Mothering Forum banner

PP Chat Thread - May 25-31

11K views 122 replies 31 participants last post by  ~Katie~ 
#1 ·
Here's the new thread for the week!

#102 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post

Burm - I'm finding it hard to deal with the tandem nursing as well. DS is pretty good about letting her nurse and not interfering too much but I am needing to establish some boundaries with him. Nursing him has been great for engorgement though since I can only get her to nurse once or twice at night.
Yea, I'm with you on the boundaries. I' *trying* to find positions where I can bear nursing them together, but often find I'm pushing DS away because it's too much. Argh... so hard.

#103 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by burm_keep View Post
Yea, I'm with you on the boundaries. I' *trying* to find positions where I can bear nursing them together, but often find I'm pushing DS away because it's too much. Argh... so hard.
It wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't taken up jumping all over me and yelling when he wants to nurse. He's like a bull in a china shop and tends to squash her. If he's not doing that he's pulling at my bra straps and pinching me. I find myself begging him several times a day to be more cooperative about things.

#104 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
Thanks. I thought a while back it was OJ but I don't really have that now.

I did some more reading and if it's yeast, it seems nystatin makes it worse for some (like ezra) and I'm thinking of running out and getting some OTC anti-fungal to try that for 2 days before he sees the pedi Monday. I don't want it to keep getting worse and it's persisted for almost two weeks now (after going away once, no dietary changes then). I'll think about it and see.

We do need to make air time a priority.
I went out and got Lotrimin last night and there is a significant improvement from yesterday. I tend to think it's not food since food sensitives are pretty rare (at least according to kellymom) and we don't have food intolerances in our families. I'll keep it in mind though and see how it goes.

#105 ·
Quote:

I went out and got Lotrimin last night and there is a significant improvement from yesterday. I tend to think it's not food since food sensitives are pretty rare (at least according to kellymom) and we don't have food intolerances in our families. I'll keep it in mind though and see how it goes.
I tend to think that that is one thing that Kellymom might be wrong about. That's a great website but I know a LOT of babies with food sensitivities that react to what mom eats. My DD reacted to garlic, onions and milk, the things that I have sensitivities to (but eat anyways). I think the fact that I have a sensitivity to it is key, and that you're right, if you don't have any food intolernces in your family so far, then it's pretty unlikely that that is the cause.

p.s. that rash does look a bit like eczema to me, DD had it as a baby but it never got that bad (and it was caused by milk). Weleda makes an eczema cream that supposedly works very well, I haven't ever had to try it though since eliminaated milk cleared up DD's rash. Good luck!

#106 ·
Quote:

Something Ezra does almost every time is he'll latch, let go, latch, let go, wave his head around, and pant. Then he finally gets on. I've wondered if he wants milk right away and is impatient for let down? Any ideas?
Jonas does the same thing. He'll like latch for a second or just put his lips to my nipple then pull back. I thought he was trying to get the flow going without actually sucking and causing himself to get choked worse. I feel so bad when he chokes on my milk.
He pulls back sometimes and I spray milk all over his face. It's no wonder he gets choked up if it's coming out that forceful.

We have bellybutton today!
: I went to change his diaper and the cord piece was sitting there. Speaking of diapers I think I might start my cloth soon. He's been too small for it and I haven't felt up to doing laundry post c section. Still having issues with the latter. I'm too short for my washer and stretching hurts my incision area.

#107 ·
Yay! More cute belly buttons! Is there anything cuter than the first view of their little belly buttons?!

G started doing smiles last night that look real to me. He's been smiling since the beginning, but these look EAL. *heart melting*

Tonight, DH officially goes back to the shift that he was on before they MADE him go to 2nd. He is so happy, the kids are thrilled, etc. He's also been laid off or partially laid off since the beginning of Dec. He's only worked 2 full weeks since then so it's been tight and stressful. Our tax refund is about to run out. SO going back to the new shift, he's been guranteed a full 5 day work week every week. WOOT! Talk about relief! Espeially since the baby has been born and I'm not sure I want to go back to work.
DH is leaving it up to me. Oy. I love work, but I also don't want to miss any moments with my baby. *sigh*

#108 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Yay! More cute belly buttons! Is there anything cuter than the first view of their little belly buttons?!

