PP Chat Thread June 8-14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New thread!

I miss cloth diapering because of the rash They were working so well re: leaks, and the sposies are fine, but they occasionally leak and cost money...

Ezra's rash is sorta under control but is still there. Sigh. I also confirmed that dairy is an issue now for his comfort. He's fussy and obviously uncomfortable, kicking, straining, crying, etc the morning after I eat dairy. Also, I'm cutting out sugar to ruin the environment for yeast (the rash). I'm convinced the rash is from an unresolved yeast infection from pregancy + abx for surgery. The yeast just thrived.

How's everyone else? I've been getting more exercise lately and know I'll lose more weight with cutting out sugar.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#2 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 04:43 PM

Going to jump in here in this new thread and see if I can keep up!

Cook: sorry you are struggling with the rash. hope things clear up soon

I feel like things are going to well for us. I was thinking today about how smooth our transition is, how stable I feel, how easy Eliza and began to wonder if its soon going to all come crashing down on us??

I'm just really surprised at how smooth its all going especially now that all my help is gone and I am settling in to being a mom of three. I feel very lucky.

Cloth diapering: should I be folding the prefolds a certain way? I just fold in the two sides and stick it in the cover folded sides down? So far its going well. I am still using sposies at night too, mostly because I am too out of it to change her and she sleeps for such a long period of time. But we are fully in cloth during the day now!!
#3 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 04:54 PM

We didn't do cloth diapers, DP was aghast that I would even consider it, lol. And frankly, I can't imagine the extra work right now :

I've been using the new huggies organics since I had coupons for them and I LOVE them, very soft, absorbent and all over nice. I tried the cheapo Walmart brand and they are terrible.

We're doing ok. I can get DS to latch on and nurse 1-2 times a day, but he won't do any more than that. But pumping has gotten old quickly, so I'm returning the pump and will just nurse him the 1-2 times a day and formula that rest of the feedings. I'm just happy he's getting any breastmilk at all, especially since formula is so dang expensive :

Other than that, we're ok. Trying to find a natural rhythm to the day with the kids, so far there is none, lol.

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#4 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 PM

We have thrush, but are still using cloth. We just wash and dry on hot and add gse to the rinse cycle. I am also taking gse, rinsing my nipples with it, taking probiotics, using gentian violet on both of us, wiping her bum with vinegar water, and Addy has nystatin as well. i think it is almost gone.

So I had spinal anesthesia (and am now having spinal related headaches yay). Then I had general anesthesia when there were complications, and the spinal started to wear off.

When I had my hernia surgery, I remember everything until I lost consciousness and I remember everything since waking up. This time, I have gaps in my memory both before and after the anesthesia. I didn't even realize I had general anesthesia until the ob came to check in on me early that morning. She was surprised.

So anyways, I remember sitting in bed in the maternity ward when Scott went home around 5 in the morning. I remember hearing a baby crying and crying and calling the nurses to make sure it wasn't my baby and that they would bring me my baby when she woke up. I sat there, really depressed, wanting my baby so bad, until i realized that I didn't have to wait for her to wake up and paged the nurse to bring my baby to me, which she did. I then held and nursed her for an hour. I was so happy and surprised she nursed so well right away because it was 5:30, and she had been born at 12:43.

As I have been processing everything, Scott and I have been comparing our memories of what happened, he has been filling in the blanks, etc.

Well I thought that was the first time I held and nursed my baby. It turns out that I held and nursed Adelaide in the recovery room with Scott and my midwives there. I have no memory of this.

I am really devastated that I have no memory of the first time I held and nursed my daughter.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#5 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
We have thrush, but are still using cloth. We just wash and dry on hot and add gse to the rinse cycle. I am also taking gse, rinsing my nipples with it, taking probiotics, using gentian violet on both of us, wiping her bum with vinegar water, and Addy has nystatin as well. i think it is almost gone.

