PP Chat Thread June 8-14 - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 171 Old 06-15-2009, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_p_i View Post
Perhaps I just need more practice with it?
It takes a while to get used to for sure, but it is definitely worth the practice! I couldn't live without my sling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 171 Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I have a hotsling, as well as a maya wrap and a baby bjorn. She doesn't quiet fit in the baby bjorn yet, and I accidentally packed the maya wrap already (plus it seems a bit complicated when I'm by myself) so I've been using the hotsling. I feel like my boobs are giant and obstruct her comfort! I can't quite get her in there so I feel like she's comfortable. The first time I put her in it was great, we took a walk and she napped the whole time. Every time after that she squirms around and makes little sounds like she's not comfortable, so I take her out. Perhaps I just need more practice with it?
I'm not much of a pouch fan for the exact reason you describe. Past 10 days or so its really hard to get a baby to snug up their legs willingly enough to fit in a pouch because they like to stretch their limbs. Its also hard to get a really personalized fit with a pouch. I found that a wrap or a mei tai was the easiest to use and that's pretty much what I stick with now, is there a babywearing group near you where you could try out some different carriers?

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#153 of 171 Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 PM

JD - It also gets better with each kid. DH was VERY difficult when we came home with DD1, a little less difficult when we came home with DD2, and this time around he gets it And is really realllllly helpful. Don't let it get to you too bad, it will probably eventually come to him. The only dad's I've known that never get it weren't even willing to touch their kids when they were babies.

jpi - Holy crap! I'm glad you've found someplace new. I wouldn't be able to sleep next to those nut balls.

Slings - http://www.mayawrap.com/n_sewsling.php this is the sling I made and have had the most success with. If they want their legs out you can stick them in sideways and leave them out or tuck them in, then it can be a hip sling later on, just really great all around baby carrier.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#154 of 171 Old 06-15-2009, 11:46 PM

JPI-Holy smokes! Good thing you are getting out of your rental. I cannot believe the owners are not protecting their investment property.

Carriers- I am using the Ella Roo, love it! And the Dydimos, which is harder to get just right, but is greta once I do. Need to learn the back carry. Should find a babywearing group, but I feel so busy already, its just another thing 'to do'. DD fell asleep while I was vacuuming. She thrives on noise!

JR- Hope you find a really good LC to address your issues. Can a craniosacral therapist help with that also? I have been thinking of going to a LC because DD makes a clicking sound when she nurses. She is gaining weight just fine, really fast in fact, so I have no doubt she is getting enough. It is so hard to know when she just needs to suck and when she is genuinely hungry. Today I was able to get her to suck on my finger and then I slipped a paci in and she took it for about 30 min!

We create our own reality.
#155 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I have a hotsling, as well as a maya wrap and a baby bjorn. She doesn't quiet fit in the baby bjorn yet, and I accidentally packed the maya wrap already (plus it seems a bit complicated when I'm by myself) so I've been using the hotsling. I feel like my boobs are giant and obstruct her comfort! I can't quite get her in there so I feel like she's comfortable. The first time I put her in it was great, we took a walk and she napped the whole time. Every time after that she squirms around and makes little sounds like she's not comfortable, so I take her out. Perhaps I just need more practice with it?
Argh, I have had the same issues with the boobs seeming to be in the way in the hotsling, even when I tried the next size up. I gave up on it for now and have been using an ugly but effective old-school Snugli carrier that my mom used for me when I was a baby. But really, I'm counting the days until he's big enough to go in the Ergo, which is my favorite baby carrier since my boobage isn't an impediment when wearing it.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#156 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 12:32 PM

Well I have her in the baby bjorn today, and I've been able to get a bunch done while she sleeps! (and got to talk on the phone, yay!) I think she's getting ready to wake up, but I've gotten a couple hours in, and I don't feel like I'm smothering her. She likes to keep her arms curled up inside the bjorn, which seems fine while I'm walking around the house. She's grunting a bit now so I think she's done for now, but so far this has been successful!

And she's nearly done peeling, another good thing

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#157 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 12:55 PM

j_p_i--good luck with the move.

dp's--mine swings back and forth. I was so mother bear with ds1, that dh didn't really have a chance to help much. That and ds ate about every 30 minutes, but he tried. He was awesome with ds2. They are also much closer. Ds2 usually prefers dad over me. He was good with ds3, but was so busy and then sick that he didn't help much. This time, he is struggling again, but is trying. I usually have to spell out what it is I want him to do.

I started putting dd in the Hopp in the rucksack carry. Back carries are hands down my favorite. She fusses a bit getting into it, but zonks out as soon as I tie the last knot. I get so much done. Shoulda seen me 2 nights ago--I was the grilling queen w/ dd strapped to my back. I'll have to get a pic of that LOL.

