PP Chat Thead - June 17-23 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...did I not think there would be ramifications to drinking some of an energy drink and nursing Maggie an hour later...... The WORST night of my life. I am surprisingly awake right now, although slightly emotional and sorta teetering on the edge of insanity.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 10:45 AM

nak

hehe I just commented on the energy drink thing on facebook! I had one and it made Olivia unbelievably fussy! Poor thing... I figured it wouldnt be any worse than caffeine in a soda, which doesnt seem to affect her... boy was I wrong.

I'll be 3 weeks pp tomorrow, and still feeling super frustrated about clothes. I dont have the greatest metabolism, and have to work hard to stay in shape the way I would like. I know its gonna take some serious work and motivation on my part to get back there. At least my appetite has subsided since giving birth.

Fussy periods, Olivia has them but luckily they are mostly in the afternoon or early evening.

PP bleeding - comes and goes for me. Just when I think it might be stopping, it picks back up. Blah.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#63 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
...did I not think there would be ramifications to drinking some of an energy drink and nursing Maggie an hour later...... The WORST night of my life. I am surprisingly awake right now, although slightly emotional and sorta teetering on the edge of insanity.
Yeah, I had a Coke the other day and wanted to rip my eyeballs out when AJ started freaking out. He does this shrieking cry that kills my head. I swear it vibrates off the walls.

Sweetie got whiney this morning when I asked him to get up with AJ at 7:30 so I could have just ONE more hour of sleep. I told him I'd be glad to go to work and he can stay at home and be "mom"..I told him while I couldn't take a nap at work (like I get one anyways...lol AJ decided sleep is not important.), there are no crying babies, and I'm pretty sure if anyone wanted me to hold them on my lap, that would be a sexual harassment case. We work in a call center, and the customers who call are annoying, but I can turn the volume down on the phone...lol
#64 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 11:46 AM

Hi ladies! I haven't been in this thread much. Anyone doing anything fun this weekend? I can't believe how big all our babies are getting!

DH and I went shopping yesterday and got clothes at Old Navy. I got some jeans that fit now, hopefully they will be too big soon. I fed Ezra in the fitting room then DH took him while I tried on clothes. It worked out well!

What I thought was thrush is not, pedi said the white dots on the roof of his mouth are normal and will go away. Also, got a great cream compounded for the rash, and tried the nystatin cream again and his rash is SO SO much better, better than ANY improvement from the last 5+ weeks. I am so happy. ::: The natural stuff just didn't cut it this time (TTO, oregano oil, GSE). I'm still working on probiotics and digestive enzymes in me, and probiotics in Ezra and will keep that up.

I plan to call my breastfeeding contact about a couple questions. Ezra must still be in a growth spurt b/c he only eats a little but eats more often. Will he get out of that eventually? He takes more from a bottle...do most babies drink more volume from a bottle? (breastmilk). He only feeds on one side now, for 4-6 min, MAYBE 10 every now and then and often cries if I lay him down to offer more. But he took some from a bottle. I know I can't force him to eat more but do I just ride it out? I'm thinking of our trip to Seattle next week (job interview!) and am wondering how we're going to handle with eating almost every hour during the day when we'll be driving places, sightseeing, having meetings, etc. He was 7 weeks on Thursday.

ETA: actually, it's more like every two hours, but sometimes every hour that he eats. sometimes his naps are short (half hour) sometimes long (1.5-2 hours).

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#65 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Nursing fussiness still abounds here but last night I figured out that laying back and nursing for a minute and then sitting back up seems to work and she will stay latched on without pulling off. So Im wondering if I have overactive fast let down?

Yay Alicia Im so glad Ezras rash is finally getting better!

Jelliphish Im sorry you had such an awful night. I discovered the hard way that caffeine is off limits to me... even a soda.