So I had spinal anesthesia (and am now having spinal related headaches yay). Then I had general anesthesia when there were complications, and the spinal started to wear off.

When I had my hernia surgery, I remember everything until I lost consciousness and I remember everything since waking up. This time, I have gaps in my memory both before and after the anesthesia. I didn't even realize I had general anesthesia until the ob came to check in on me early that morning. She was surprised.

So anyways, I remember sitting in bed in the maternity ward when Scott went home around 5 in the morning. I remember hearing a baby crying and crying and calling the nurses to make sure it wasn't my baby and that they would bring me my baby when she woke up. I sat there, really depressed, wanting my baby so bad, until i realized that I didn't have to wait for her to wake up and paged the nurse to bring my baby to me, which she did. I then held and nursed her for an hour. I was so happy and surprised she nursed so well right away because it was 5:30, and she had been born at 12:43.

As I have been processing everything, Scott and I have been comparing our memories of what happened, he has been filling in the blanks, etc.

Well I thought that was the first time I held and nursed my baby. It turns out that I held and nursed Adelaide in the recovery room with Scott and my midwives there. I have no memory of this.

I am really devastated that I have no memory of the first time I held and nursed my daughter.
Wow, yeah, that is very hard to not have that memory. Maybe it is not permanently gone. I'm sorry you have had these side effects (including thrush). s

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Things are still going well here, except in the sleep department. I only get one 3 hour stretch a night and that is on a good night, the rest is 45 min-1 stretches here and there. Nursing is going very well, he's growing like a weed. He's still very gassy/burpy, the lack of dairy in my diet seems to have done nothing to help it so I'm giving it until this Saturday (when it will have been 3 weeks without) and then I'm going to start indulging again. It's my birthday and I want ice cream with my cake! I'm enjoying getting out for walks everyday and finally able to do all of the household chores again, although more slowly and with breaks to nurse, etc. He doesn't like to be put down much except when napping so I've learned to do a lot with him looking around in the sling. I like wearing him so that's no big deal. Loving cloth diapering here, didn't do it with DS1 and I really enjoy wrapping his bum in cloth. He loves bath time as well so I try and bathe him every 3rd day b/c it is a nice quiet time. DS1 is still doing great with the transition but we'll see if that changes in a couple of weeks once school is out. I've been pumping and we gave him his first bottle on Saturday, luckily it went really well. We'll continue to do that 2-3 times a week as I need him to take a bottle for my return to part time doula work in September.

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#7 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 07:40 PM

We have thrush too, and yeast and all that fun stuff...but I had unresolved yeast issues anyway...I'm doing all the precautions as well (GV, Nystatin, etc) the only part that always drives me crazy is the diet and cutting out all the sugars...oh well...

Very sleep deprived...in love with the little guy but just sleep deprived....

Right now hard to find balance with him and my daughter as well...if I have any more, we're going to wait until either child is no longer a baby!

I don't really have a memory of holding my boy and nursing him for the first time either because I had Stadol before my section and it made me dopey and/or it was sleep deprivation and having the section done...There's pictures of it though, so I do feel a little better about that....

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
#8 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 PM

I'm loving cd too. This is my 4th cd babe though. I feel like it is so much easier with a girl. Funny that a pp on last weeks thread said the opposite! LOL
I also do sposies at night. Almost always have. It's just easier for us. My favorite are the Costco diapers. So crunchy eh?

Alicia--I have to cut out dairy too. Maybe chocolate as well. Miriam was throwing up and getting a rash all over. Stopping dairy fixed it. I'm really bummed. I was hoping that by doing/not doing all the stuff I *wish* had done with her brother would prevent the allergies. For some reason, that is a little emotional for me right now.