G started doing smiles last night that look real to me. He's been smiling since the beginning, but these look EAL. *heart melting*

Tonight, DH officially goes back to the shift that he was on before they MADE him go to 2nd. He is so happy, the kids are thrilled, etc. He's also been laid off or partially laid off since the beginning of Dec. He's only worked 2 full weeks since then so it's been tight and stressful. Our tax refund is about to run out. SO going back to the new shift, he's been guranteed a full 5 day work week every week. WOOT! Talk about relief! Espeially since the baby has been born and I'm not sure I want to go back to work.
DH is leaving it up to me. Oy. I love work, but I also don't want to miss any moments with my baby. *sigh*
That's fantastic! What a relief.

Cook-I think we are dealing with a yeast rash here too. DD also has white patches in her mouth. I have started a bunch of measures to combat the yeast
. I think I let myself get out of control with the sugar at the end of my pregnancy and I didn't have any symptoms of yeast infection so I didn't think I would be bothered by it. I sunned DD's butt for 5 minutes while we were at the pool today and let her air out the whole time we were there.

I am finally learning how to get DD to sleep in her bassinet. She is fussy in the evenings and I have learned to carry her around in the Ella Roo, then bath with DS and bed. I have a lot of evenings alone because DH works a lot at night so it is really important to get a good routine going. I shouldn't have to work too many nights until September and of course, everything will change by then anyway

Anyone start pumping in preparation to go back to work yet? I have 5 more weeks but I am thinking I may start pumping soon and introducing a bottle to DD. She will not take a paci and I am worried she will not take a bottle well. DS did fine, I think we introduced a bottle about now, three weeks old.

#109 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
That's fantastic! What a relief.

Cook-I think we are dealing with a yeast rash here too. DD also has white patches in her mouth. I have started a bunch of measures to combat the yeast
. I think I let myself get out of control with the sugar at the end of my pregnancy and I didn't have any symptoms of yeast infection so I didn't think I would be bothered by it. I sunned DD's butt for 5 minutes while we were at the pool today and let her air out the whole time we were there.

You might want to try this since it looks like DD has thrush. http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp Hope it helps! Also get on some probiotics. Sorry to hear you are dealing with it! I'm so happy that Ezra's rash is SO SO much better. I have my phone pic to show the pedi tomorrow since it's nothing like it was when I took it yesterday.

#110 ·
Thanks Alicia for the link. Unfortunately I am all to familiar with yeast, but I do have always at hand all the right stuff to fight it. I do GSE, Biotin, enzymes between meals, and super strong probiotics. I usually get relief within a day, but unfortunately I cannot give the baby any of these things orally as she is the one who has the most symptoms (just ordered her some probiotics.) *sigh*

#111 ·
I was so excited about Chloe's belly button...even though her's was a little crusty for awhile after the stump fell off. I think it sort of got ripped off a little early from her clothes brushing up against it. It's all better now and so cute!

The baby acne fairy came to visit us this week, she looks like a little pizza face, poor thing. A few times I've swabbed her face with a cotton ball soaked in breast milk (hey, it works for a million other things, why not acne?) but I think we're going to just have to wait it out. I *knew* I should have gotten that birth announcement picture last week...now we'll have to wait until she clears up.
She's nursing SO much now...it seems like the pooping discomfort is starting to clear up (hallelujah!), there's been a noticeable decrease in miserable grunting the last day or so. And we weighed her at home (DH weighed himself and then weighed himself holding her...it's a rough measurement), she's about 10lbs. Up from 8lbs exactly on Monday two weeks ago! 10.5 according to the scale, but I figure with clothes and diapers, it's probably closer to 10. Still! DD1 wasn't 10lbs until she was almost 2 months old! Her new nickname is fatty mcbutterpants.

We got hit with the diaper rash problem too the other day. I started using all disposable (which I hate to do because I'm paying for diaper service and the 'sposies are SO dang expensive) and with that, desitin and washing her little bum a couple times a day w/ a warm cloth and baby soap, it seems to be getting better. I let her air out on the bed last night and she was so happy being naked.
Oh and I have to say, I'm so happy I nabbed a couple of those rubberized cloth pads they use on the beds at the hospital.
Those things are great for airing baby out (and putting under the sheet in case of leaky boobs...protects our mattress).

Asher - hurray for your hubby's job situation! What a relief! MY DH is under major deadlines at work and I feel bad...he didn't have this job when we got pregnant but as far as those things go, the timing for Chloe's birth was pretty inconvenient. I'm doing my best to pull my weight (or more) around the house so he can work...poor guy has been pulling all-nighters and then getting up and going to work in the morning. At least he really likes his job.