My body is doing weird things. I've had a nasty cold that won't completely go away. I'm thinking I have a 2ndary infection. Then I got a cold sore that got infected. bizzarro! Then 2 infected hangnails. Now I have a weird rash on my bum. And my cough is back. And I had diarrhea for 2 days. I'm trying to eliminate sugar and I'm on probiotics. I hope it all goes away soon before I break out in thrush or something. Anyone else feel like the trip out of pregnancy is a bit rough?
#158 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 01:04 PM

Quick drop in posting! Hi!

Gosh, I so desperately want to master a back carry. I have a gypsymama bali breeze wrap which is great, but it is so long that I get tangled up easily. It's a hand me down from a friend so it's not well sized for me. I think I will go to the fabric store later today and get some cotton gauze and try out a shorter wrap to see if that helps me master a back carry.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#159 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 01:55 PM

jpi So glad you are getting out of your apartment! Yikes!

Im totally addicted to slings. I have a SPB Ring sling, a bunch of mammas milk pouches and a sleepy wrap and an Ellaroo. I think babies usually need a bit of adjustment to slings and the best way to do it is to get them in and start walking immediately. My dd almost always fusses when I first put her in the sling but after a few minutes of walking she is happy. I had her in the sleepywrap for 4 hours yesterday and 3.5 of those were sleeping. I want to get more proficient with my Ellaroo and learn a back carry! it looks so scary with an infant. I used to do it with my toddler back in the day.

DD2 had been extra fussy at the breast the past few days. It seems to be only at night and its nurse for a minute and then start yanking around back and forth, sideways, and sometimes she will mash her face right into my breast for a minute. I will pull her off and burp her and put her back on but its the same thing 20 seconds into the feeding. I have to do that for an hour at least before she will go to sleep for the night. It sucks.

Does anyone have any ideas? My thoughts are gas or my supply. Could the milk be going too slowly for her and thats why she mashing her face in? Anyone elses baby do this? She seems hungry when I put her on and she also gets some big burps out when I burp her.

Shelley, married to my wonderful DH and mama to DD (11) DD (5) and  DD (2)
#160 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 02:27 PM

renee - Anna is doing that too, mostly at night, but sometimes during the day. No amount of burping seems to help. Then she gets so worked up its hard to calm her. I just got her to sleep after fighting this battle for 30 minutes, it's usually an hour + at night. I'm beginning to think she'd exhausted but doesn't want to sleep. I haven't been using the sling much at home, but when she starts this fight tonight, I think I'm going to slip her in the sling and see if she gives up and goes to sleep. It definatley seems to have helped today

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#161 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 03:22 PM

OceansEve Thats interesting. I just noticed that our dds were born on the same day.

I went to Kellymom and looked it up and now Im wondering if its a growth spurt? Our babies are in the right age range. I guess Im going to try nursing her a whole lot and see if that helps. I just had my baby in the sling and she fussed and fussed and tried to eat my collar bone and when I took her out she nursed up a storm even though I had finished feeding her for an hour twenty minutes before!

Im glad the sling is working for you! My baby fights sleep too. Its all so confusing to know exactly what is going on with them sometimes.

Shelley, married to my wonderful DH and mama to DD (11) DD (5) and  DD (2)
#162 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 05:09 PM

I am feeling much better from the food poisoning today, thanks for the well-wishes

RR & OE: When my DD does this (well, she doesn't mash her face in but she does fuss and pull off, etc) it's because she is really very tired. I think she wants to suck to sleep but doesn't necessarily want milk. She almost exclusively does it before going to sleep for the night but sometimes does it during the day when she is super tired (and/or overstimulated) too. She doesn't like a pacifier (which is fine with me), but if I keep her at the breast while rocking/patting/whatever, she usually eventually calms down enough and usually does nurse for awhile before finally falling into a deep sleep. I think she just needs to decompress...

In other news, DD is a very particular baby- I'm having a hard time. DS was such a laid-back baby (who turned into a very spirited toddler!) and DD is soooo different (maybe this means she'll turn into a laid-back toddler??? I can only hope! ). She will almost never sleep during the day unless I am holding her. I can usually get her down on our bed for one good nap a day. The rest of the time (and she is still sleeping most of the day) I have to wrap her or have her on my chest (I just now nursed her to sleep and the second I laid her down on the bed *next to me* she woke up. She's starting to fuss now...). It's making me a little crazy. Sometimes I need to NOT be attached to a baby (to, you know, use the bathroom, shower, things like that...). At night she won't fall asleep and stay asleep unless she is swaddled tightly, but then she after she falls asleep she grunts and groans and wiggles until her little arms are free, and then that wakes her up *groan*. She wakes up to nurse somewhere between 4 and 5 (depending on when she last awoke to eat) and then she just won't go back to sleep (maybe because it is starting to get light). She won't tolerate being put down, ever. She starts screaming bloody murder if I even set her down for a second. This makes it hard to take care of my toddler. She doesn't like the wrap/mei tai unless she wants to sleep. She is so particular. Most of the time I am okay with it, in fact I find it a bit amusing that she already has so many strong opinions at such a young age, but sometimes it just starts to wear on me... Anyone else have a very needy babe?