Speaking of emotions, I was good for awhile, but have been all over again with my moods. Dh keeps asking me how I feel. I feel like screaming, quite frankly. He is the one who is really ticking me off. He keeps saying he's tired and takes a nap. Yeah buddy. So tough getting up with the toddler. Guess who did it the last 21 months? And he gets to actually leave the house w/o planning nursing, diapering, how long of a trip is wise with a newborn, etc. I really don't think men are capable of truly understanding what it is like to be a SAHM mom with a newbon, y'know? Really for the most part he's been great--helps with the kids, diapers, dishes, makes dinner sometimes, folds laundry. It's just that his depression I think is surfacing again with the change a new baby brings and I'm emotional enough already. I have a hard time dealing with his depression too.

I am lucky that Miriam is still nursing great and sleeps the best of all 4 of my kids. As a matter of fact, I rewarded ds2 today with fries for being the only person who didn't keep me up. Even dh thought 3 am when we were both already up was a good time to get frisky. Go to bed, old man!

All I can say yis thank goodness for Coke and my Moby wrap!!
#9 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 PM

CD - I was doing it during the day w/ Chloe during her first week or so, but she gets a rash every time I use them...so now, i've paid for two weeks and hardly used them. I was going to start up the other day again, but little fatty doesn't fit into the newborn size prefolds, so I have to wait until next week to get a shipment of regular size dipes. Oh well...Until then we're using Huggies. At least they've been on sale at Safeway for the last several weeks.

Speaking of Safeway...I think I would die right now if it weren't for their grocery delivery service. Okay not really. But wow...so helpful being able to buy at least 60% of my groceries (everything but produce and cheese which we buy at the local organic food co-op) online and have them delivered once a week.

Sleeping is...not restful. Chloe sleeps for about 4 hours at some point every night, usually between midnight and 4am, but then after that she grunts and fusses for about two hours every morning, which usually puts me out on the couch trying to keep her from waking up DH and DD. And then it's up around 8 or so to make juice and breakfast and pack DH's lunch. Today I had the rare treat of going back to bed after he left (DD1 was still sleeping - hallelujah!) and we slept until almost 1pm!! I cannot believe we slept in that long. But now I'm tired again and it's only 5:45.

Emotionally I think I'm fine...haven't been weepy. But I have noticed myself getting a little short w/ DH sometimes. I hate when I get like that. I'm afraid I sound a bit like Kate Gosselin and I am SO not that kind of woman. But we're all sleep deprived right now, it will get better I think when we're sleeping more.

Chloe is doing well, she's so chubby! No rashes aside from the one from the CD's that went away quickly. So far, she doesn't seem to be really sensitive to my diet which is nice (waiting for the other shoe to drop...) since DD1 had me on a chicken and rice diet from 3 weeks to three months.

Nursing is going well, but my boobs are so sore! I think I need to get a new nursing bra since I've been wearing one w/ underwire from last time and my boobs are bigger now...has anyone else tried the Bravado body silk seamless bra? I have their original and I hate it. It just doesn't feel like enough support and it makes my boobs look ugly. Any recommendations for a bra for 36D that won't create a uniboob or coneboob (think pointy like Madonna)...that doesn't have underwire?

Oh and Sarah - I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Moby. I would be certifiable (insane) at this point without it. Chloe wants to be held a LOT and many days it's the only way I can get anything done. Somehow all the cuddliness that my DD1 didn't have all got funneled into #2. She's a big snuggler.

#10 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJane View Post
Alicia--I have to cut out dairy too. Maybe chocolate as well. Miriam was throwing up and getting a rash all over. Stopping dairy fixed it. I'm really bummed. I was hoping that by doing/not doing all the stuff I *wish* had done with her brother would prevent the allergies. For some reason, that is a little emotional for me right now.
I had to cut out dairy with DD and was dreading it this time, but seem to be ok so far. No rash. DS is gassy, but that could be anything and I haven't had much dairy. I think his poops are runnier than they should be too, but I have no idea really. Anyhow, I read somewhere when I was looking into info on dairy allergies that something like 98% of children outgrow their dairy allergies by the age of 2.

