PP Chat Thread - June 1-7 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else not be able to click on things with the new format? To search a thread, I have to right click, open in new window/tab, and THEN the search box is at the bottom of the screen. I can't click on usernames to look at posts or send a pm.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#122 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
Anyone else not be able to click on things with the new format? To search a thread, I have to right click, open in new window/tab, and THEN the search box is at the bottom of the screen. I can't click on usernames to look at posts or send a pm.
Yes, I have had trouble subbing to some threads.

We create our own reality.
#123 of 154 Old 06-06-2009, 11:34 PM

I NIPed today! :
Ok, not very well, but... We were at the bookstore in teh mall, and I figured I should go ahead and feed him while my older DS was playing and we planned to be there for a few minutes anyway. He was starting to rouse anyway. So I tucked him in the Maya wrap, and finagled until he was at the breast. The left side wasn't a problem cuz of the way the Maya fits, but the right side was hopeless. I ended up taking the sling off, and just holding him, trying to tug my tee down to cover my boob. :

I got pretty good at it with DS1, so I hope I'll learn eventually. It'll help when DS can hold his head, and help more with the latching.

I bought some new nursing bras tonight too. I hope they're the right size. I was reading a thread in TAO about bra fit, and the OP was complaining about when the front of the bra cups don't lay flat on chest, and so I was studying this link someone posted about getting teh best fit. But both DS's and DH were getting restless, and so I THINK I got the best size, but I noticed when I tried them on at home again that the part between the cups doesn't rest on my chest no matter how much I adjust. So I dunno.

Any source for inexpensive nursing tanks/camis?

Also, I caught 2 poops today. : I can't tell though if they seem a it runny. Both times there was SOME pee in teh potty as well, but the poop seemed so soupy. He seems healthy otherwise. I'm trying to rectify my nipple pain, so I've been treating with Gentian Violet in case it's thrush; would that cause watery poops? Or maybe they're always that wet, but I don't know cuz the diaper absorbs the liquid part?

Oh, and before you congratulate me too much, it was a total fluke that I caught those poops. The first time, I was chaning him, noticed he'd started to poop, and plopped him on the little potty just in time to finish. The second time I'd put him on the potty thinking he needed to pee [which he did as well], and I think we were both a bit surprised when he squirted poop into the potty! [it's somewhat explosive when he poops].

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
#124 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydodson View Post

it really depends on her feelings toward you being in her son's life whether or not she will value your opinion...you could approach it like you're both in his life and it would help if you were friends/on the same page...and ask her to go out to lunch w/ you...and build the relationship like that...but just out and out giving her advice on how to mother her child will likely piss her off...good luck. step parenting is challenging at the very least.
Thanks for the advice. We're "friends" and we hang out sometimes, she has said that she likes me and appreciates how I am with her son. I talked about it with DP and I think it's better if I dont say anything. He said the reason why he doesnt say anything anymore, it's because he has and it's like he's speaking to the wind.
#125 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

I was having this problem, so I switched my default back to the old format, where everything still works.

There's a dropdown box on the very bottom left and I switched to Tan II (old format) on that.

You can also make the old format your default by going to User CP, then Edit Options, and at the bottom it will give you that same dropdown box where you can save the old skin.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#126 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Any source for inexpensive nursing tanks/camis?
Gilligan & O'Malley® Nursing Tank at Target I bought 3 and they are great! I am a size med I probably have DD cup and am a normal med size in clothes 145lbs 5'5". They are on sale right now for $15. I like them and the price!

I can't catch up there are so many posts. I am also having problems with the new format grrrr.
#127 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surprisedmama View Post
Gilligan & O'Malley® Nursing Tank at Target I bought 3 and they are great! I am a size med I probably have DD cup and am a normal med size in clothes 145lbs 5'5". They are on sale right now for $15. I like them and the price!

I can't catch up there are so many posts. I am also having problems with the new format grrrr.
thanks!
#128 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rana View Post
I NIPed today! :
Good for you! I NIPed T for the first time yesterday. The first time is always a bit nerve wracking for me. I'm a pretty discreet nurser, and when they're so little and still learning - it's a bit challenging at first. We did it without problems though.