She also has a diaper rash. She's had it basically since day 1. I can't remember if it showed up before or after we started using cloth diapers. It's peely at the edges right where I jelly-roll the edges of the prefold, and red in the diaper area. It doesn't bother her at all. But it looks bad and it makes me sad. I can't figure out what it is or what to do about it. Maybe she is just sensitive to the wetness of the prefold? Or detergent? I might try to change detergents and see if that helps.

. catherine . yourfireyoursoul.blogspot.com .
mommy to one hilarious little boy [09.2006] and one cuddly baby girl [05.2009]

#163 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM

I didn't notice that they were bday buddies! How funny. I sure hope its just a phase!

catilina - I totally relate. She might be okay putting her down awake for about 2 minutes - tops. I have to hold her all day, and even then she cries quite a bit, so its a dance most of the day to find the right position. That is the one thing keeping me from freaking out about her lack of looking at me - the fact she obviously needs comforting from me hopefully means she won't have a social problem...

Anna's u/s results came back and her kidney is still enlarged so off to the urologist we go.... in two months or more I'm sure, no one is ever in any hurry to get anything scheduled or taken care of. I'm just exhausted when it comes to dealing with the medical community......

#164 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 PM

I successfully got Laine into a back carry today in the Beco (she's still asleep there now). It makes me feel better about cooking while wearing her, I managed to even eat dinner tonight without spilling any food on her She definitely has more awake periods now and is more predictable in terms of her fussy periods, but is nowhere near as difficult as DS was. Often times I can just lay her down on her lambskin and she'll fall asleep, he never did anything remotely close to that until he was well past age one. Its amazing how easily she's just found her niche in our family and fit right in. I can't believe she'll be a month old tomorrow.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#165 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Isn't it funny with the first kiddo you spaz and quickly clean your babe off when you spill food on them, this time around it's like "Here let me get that" *lick* off the forehead

#166 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
Isn't it funny with the first kiddo you spaz and quickly clean your babe off when you spill food on them, this time around it's like "Here let me get that" *lick* off the forehead
Its so funny you mention that. We were outside getting ready for a walk one night and I had laid her down in our double jogging stroller while I put the baby carrier on. One of my neighbors came by and her onesie had a big sauce mark on the front courtesy of DS. I had to explain what happened when she asked "HOW old is your baby again"? I think she thought I had served her up a big plate of spaghetti or something

#167 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
ha ha so true!!!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#168 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Katie -

"You don't feed a baby chili!" Anyone wanna play name that movie?

#169 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJane View Post
I started putting dd in the Hopp in the rucksack carry. Back carries are hands down my favorite. She fusses a bit getting into it, but zonks out as soon as I tie the last knot. I get so much done. Shoulda seen me 2 nights ago--I was the grilling queen w/ dd strapped to my back. I'll have to get a pic of that LOL.
I have to figure out a back carry for DS. When he is awake he just does not want to be put down. Than maybe I can still get stuff done instead of carrying him around for hours on end and losing the use of my arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJane View Post
My body is doing weird things. I've had a nasty cold that won't completely go away. I'm thinking I have a 2ndary infection. Then I got a cold sore that got infected. bizzarro! Then 2 infected hangnails. Now I have a weird rash on my bum. And my cough is back. And I had diarrhea for 2 days. I'm trying to eliminate sugar and I'm on probiotics. I hope it all goes away soon before I break out in thrush or something. Anyone else feel like the trip out of pregnancy is a bit rough?
I've been battling a cold turned sinus infection for 3 weeks already and I just cannot kick it. I'll start to feel ok, my sinuses will finally clear out, than bam I get a sinus headache again and they become stuffed again and I feel like crap. I've had good luck with fresh garlic in the past, I need to get some tomorrow and start eating it to kill this thing off.

The drama here never ends...DS has what we think is a blocked tear duct. he woke up from his nap with a crusty and goopy eye, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him. I called the nurse at the ped's office, they said to just do warm compresses and gently massage under his eye. I'm hoping it isn't pink eye, but if it isn't better by tomorrow than they want me to bring him in. And now DD has an infected tooth that is going to need to be taken care of ASAP. We had put it off knowing the tooth was going, but I couldn't deal with it the last few weeks of pg and than after the c-section she started complaining that it hurt. Tonight the poor child screamed and cried for 2 hours from it. Tylenol barely touched the pain and she finally went to bed. I took a look in her mouth and there is a big lump above the tooth with a a white spot in the middle, I think its an abscess. I have to get her better by Saturday, we are having her birthday party. I want to run away at this point.

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#170 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Katie -

"You don't feed a baby chili!" Anyone wanna play name that movie?
Mr. Mom!

#171 of 171 Old 06-16-2009, 11:33 PM

New Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page