We joined the sleep-deprived tribe today. DS was up every 1-1.5 hours last night to nurse. Usually he sleeps 3-4 hours at a stretch, day and night. I hope it doesn't continue tonight!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#11 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 PM

AJ slept with us in the bed last night...Laid him in his bassinet..Climbed into bed, pulled the covers up...He starts pouting and fussing. : So I went and picked him up and was just going to sit in bed, but decided to lay down instead. Baby was on the outside of the bed with my arm over him, and Sweetie laid with his arm draped over me and AJ..He slept from 1:30am till close to 7. : Going to try the bassinet again tonight, but at least I know we all 3 can manage in our bed, so I won't have to go into the guest room. It kills me not being next to Sweetie.

I'm still crying at least twice per day...From aggrivation, or stress, or just crying for the sake of crying.

Sweetie really P-ed me off today. Started whining that he is running out of socks and white t-shirts. SO DO SOME F-ING LAUNDRY!!!!!!!!!!: I told him I can't do it all.
#12 of 171 Old 06-08-2009, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Anyhow, I read somewhere when I was looking into info on dairy allergies that something like 98% of children outgrow their dairy allergies by the age of 2.
!
Oh boy...so I may need to keep this up for a while? I hope I can do it. Is there any worth in trying some dairy to see if it's mainly milk? I considered, in a few days, trying yogurt or sour cream or something to see what that does. How do you also know when to try a certain food again? I'd imagine I should at least wait until the yeast rash is completely gone before testing some foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post
Sleeping is...not restful. Chloe sleeps for about 4 hours at some point every night, usually between midnight and 4am, but then after that she grunts and fusses for about two hours every morning, which usually puts me out on the couch trying to keep her from waking up DH and DD.
That is what Ezra was doing for a few days before I stopped dairy. The mornings were rough. Does she fight sleeping and eating much?

#13 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 01:32 AM

I'm feeling darn lucky right now! My little one sleeps so well. She usually wakes up just once a night to nurse.

Lissa - I'm sorry. I wish I could help somehow.

I took Theresa to get her pictures today. She was such an angel, and we got some really cute pictures. The girl who took the pictures was so sweet and patient.
#14 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 02:18 AM

Hmmm ... my LO is also doing the grunting and fussing thing in her sleep. We finally put her in the crib last night so we could get some sleep. DH is back to work tomorrow and insisted she be in the crib instead of the bassinet tonight. I know it's a reasonable request, but I'm still having a hard time with it. I worry about this girl way too much, and she just looks so lost in her crib. She doesn't seem to mind it at all, though, thankfully. And I'm really going to miss having DH available to help out full time. I'm getting much better in the emotion department over all, but I had a momentary break down over all that tonight. Poor DH.

I am thinking about trying the dairy elimination thing too, just in case that is an issue for her. She is just not a happy baby most of the time, and she is pretty gassy. We have started giving her gas drops, and now she's much less gassy, but not really happier. Fortunately she sleeps well, despite the noises she makes. I'm not really seeing any other indication that she could have dairy issues. She loves eating (a little too much--when she realizes it's almost time, she starts waving her hands around in front of her mouth and getting really excited, which is super cute--but it means she can't latch on because her hands are in the way, and then she starts getting mad. Sigh.) And no rashes or anything like that. It's so hard to watch my baby cry so much though and not be able to do much about it. It's also beginning to be a challenge to hear helpful suggestions like "is she hungry?". I may be new to this, but I'm not that new! Last night, her crying apparently meant that she wanted to be held at a 45 degree angle, rocked horizontally, and have my forefinger in her mouth--or at least that's what finally made her happy. Any time I stopped any of the above, things deteriorated. If someone could interpret that for me, now that would be helpful.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. I'm waiting for her to wake up for one more nursing session before I call it a night.
#15 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 08:01 AM

Lissa. I imagine that is really rough. I hope your memory fills itself back in.

