyes.

Does anyone have any insight? Is this something I can expect to experience as he gets deeper into my pelvis, or is it a sign that labour's not too far away?

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
#2 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 10:05 AM

Sounds like it could be getting closer! :
#3 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Yep, I started getting these several days ago too. They come and go, I'm not sure what it depends on, but to me it felt like the baby was pressing down on my cervix and that's what was causing the pain. It felt like maybe my cervix was beginning to dilate a bit?? I'm not entirely sure, I'm still pregnant

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#4 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 10:15 AM

I've been having that for months, so I wouldn't count on it meaning labour is close! BUt it's definitely normal, I've heard alot about it. I think the theory is that fibrinogen fibres in your cervix are being broken down, preparing it to soften.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#5 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 11:59 AM

Oh yes I am having those too!! Everytime it happens I think WTH is THAT!? Yesterday it happened and they were the worst so far. But after she felt lower though, and the only thing I could think of was its her moving down and/or putting pressure on my cervix? The fibers thing makes sense though.
#6 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 12:17 PM

I started getting those cervix twinges the week before I went into labor. They are startling. But if you think they are painful, wait till it really gets going!!! Try to breathe and prepare!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#7 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had that with dd#1. The fact that it felt like she was trying to claw herself out was unsettling, but my mw said it was totally normal. It's amzaing how much discomfort counts as "normal" in these last days of pregnancy
#8 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 12:39 PM

I've been having these too. They often take my breath away, but I've noticed that they don't really coincide with my uterus contracting, so I'm not getting hopeful about it.

My mw says its normal.

Sadie
#9 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I started getting those cervix twinges the week before I went into labor. They are startling. But if you think they are painful, wait till it really gets going!!! Try to breathe and prepare!
I've been having them for about a week.... hmmm!

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#10 of 10 Old 05-09-2009, 02:34 PM

Yesterday I had cervical twinges so strong I couldn't walk very well; I had to lie down on the couch and that helped them subside, but I'd say it certainly seems to be part of the normal progression of things. I find pain is different in pregnancy somehow; maybe it's because I can at least pass it off as having an ulterior motive, but I seem more tolerant of it now than I was before... we'll see what happens when I hit labor.

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page