#112 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Thanks Alicia for the link. Unfortunately I am all to familiar with yeast, but I do have always at hand all the right stuff to fight it. I do GSE, Biotin, enzymes between meals, and super strong probiotics. I usually get relief within a day, but unfortunately I cannot give the baby any of these things orally as she is the one who has the most symptoms (just ordered her some probiotics.) *sigh*
Awesome! I'm just learning about all this stuff - good reminder for me to get back on probiotics.

#113 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post
We got hit with the diaper rash problem too the other day. I started using all disposable (which I hate to do because I'm paying for diaper service and the 'sposies are SO dang expensive) and with that, desitin and washing her little bum a couple times a day w/ a warm cloth and baby soap, it seems to be getting better. I let her air out on the bed last night and she was so happy being naked.
Oh and I have to say, I'm so happy I nabbed a couple of those rubberized cloth pads they use on the beds at the hospital.
Those things are great for airing baby out (and putting under the sheet in case of leaky boobs...protects our mattress).

Asher - hurray for your hubby's job situation! What a relief! MY DH is under major deadlines at work and I feel bad...he didn't have this job when we got pregnant but as far as those things go, the timing for Chloe's birth was pretty inconvenient. I'm doing my best to pull my weight (or more) around the house so he can work...poor guy has been pulling all-nighters and then getting up and going to work in the morning. At least he really likes his job.

Phooey for the rash but glad it seems to be under control. I'm curious, what is hers like? This month's billing for the diaper service, which my mom is covering, is going to be pretty cheap since we're hardly using any dipes!

Sorry to hear about DH's work but glad you can support him and I know that means a TON to him. Make sure you tell him how proud of him you are and how supported you feel that he works so hard!

Asher, yay for your DH's work changes!!
:
:

We put Ezra down for the night a feeding earlier instead of just a regular nap. That ought to cut out some evening fussiness since he's sleeping instead lol. DH read a Narnia book to us while he nursed in the bedroom.

#114 ·
How much are your little ones sleeping? It seems like all Baby E does is sleeeeeep. I don't remember DS sleeping this much, but honestly I can't remember. She is about 2.5 weeks old and she is either sleeping, nursing, or crying (because she wants to sleep or nurse...). Is this normal???

Also, I am so at the end of my rope with parenting!
I don't know how anyone goes on to have more kids after the second one comes. DS (2.5) has been crazy since his sister's arrival, and I just don't know what to do with him. I lost my patience with him and yelled at him today, and he started bawling, saying "I don't like you yelling at me!" It broke my heart and I apologized, but I just feel so spread thin and I don't know how to deal with his recent behaviors... Add to the mix my sleep deprivation and my velcro-baby E who wants to be held all the time (and shrieks when I can't hold her for some reason), and I just feel like I am on the edge of a breakdown. How are you other mamas handling everything? How long do you think it will take for DS to adjust to his new sister and stop acting out so much?

#115 ·
Catilina - I just posted something similar in Parenting in regards to my single parenting issues. For me it just comes down to all of us having to adjust and make sacrifices for the greater good, DS is starting to have to learn patience and I am having to learn that taking back control from him is really for his own good because we've been letting him run the show for a long time. I'm trying to teach him other ways of communicating with me instead of screaming and hitting, I'm still figuring out how to sympathize with him without giving in every single time but its all a learning process. I too would like to know how long the adjustment took.

As far as sleep is concerned, Laine is such an easy baby compared to DS that I want to pinch myself. She's nursing great, sleeps really well, and is otherwise content to just look around and take in the world. Crying really only happens during diaper changes, otherwise its just little peeps or complaints. I think a lot of it is having done this before, I'm not second guessing myself and I'm already able to "read" her fairly well. She is content to go along for the ride at this point.

#116 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by catilina View Post
How much are your little ones sleeping? It seems like all Baby E does is sleeeeeep. I don't remember DS sleeping this much, but honestly I can't remember. She is about 2.5 weeks old and she is either sleeping, nursing, or crying (because she wants to sleep or nurse...). Is this normal???