G is getting crankier at night now. He still sleeps through the night other than waking to nurse, BUT he's cranky for a while before going to sleep and I have to rock him, walk him or lay with him on my chest with a paci in his mouth bouncing him.

Thinking of everyone having a hard time.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#16 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 AM

lissa-so sorry about your memory loss. It is hard to process an event you can't remember.

CD-I may try them again when DD is a little older, after our schedule gets more manageable. I cought a couple of pees yesterday, but have not been trying to catch very often.

DD is sick now and her breathing sounds terrible when she is sleeping. She does better when she is upright, so we mostly put her in the bouncy chair to sleep. I sucked a bunch of brown snot out of her nose this morning, she did not like that. Of course DS brought the cold home and continued to kiss DD on the mouth even though we tried to stop him.:

We create our own reality.
#17 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
I'm feeling darn lucky right now! My little one sleeps so well. She usually wakes up just once a night to nurse.
Same here He even slept 6 hours Fri and 7 on Sat!! I'm not expecting it to continue (and hasn't but does 4-5 usually) and attribute a lot to his size.

#18 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=Quate;13906068] Last night, her crying apparently meant that she wanted to be held at a 45 degree angle, rocked horizontally, and have my forefinger in her mouth--or at least that's what finally made her happy. Any time I stopped any of the above, things deteriorated. If someone could interpret that for me, now that would be helpful.QUOTE]

I spent 45 mins last night bouncing AJ on my legs singing "trotty trotty horsey up and down the hill"..Anyone else know that song, or is my family weird? LOL He would scream till he choked otherwise.
#19 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Lissa

We have our witching hour starting around 7 or so after dinner. I'll nurse her until she doesn't want to anymore, then swaddle her and give her a pacifier and prop her up on my shoulder. She normally fusses for a while and goes to sleep. I'm actively trying to not engage in activities to stop the crying that will end up keeping her awake. I got into that cycle with DS and it would always make him more cranky because he couldn't go to sleep with all the bouncing and shushing, and I think it programmed him to be a lot more difficult to sooth. So now I just try to focus on a calming, soothing environment for her that is conducive to sleep and it really seems to be working.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#20 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Lissa. Sounds like my experience with ds1. I had to have general too. I at least have a bunch of pictures that filled in the blanks for me. But the first day or two was an absolute blur. I am so sorry that you are going through these emotions right now.

Alicia- hope you get the intolerances and the yeast fixed Alicia!! Sounds like a difficult process!

Quate- we have major grunting in the morning too. I usually get out of bed and go downstairs and then he falls back asleep within a half hour. Since my dh and ds are still sleeping I wish I could go back to bed, but inevitably ds will wake up as soon as I get up there. Hope it gets better!!

cmoma- that sounds like a find way to do the cloth diapers, although they hold poop better (and keeps it off the cover) if you fold and snappi. I have good luck with the bikini twist and the jellyroll. But sometimes I just lay the dipe in too.

Wow, wish we had safeway here! I would love to get a grocery delivery!!

Griffin is really cute. He likes to focus in on his hand all cross eyed. He watches it move around. I just love these little milestones!

ugh. ds1 is sick and clingy so I have to go. can't type one armed anymore!!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#21 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 PM

nak

We're doing well here. I think Olivia might have some sensitivities to perfume and stuff. Every time my stepmom has come over and held her, she absolutely freaks out for over an hour after. She gets all rigid and nothing soothes her. Stepmom just bathes in yucky perfume, so I'm going to have to ask her not to wear it around DD any more. Our relationship isnt great and i dont trust her with DD anyway, so that'll be a fun conversation

We arent cd-ing yet. We'll start soon, I'm still adjusting to everything else.

Sleeping is going okay, she actually slept great last night.

