Baby movement before labour - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-23-2009, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is something I've been wondering for the past couple of weeks.

Do babies generally move less or more before going into labour? It would make sense for them to conserve some energy if they knew something was about to happen.

I know in the last few weeks they appear to move less because they run out of room. At least that's a good theory. My little nugget has been having one long party this week, and I think he's invited all his friends too!

PP mamas - did you notice the baby's movement change before going into labour?

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-23-2009, 08:47 AM

I'm glad you asked this. I was coming to ask the same thing. I've been having some bursts of movement, but generally my LO is moving less than before. She still sounds great on the doppler and moves enough that I haven't been really concerned, just curious. I do think I've heard that babies move less before labor.

I've also noticed some changes in the way my belly looks, it's almost smaller? Anyone else notice something like this? I've thought maybe the baby has really dropped into position, and that could be why...

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#3 of 12 Old 05-23-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

My belly's not so much smaller as more pointed at front. Maybe a position change?

#4 of 12 Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 AM

DDC crashing from June...

I was just going to post the same question over on the June board. This baby has always been very active and the movements have slowed down a bit since the space has become limited but as I have been having more and more signs that my body is getting ready to labor...the baby seems to have increased his or her activity a bunch in the last 24 hours. So I was asking myself the same question - does the baby's movement indicate anything?

I'm not due until June 9th so I am trying not to read into too many signs...just go with the flow...
#5 of 12 Old 05-23-2009, 11:11 AM

Mine has decided that my ribs make a good leg press. lol

He is definately squished in there....And my belly looks more narrow sometimes.
#6 of 12 Old 05-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
G was not any less active at all leading up to or even DURING labor. He was so incredibly active, we actually sat watching my belly move under the monitors b/c he was just flip flopping around even up until the very end. He was very active leading up to my water breaking, too (and I think that's actually how my water broke before it was ready).

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#7 of 12 Old 05-23-2009, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
He was very active leading up to my water breaking, too (and I think that's actually how my water broke before it was ready).
I often wonder if my little one will accidently break the bag too early by being so active!

#8 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustGirl View Post
My belly's not so much smaller as more pointed at front. Maybe a position change?
Well it was a position change. Bub in the middle instead of to the right this time.

Up until two days ago, bub has been SUPER active, which was making me wonder if I'd ever go into labour with him bouncing all over the place. Yesterday was full of small movements though, and today it seems like he's been asleep all day. Very few movements, but they're there if I poke him to check. Curious now to see if he's in preparation?

#9 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustGirl View Post
Well it was a position change. Bub in the middle instead of to the right this time.
This is what my DS did the day my labor began.

I don't like the sound of sleeping all day, though. Does the baby respond if you poke at him/her? That's how I reassured myself on the sleepy days.
#10 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 05:57 PM

I didn't really notice a change with my newborn. I do know that he maybe broke his own bag cause he made a huge startled movement in the middle of the night which made a pop and then I started into active labor (I was contracting earlier that whole evening tho). Maybe a little bit more active if anything a couple days leading up to delivery??

Jill - 2.5 year old b/g twins and our new son (May 2009)
#11 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayarn View Post
This is what my DS did the day my labor began.

I don't like the sound of sleeping all day, though. Does the baby respond if you poke at him/her? That's how I reassured myself on the sleepy days.
Yeah he responds, so I'm feeling okay about it. The movements are there, just much much smaller than they usually are. His heartbeat checks out okay, so I'm not worried about him, just hoping that's a sign that he's leading up to labour.

#12 of 12 Old 06-06-2009, 03:10 PM

My munchkin was very active at the end, not just before labor started, but during it too. I don't think she stopped moving a bunch until she was crowning, and even at that point she'd stretch now and then.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page