Afterpains anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2009, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone else have noticeable afterpains with their birth?

I did, and they were severe to the point where I was complaining about them. My midwife recommended crampbark tincture. I used a Trilight herbs combination called "Contract Ease" which primary ingredient was crampbark and I felt it helped some if I took it the recommended every 4 hours--I felt like drinking it for a little while!

Between the afterpains (that lasted longer than a normal labor contraction) and the achey joint feeling in my hips and pelvis--the same kind of ache in your joints when you have a cold or flu--I was pretty uncomfortable for the first couple of days after the birth.

I've heard that afterpains increase in severity after each birth. Ugh, please no.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 AM

Yep its true! At least it was for me.

My afterpains this time around were VICIOUS. They offered me percoset for the pain at the hospital and for one minute I actually considered taking it. It was kind of like being in labor again for me, they felt like labor contractions. And they lasted a lot longer this time around. a few days for me at least. It sucked.

Shelley, married to my wonderful DH and mama to DD (11) DD (5) and  DD (2)
Old 06-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Yikes, this is only my 2nd, and they felt almost like labor pains to me, only sharper. I took ibuprofen every 4 hours for 3-4 days before they eased up...

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 06-06-2009, 11:04 PM

the afterpains with #2 were wicked!! Lasted around a week I think? This time around they really weren't as bad as I thought. I took a few doses of motrin for the first two days then didn't need it anymore. So they were not worse for me this time around.

They do suck though!!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 PM

I think mine lasted about 5 days or so? The first 3 days were the worst, but it didn't seem like they were any worse than with my first. I'm all for natural childbirth but I have no patience for afterpains, I took Motrin.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 06-06-2009, 11:17 PM

I'm sorry for your pain mama! My own afterpains have increased in severity with each pregnancy.

There was a day about 3 days pp that dh asked if I was having another baby. Apparently I was breathing exactly as I did during the end of my labor.

Lasted for 6 days this time.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:38 AM

Oh yeah, mine were terrible this time. I didn't have any that I remember with dd#1, but this time they were so bad at points that I just wanted to pass out. It was like my labor contractions only that they didn't subside after a minute or two like in labor.

I tried the tincture my mw gave me, it was only moderately helpful. But, it had motherwort, cramp bark, valerian, and black haw. Luckily for me they were only bad the first 2 days, and after that for a couple of days it just felt like menstrual cramps.

Now I have a raging case of hemorrhoids that's keeping me down. Any sugguestions?

Sadie
Old 06-07-2009, 01:58 PM

Totally!
Try Catnip tea! It might taste that great, but it seriously works! (and is good for treating jaundice).
Old 06-07-2009, 02:00 PM

sitz bath is good for hemorrhoids! try that! you can squeeze it on w/ a peri bottle, apply it w/ pads soaked in the infusion, or do the sitz thing!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:24 PM

Nasty, nasty, nasty pains. I'm with Katie--I'm all for natural chilbirth, but I kept the bottle og tylenol close by for those after pains!!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 PM

With DD, I had a car seat massager the vibrated and heated, and I had that in my nursing chair. It felt great on my lower back.
HTH!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:52 AM

Yes, lots for me too. I NEVER take OTC pain relievers, but I was poppin' the ibuprofen AND Tylenol every 6 hours for at least 4 days. They were extremely painful...and yes, similar to labor. Not so fun.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
Old 06-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
I think mine lasted about 5 days or so? The first 3 days were the worst, but it didn't seem like they were any worse than with my first. I'm all for natural childbirth but I have no patience for afterpains, I took Motrin.
YUP!!! And mine definitely got worse with each one so they were NOT pleasant this time with #5. Oy.

I had Ibuprofen in the hospital. They offered something harder, but I felt stupid (and bad) even consdering it sine I'd gone through a natural birth.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM

my midwife recomended massaging your own uterus as much as possible to keep it from going slack and needing to contract- what causes the pain. and it does keep getting worse, she said some of the amish ladies sew a 5lb bag of flour into muslim and layit over their abdomen while postpartum- sounds intense (but actually sounded nice to me!) but i guess after 14 kids, you could have a 45 minute labor and labor pains for four days, you'll do anything!

User Tag List