Olivia's cord fell off already. So I guess that's more motivation to start cd! She's great at focusing on my face already, and holds her head up really well. I'm such a proud mama

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#22 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 PM

I'm on the third week of dairy elimination now and nothing. No change, still fussy/gassy. I think it's just something he needs to grow out of. I'm definitely having ice cream for my birthday. Last night was ROUGH. I think I'm going to try letting him sleep on his stomach in the bassinet. I'm out of ideas. He hates the pacifier, I've tried swaddled and unswaddled, on his side sleeping and back sleeping, white noise, dead quiet, music, sleeping in bed with me,etc. nothing makes a difference. He's much worse about sleep than his brother was and I thought he was bad! I've got him napping in the bassinet now, I'm in the bed next to him with the laptop and he's keeping his head to the side and sleeping very soundly. I think it's worth a try. My mother swears we all slept on our stomachs and turned out just fine.

#23 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 03:27 PM

Lissa--: With my first, I didn't have general, but they gave me some huge dose of morphine as soon as DS was "born". I was dopey for hours/all day. I don't really remember when I first held DS, barely remember seeing him for the first time, etc. It sucks. If I'm thankful for anything about my rcs this time it's that aspect of it: the staff and my doula were very respectful of me and the fact that this was MY "birth", etc. They made sure I saw him right away, let/encouraged DH to take pics, had DH bring DS2 to me so I could see/touch him, etc.
I'm sorry your experience is so Swiss cheesy.

I'm blessed that DS2 is a pretty good sleeper, BUT, I'm exhausted today cuz he didn't go down for the night until after 11:30 last night. He slept SO MUCH during the day yesterday that come 9, 9:30, he was ready to be awake!
So today he woke up at about 5:30 to nurse, and never really went back to sleep until 9. I say "really" cuz at one point I'd put him down in the bassinet to pee or something, and he started to fuss so I was hurrying to get back to him and I was going to pop him in the sling to finish getting everyone ready to head out the door, but when I finally made it over to him, he'd stopped fussing and his eyes were closed. So I left him there to finish the morning prep. Well, a couple times I walked by and noticed his eyes were open, but I thought maybe they were just opening as he heard me walking by [our floors are really squeaky]; he does that thing a lot where a noise will rouse him from sleep just enough for him to open his eyes, but then they close right back up. But when I went to get him to get HIM ready to go out the door, I realized he was AWAKE, and I suspect he had been for a while. But he was just lying there, staring at a toy dangling from the canopy. I'm not sure whether to be sad that he was alone or blessed that he "entertained" himself so well for so long.

ANYWAY, I wanted to ask ya'll about nap and bedtime schedules. As I said, C sleeps A LOT. It seems like one nap just blends into another with some nursing and diaper changes breaking up the monotony, and I sometimes have to wake him for those. But he IS starting to have longer stretches of being awake [he's only 3 weeks old], and I want to try and establish "awake time" and "sleeping time". My older son has camp this week so we have to be out the door at 8:30, and I was/am hoping that this will help us all to establish a better daily waking/sleeping routine, but I dunno: DS1 is taking a nap now, something he NEVER does and DS2 has slept most of the day after being awake from 5:30 to 9:00.

Blah, blah, blah. Any thoughts/advice/personal experience?
#24 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 03:48 PM

Amy - I pretty much let the baby decide how they want to sleep. DS was a side sleeper or he liked to be stretched out on his back. He is still primarily a back sleeper. DD is definitely a belly sleeper and sleeps very well that way. I can usually lay her down that way when she's somewhat awake and she'll fall asleep that way.

Mama Rana - DD also sleeps quite a bit still, she's just over 3 weeks. She is starting to establish a routine as far as sleeping and waking that goes something like this: Wake up around 6am to nurse and go back to sleep until 7:30 or so when DS gets up. Nurse and have a bit of awake time before going back to sleep from 9-12 or so. Then she is awake until 2pm and sleeps another 3-4 hour chunk and wakes up around dinner time. She has awake time until 8-9pm and then sleeps until midnight, nurses, and goes back to sleep. It should be pretty easy at this point to encourage sleep and awake time based on what your schedule looks like during the day, will he sleep in his carseat when you're out and about in the morning?