Also, I am so at the end of my rope with parenting!
I don't know how anyone goes on to have more kids after the second one comes. DS (2.5) has been crazy since his sister's arrival, and I just don't know what to do with him. I lost my patience with him and yelled at him today, and he started bawling, saying "I don't like you yelling at me!" It broke my heart and I apologized, but I just feel so spread thin and I don't know how to deal with his recent behaviors... Add to the mix my sleep deprivation and my velcro-baby E who wants to be held all the time (and shrieks when I can't hold her for some reason), and I just feel like I am on the edge of a breakdown. How are you other mamas handling everything? How long do you think it will take for DS to adjust to his new sister and stop acting out so much?
G just turned 2 weeks yesterday and is about the same, though he is starting to have some more alert times where he just looks around.

Can you get a sling? I found that extremely helpful for my other velcro babies b/c they were still next to me, but I still had two free hands to do what I needed with the other kids, around the house, etc. BTW, I found the transition from 1 to 2 to be my hardest and a lot of people do.

#117 ·
: I get to play here now! YAY!

Woke up at 6:30 this morning...Packed all my stuff to go home.
: Just waiting for my blood test to come back. My hemoglobin's been low and went lower yesterday.
: But as long as it's the same or better than yesterday, we're busting out of here today!
:

Breastfeeding is going well...Milk's still not in though..But my boobs are huge, swollen and sore today, that's a good sign right?

#118 ·
I must be a nutjob because I am already thinking about the third. And just a couple weeks ago I was ready to go get my tubes tied!!
It truely is a rollercoster. I had forgotten how up and down a newborn can be. G is 5 weeks now and just starting to be less of a "worm" and more of a baby. I love it! The transition to 2 has been waaaay easier than I thought. I think it was so much harder for me to relinquish my selfishness with number one. Having a super active super high needs first child really paved the way for this one.

catilina, and katie. The hard part is definitely the toddler, but I tend to also forget that his behavior has phases too. The tough times end and the sweet times wipe it all away.

Hey, anyone up for a post partum weight loss accountability thread? Obviously I am ahead of most of you in that dept. but I am ready to start losing the rest of this weight (which is NOT easy for me while bf'ing) through careful nutrition and exercise.

#119 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
Hey, anyone up for a post partum weight loss accountability thread? Obviously I am ahead of most of you in that dept. but I am ready to start losing the rest of this weight (which is NOT easy for me while bf'ing) through careful nutrition and exercise.
I'm up for it. Not sure how much I have left to lose, I need to get weighed. I've gone down a ton, but still have a ways to go.
It will be a while before I can actually exercise due to the c-section, but I need to watch my food definately.

#121 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I must be a nutjob because I am already thinking about the third. And just a couple weeks ago I was ready to go get my tubes tied!!
It truely is a rollercoster. I had forgotten how up and down a newborn can be. G is 5 weeks now and just starting to be less of a "worm" and more of a baby. I love it! The transition to 2 has been waaaay easier than I thought. I think it was so much harder for me to relinquish my selfishness with number one. Having a super active super high needs first child really paved the way for this one.

catilina, and katie. The hard part is definitely the toddler, but I tend to also forget that his behavior has phases too. The tough times end and the sweet times wipe it all away.

I am thinking about #3 already too! Its only because the pregnancy went better than #1 and the birth was good. Seriously, it took me over 2 years after DS to want to get pregnant again! We will probably wait for a 3-4 year gap between the kids. Our transition to 2 kids has its ups and downs.

I am all for a weight loss/exercise accountability thread. I am having trouble eating well. I have about 10-12 more lbs to go. I have been walking but I need to get the infant seat attachment for my Bob stroller so it is a more pleasant experience for us both. Need to do strength exercises.

#122 ·
I started running last summer before I got pregnant and tired using the couch to 5k program (it's on the internet somewhere). I'm anxious to get back to it in a few weeks - I'm guessing 6 weeks pp but maybe a little before, we'll see.

We took the kiddos to go see their great-grandparents yesterday and I had DS2 in a wrap. The family thought the wrap was genius and kept asking if I'd thought it up.
Apparently I made quite the impression while wearing DS1 as a baby as well because they remembered the pouch I made for him. Cool.

One of my nipples is very sore, but DS2 does fine on the other side. He just winds up with a pinchy latch which has turned into blisters and a scab and generally one unhappy boob. When DS1 nurses on that side though it doesn't hurt, but he's efficient and clears it out which of course tells it to make more milk which makes it engorged which makes DS2 have a pinchy latch which makes it sore.... ugh. I'm trying to alternate the kiddos but not sure if that helps... it must help, right?

Today is my first day home alone with both kids all day. It's almost 10am, so only 7 more hours to go.

DS1 shrieking in the other room...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.