Theresa is such a dream. She's started nursing a lot, so I think she's hitting her growth spurt. *sigh* It goes by so fast.
#129 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 05:24 PM

I second the Gilligan O'Malley tanks. I just got 2 Mediums and I am also a DD+ (they are sorta cleavage shirts on me) I like layering them with t's when I go out.

6 weeks today and my little guy is officially cute!! (Both of my boys have this weird newborn homely period and then bam! one day they are CYUTE!)

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#130 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 05:33 PM

I had a cute baby wearing experience today and wanted to share b/c it made me smile.

DH kept the kids home and I went to get groceries with the baby. I put him in the maya wrap b/c I've discovered that hotsling is way too big fo me. *sigh*

ANYWAY, was two buggies from the front and I see the bag boy (maybe 16?) askinging the cashier if I was carrying a real baby or a doll. From there, he proceeded to comment on how cool the "thing" was that I was carrying the baby in, etc. I was stifling giggles by that point.

Got to the front not expeting him to say anything to me, but he did. He asked me if I made it, told me how cool it was, he'd never seen anything like it, etc., then called the other bag boy over to see how cool it was. I was excited, thinking maybe I'd made an impression on a future daddy about baby wearing and started to say something about remember it if he ever has kids, but just then he goes "Yeah...I'd really love one of those to carry my cat in."

LMAO

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#131 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Asher - That is a cute babywearing story....do you happen to live somewhere in the south? "buggy" is a term I only hear down here

Had what was supposed to be my 2 week visit today even though DD is now three weeks, but no biggy. The mw assistant came by and checked my stitches and we chatted about the birth some. According to my scale, Laine is now 9lbs. According to her's she's 8lbs. 8oz, so either way she's put on a good deal of weight since birth. I think she's going to be more petite than DS though.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#132 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 05:47 PM

Yup, I'm here in NC, too. Originally a Yankee, but lived here more than there.

They didn't do anything at my 2wk appt. except ask how I was doing, to check for post partum depression, etc.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#133 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Yup, I'm here in NC, too. Originally a Yankee, but lived here more than there.

They didn't do anything at my 2wk appt. except ask how I was doing, to check for post partum depression, etc.
Me too! We're originally from upstate NY so it doesn't get much more Yankee than that, lived in Arizona before moving here though.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#134 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Me too! We're originally from upstate NY so it doesn't get much more Yankee than that, lived in Arizona before moving here though.
DH is NY, I'm VT. Miss it terribly even though I've been here so long. It'll always be "home". Hate the Winters, though!

#135 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:

love these tanks! they are all I wear.
DS is a month old today:

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#136 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
DH is NY, I'm VT. Miss it terribly even though I've been here so long. It'll always be "home". Hate the Winters, though!
Yeah the winters are the worst, definitely don't miss those. It was a big adjustment to go from winter for the majority of the year to two seasons: blazing hot summer and rain DH may go back to the national guard in the next couple of years and if he does we will most likely end up back in NY, who knows though.

#137 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:

I have these and I love them. I have been wearing them at night and around the house during the day.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#138 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 PM

I wear those tanks all the time too. My mediums are a little tight right now in the new and improved bust area but I have hope that things will go back with time.

carry the cat. That's awesome.
#139 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
but just then he goes "Yeah...I'd really love one of those to carry my cat in."

LMAO
Lol! I practiced using my Moby Wrap with my cat before my first was born! I was trying to get the cat to become more comfortable outside (he had had a very traumatic early kittenhood and was terrified of the outdoors).

Today I went to church and had the baby in the Baby K'tan using it as a sling, and one of the older men in my ward asked me about it, whether it was a wrap or a sling and how much practice I had using it. The answer to that question is that I've been babywearing now for 2 1/2 years, so I've got a good deal of practice. Then he proceeded to tell me that he had heard on the radio that they were responsible for the suffocation deaths of infants. I think maybe he was referring to the Consumer Reports article from last month? Has anyone else heard anything about this report? Anyway, I told him that I know that it can (and has) happened but it is generally due to user error. He seemed to accept that pretty much anything can become dangerous if used improperly. But I walked away from that exchange wondering what to think of it. ???