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#25 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post

Griffin is really cute. He likes to focus in on his hand all cross eyed. He watches it move around. I just love these little milestones!
Aww that is so cute.

I had a sandwich at Panera on asiago foccacia (sp) and will see if Ezra has a problem with that tomorrow

amydoula, so sorry that there hasn't been an improvement with dairy Enjoy your ice cream!! I agree with trying tummy sleeping and seeing how he likes it, we do that if Ezra keeps stirring awake on his side or back.

mama rana, I think that is great what your babe did in his bassinet being content awake and also falling in and out of sleep w/o crying. Re routines, perhaps try to stimulate him more when he is awake? Take him outside and walk around? Re: sleeping for us, Ezra has shorter naps than KatieJD's girl. He typically eats, is awake a half hour to an hour after that, shows tired signs, so I nurse a little more and he goes to sleep for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, eats, repeat. He seems to really be getting the hang of eating around 9:45 or 10pm for bedtime and our routine is simply nursing in our bedroom with very dim lights, singing a Psalm to him when he's out, and putting him down, and he stays down for 4 hours usually, sometimes more.

#26 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
will he sleep in his carseat when you're out and about in the morning?
Definitely. That was part of the issue yesterday: I was out & about all morning and part of the afternoon. He slept thru it all, plus some.

And it turns out ds1 isn't just tired from the new routine: he's running a fever of 102.1 [according to that ear therm] and says his tummy hurts. Oy. No swim lesson this afternoon [and it was the last one of the session], and probably no camp tomorrow [and it was "water day", and he was looking forward to it ]. *sigh* I hope he doesn't start throwing up.
#27 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rana View Post
Definitely. That was part of the issue yesterday: I was out & about all morning and part of the afternoon. He slept thru it all, plus some.

And it turns out ds1 isn't just tired from the new routine: he's running a fever of 102.1 [according to that ear therm] and says his tummy hurts. Oy. No swim lesson this afternoon [and it was the last one of the session], and probably no camp tomorrow [and it was "water day", and he was looking forward to it ]. *sigh* I hope he doesn't start throwing up.
Hmm, DD will normally stay awake in her carseat and look around. I'm trying to think if there is some way to maybe keep his attention while he's back there, like a seat mirror or toy or something to stare at?

I hope ds1 gets well soon.

#28 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Amy - I pretty much let the baby decide how they want to sleep. DS was a side sleeper or he liked to be stretched out on his back. He is still primarily a back sleeper. DD is definitely a belly sleeper and sleeps very well that way. I can usually lay her down that way when she's somewhat awake and she'll fall asleep that way.
he just took the most awesome nap on his tummy! I think we might be onto something here, I'll report back in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

amydoula, so sorry that there hasn't been an improvement with dairy Enjoy your ice cream!! I agree with trying tummy sleeping and seeing how he likes it, we do that if Ezra keeps stirring awake on his side or back.
This makes me feel better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rana View Post

We're dealing with our first cold in the house here, so hoping the baby doesn't get it. Feel better to your ds!

#29 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amydoula View Post
he just took the most awesome nap on his tummy! I think we might be onto something here, I'll report back in the morning
Yay!! I just laid Ezra down on his tummy for a nap...

#30 of 171 Old 06-09-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Hmm, DD will normally stay awake in her carseat and look around. I'm trying to think if there is some way to maybe keep his attention while he's back there, like a seat mirror or toy or something to stare at?

I hope ds1 gets well soon.
Typically if he's awake and in his car seat he's screaming: he hates it. But usually he falls right to sleep. I have a mirror there so that I can see him. Not sure what if anything he can see in it.... Hmmm, I do have a toy that can hang from the carry handle: is it safe to leave that up while driving?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page