Bed Rest at 37 weeks for High Blood Pressure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-11-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone! At my 37 week appointment last week, I was put on bedrest for high blood pressure. My pregnancy had been going fine, a little more weight gain than I’d like (heh) but things were good. I lost my mucous plug and the next day I started to feel really weird. I couldn’t catch my breath; I couldn’t sleep, and just felt ‘ugh’. When I went to my midwife appointment, they took my blood pressure then didn’t say anything about the numbers (which was odd). The CNM comes in and says she is worried because my blood pressure was very high and I had a 6 pound weight gain in a week (O_O) which she says is water weight. She looked at my feet and found them super swollen, then checked my hands and face which were fine. She said there was no protein in my urine but the blood pressure was worrisome. She asked if I was resting…which I had to admit no…I’d been baking the whole week before! The nurse came back to check my blood pressure again and said it was still very high (The bottom number was almost 90) and then the CNM said I need to go on bedrest!
3 days later I had to go back to check my blood pressure again with a different CNM, and it was within normal range but on the high side (The bottom number was in the high 70’s…I can never remember the top number!) I told the midwife that when I check at home the bottom number is usually in the high 70’s to high 80’s, and she told me to stay on bedrest but only partial bedrest and watch the swelling.
So, I’m worried. I did the big no-no and searched high blood pressure in pregnancy and started to freak out a bit. Has anyone else gone through this? I am very nervous and trying to stay in bed and get some of the water weight out (they said to drink lemon juice) and rest!
#2 of 5 Old 05-11-2009, 06:26 PM

I haven't gone through this personally, but just wanted to offer some !

Try to stay relaxed, and make sure you are hydrated. Take it easy mama.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#3 of 5 Old 05-11-2009, 08:36 PM

I"ve had pre-e before, which is what they are concerned about but not stating you have, which is good! It isn't fun for sure but try to not freak about it either casue then your BP will probably get worse.

mine got bad enough i gained 11lb in a week, maybe 5 days(12yrs ago so details are a lil vague) also i was only measuring 28cm which added concern so i was induced at 38w2d. He is a happy healthy nearly 12 yr old, top of his class, brood built kid ...so, take care of yourself, relax, tell yourself its just time for last minute rest, relaxation and get some pampering in that will help the BP some as well.
#4 of 5 Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 PM

I had pre-e this pregnancy that is why I had Liam at 34 weeks. You will probably be fine but be aware of the serious warning signs because you don't want to have to have labour with them. My headache started which made the idea of labour really hard. I was happy labour was short otherwise it would have been horrible. Pre-e can become very serious even though you feel fine. So if you feel weird trust your mothers instinct and get help right away. Sorry about the rant PM me if you want more info I have done my fair share of research now that I had it.

Take care of your self and enjoy the break baby might be here sooner than you think!
#5 of 5 Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 PM

Start packin' in the protein!!! The more protein you ingest right now the better! It remenddously helps with high bloff pressure in pregnancy. Shakes, nuts, meat, cheese- get as much as you can! 100+ grams a day- you should see a difference. Hope all goes well!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page