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#140 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 PM

When I used the sling w/ DD1 a friend went nuts over it and got one to carry her pomeranian in.

I love my new maya type wrap it let me nurse while shopping, not having to stop and sit down someplace and try to keep DDs occupied. Definately my sling of choice now.

Target nursing tanks are great, the bras are okay, but definately have some bulging material at least when you are empty . I use just plain tanks most. The last two times saw me going into winter w/ an infant so I wore two layers and it made nursing really easy, below the boob was covered by the tank and above was covered by the shirt. First time having to deal with it through the summer, so I think I need to go pick up some more of those nursing tanks from target.

I HAVE LOVE HANDLES!!! WOOHOO!! There is definition between hips and fat now, not just one big mass!!! I'm so excited! How goofy is that

BC - DH has decided he might want a V, anyone else looked into it? We only would if there is no doubt about being able to reverse. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it, but I told him it is totally his choice, if he didn't want to mess with sponges or condoms because I am definately now volunteering for anything beyond that. We know we want more kids, but we really have to wait at least two more years because this house cannot accomedate 6 of us. We are planning on a lot more looking into it before making a choice.... just not sure where to start.....

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#141 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I was excited, thinking maybe I'd made an impression on a future daddy about baby wearing and started to say something about remember it if he ever has kids, but just then he goes "Yeah...I'd really love one of those to carry my cat in."
I have pictures of me carrying my little yappy dog in my Over The Shoulder Baby Holder! :
#142 of 154 Old 06-07-2009, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

I think I want a Kangaroo Korner microfleece adjustable pouch. I think it would work out well indoors in the a/c but would probably also be suitable for out and about because it will wick moisture.

jenneology - Haven't heard anything about suffocation, but as you said pretty much anything used improperly has consequences, including death. I assume it probably has something to do with positional asphyxiation due to improper positioning of the baby.

#143 of 154 Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 AM

I can totally see how a baby could suffocate in the sling, depending on how snuggled down they get in it.

I saw a lady at a bird show with a dog in a front carrier, think snugli. I admit to giggling. The poor thing was flailing its legs and looked so embarassed. ing9:

DH is supposed to call to schedule his vasectomy today. I'll believe it when I see it.

#144 of 154 Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 AM

UGGG!! DS is making me so frustrated! He keeps waking up really early and climbing into our bed. I used to look forward to when he came to snuggle with us. BUt I am seriously sleep deprived and he comes in 1.5 hrs earlier than he used to wake up. Then he puts his feet on me and his toenails scratch me. Then he wakes up DD continuously by kissing her and hugging her even though we ask him not to touch her when she sleeps. I think its time to set some limits for my sanity.

suffocation-I hadn't heard about babies in slings. But when my mom was here she made a point of telling me how 5 babies in Milwaukee died because of co sleeping recently. It was a passive way for her to tell me she doesn't like co sleeping . We do it some with the baby. I mean who doesn't fall asleep nursing a baby at night?

I wish I could wear a nursing tank! I am getting a little smaller now, maybe I am a G cup. Hoping in another month I'll go down another size.

We create our own reality.
#145 of 154 Old 06-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneology View Post

Today I went to church and had the baby in the Baby K'tan using it as a sling, and one of the older men in my ward asked me about it, whether it was a wrap or a sling and how much practice I had using it. The answer to that question is that I've been babywearing now for 2 1/2 years, so I've got a good deal of practice. Then he proceeded to tell me that he had heard on the radio that they were responsible for the suffocation deaths of infants. I think maybe he was referring to the Consumer Reports article from last month? Has anyone else heard anything about this report? Anyway, I told him that I know that it can (and has) happened but it is generally due to user error. He seemed to accept that pretty much anything can become dangerous if used improperly. But I walked away from that exchange wondering what to think of it. ???
I haven't heard about slings in general causing suffocation, but there is a good bit of info online about the Infantino Slingrider causing that because it causes their chin to point down toward their chest and can cut off air. I have a Mamma's milk sling and haven't fit it well yet to not have the same position occur but I'll try it again and see if he can lay better in it.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#146 of 154 Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
UGGG!! DS is making me so frustrated! He keeps waking up really early and climbing into our bed. I used to look forward to when he came to snuggle with us. BUt I am seriously sleep deprived and he comes in 1.5 hrs earlier than he used to wake up. Then he puts his feet on me and his toenails scratch me. Then he wakes up DD continuously by kissing her and hugging her even though we ask him not to touch her when she sleeps. I think its time to set some limits for my sanity.
We have the exact same issue with our ds1. I try not to mind though because the babe sleeps so well at night. I might feel differently if we were up all night.

DS1 has a fever today. No other symptoms. Just trying to keep him from getting into ds2's face all day though.

Hows everyons doing with cloth diapering? (I wanted to start a new thread, but I figure it'll get moved anyway) I'm still loving the prefolds and covers. Just bought some size smalls since the nb's are getting snug. I'm getting 2 imse vimse's and (hopefully) a super brite and 2 thirsties from diaperswappers.
I'm still using a sposie at night but eventually I will find some stay dry dipes to purchase.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#147 of 154 Old 06-08-2009, 02:36 PM

cloth diapering is working really well for us so far. Im so glad I went ahead and invested in newborn sizes because my baby has a tiny bottom! We have about 5 covers ( my favorite is the super whisper wrap and a blueberry bums cover) and some all in ones. (bum genius) my mom made me a bunch of fitted diapers that we have been using with covers. Every once in a while we will use a prefold and I use prefolds at night with a bum genius for extra absorbency. My mom also made us a few wool covers out of old sweaters and those work really well too. Cloth diapering is not as scary or as hard as I thought it would be. I wash every other day and actually have managed to keep up with the diaper laundry.

Shelley, married to my wonderful DH and mama to DD (11) DD (5) and  DD (2)
#148 of 154 Old 06-08-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody else have no appetite? I seriously could go all day without eating and not be hungry, I have to force myself to eat but everything seems so unappetizing to me.

We are failing miserably with cloth diapering. Laine has the tiniest butt and hips in the world in proportion to the rest of her body and none of my NB diapers are fitting right, we are having major leakage regardless of what I put on her. NB sposies don't have enough of a butt pouch to hold everything, but the size 1's are falling right off her butt unless I put a onesie on her. I could break down and experiment until we found the right size prefolds but I really don't want to spend money right now if I can help it. I'm currently using sposies that others have purchased for me. Diapering a girl is SOOOO much harder than diapering a boy.

#149 of 154 Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post

Hows everyons doing with cloth diapering? (I wanted to start a new thread, but I figure it'll get moved anyway) I'm still loving the prefolds and covers. Just bought some size smalls since the nb's are getting snug. I'm getting 2 imse vimse's and (hopefully) a super brite and 2 thirsties from diaperswappers.
I'm still using a sposie at night but eventually I will find some stay dry dipes to purchase.
Since dd#2 was born at almost 10 lbs, I barely got to use my newborn stash. Actually, the covers are all still working great, but I had to move up to the next size of prefold already, which I still don't have the hang of. I just can't seem to get them snug enough around the leg to keep her from blowing out of them.

But, now she fits into the small Fuzzi Bunz that my cousin sent me (18 of them) so the last few days I've pretty much switched over to them.

We're in sposies at night too. Emory is such a great sleeper I've noticed that she doesn't really wet until it starts getting light out, which means I get pretty good sleep. With the sposies I don't have to change her until 5am-ish.

Any sugguestions on how to get the prefolds to work better? Right now I'm just folding both sides in and then spreading the tops out and snappying. I haven't gotten the hang of the twist style yet.

Sadie
#150 of 154 Old 06-08-2009, 03:48 PM

We're not doing well with cloth diapering here either. DS sleeps for so long and pees so often while sleeping that he soaks through a prefold before he wakes up! And his awake periods are so short that there's not much point in putting a prefold on him because he'll fall asleep before it needs changing and then he'll be soaked before waking up. I've resigned myself to mostly sposies for another few weeks until he's more alert during the day.

We're having the same night-time toddler issues as Nolansmum too. DD gets up around 2am to come in and sleep in our bed. She kicks in her sleep though, so I've been taking her back to her own bed. Last night DH got home from work at 2:15 and said he had to put her back to bed again, after I had put her back at 1:45. ack! At least potty training didn't get derailed with the new baby??

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page