Shelley, married to my wonderful DH and mama to DD (11) DD (5) and  DD (2)
#66 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not normally a coffee drinker but have been resorting to it the last few days. Its definitely leading to a lot of crying here. I didn't have any last night and she's pretty much back to being a normal baby and not crying all during her waking hours. Now I'm just wondering what I can do to give myself some quick energy. She's currently asleep on my back so I'm going to attempt folding laundry while DS is napping.

Alicia - That sounds totally normal to me, his feeding habits remind me a lot of DS. Liam was a big kid who was able to nurse very efficiently and when he was done that was it, he wasn't a comfort nurser. He has always been very attached to a pacifier though. He was really difficult to figure out because he pretty much broke all the rules that the books and Kellymom tell you about. Ezra will drink more from a bottle because it doesn't function as the breast does, even a slow-flow nipple provides quicker gratification than the breast. Also, from what I have heard babies will drink more from a bottle even if they are full because they can't pop off it like the breast and the milk flow doesn't slow like the breast. At his age he's capable of emptying the breast much more quickly as well. I wouldn't worry about how much and how often he's nursing, he sounds like he's thriving and as long as his poops and pees are good that's all you need to worry about.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#67 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 03:18 PM

Hair pulling... anyone else dealing with this? DD has a full head of pretty long hair, and recently she's been reaching up and getting her hand caught in her hair! She gets her little death grip going on and then scares herself because it hurts! She's only done it hard enough to make herself cry once, since then i keep an eye on her.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#68 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
I'm thinking of our trip to Seattle next week
hey i'm going to seattle next week too my niece's bday is on friday

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#69 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Alicia - That sounds totally normal to me, his feeding habits remind me a lot of DS. Liam was a big kid who was able to nurse very efficiently and when he was done that was it, he wasn't a comfort nurser. He has always been very attached to a pacifier though. He was really difficult to figure out because he pretty much broke all the rules that the books and Kellymom tell you about. Ezra will drink more from a bottle because it doesn't function as the breast does, even a slow-flow nipple provides quicker gratification than the breast. Also, from what I have heard babies will drink more from a bottle even if they are full because they can't pop off it like the breast and the milk flow doesn't slow like the breast. At his age he's capable of emptying the breast much more quickly as well. I wouldn't worry about how much and how often he's nursing, he sounds like he's thriving and as long as his poops and pees are good that's all you need to worry about.
Thanks, that is helpful. Makes sense about the bottle with not popping off with how you explained it.

I was just out at the store, and he had a short nap so DH gave him a bottle. He was still restless when he went back down for a nap when I got back, so I offered nursing and he nursed/napped for 40 min , little nibbles after initial drinking.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#70 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_p_i View Post
Hair pulling... anyone else dealing with this? DD has a full head of pretty long hair, and recently she's been reaching up and getting her hand caught in her hair! She gets her little death grip going on and then scares herself because it hurts! She's only done it hard enough to make herself cry once, since then i keep an eye on her.
not so much hair pulling, but he grabs his face and pinches...And his nails are short, but very sharp. I've tried filing them down to soften them, but it's no use. He's Freddy Krueger. Poor guy has scratches on his cheeks. I've been dressing him in the long sleeve shirts with the foldover mittens to keep him from gouging himself till I figure out what to do. I'm tempted to wrap his fingers in cotton and tape..lol
#71 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post
not so much hair pulling, but he grabs his face and pinches...And his nails are short, but very sharp. I've tried filing them down to soften them, but it's no use. He's Freddy Krueger. Poor guy has scratches on his cheeks. I've been dressing him in the long sleeve shirts with the foldover mittens to keep him from gouging himself till I figure out what to do. I'm tempted to wrap his fingers in cotton and tape..lol
nak

We have this problem too! she lives in baby mittens and today is the first day

i let her run free without them. I filed her nails this morning ti try to help. So far so no major scratches!

#72 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 06:38 PM

I'm filing Ky's fingernails every second day to try to deal with this. If I don't, his face is full of scratches. He also tends to scratch his eyes when feeding, which freaks me out!

Our big problem at the moment is trying to get Ky to open his jaw more when latching on. We can only get a comfortable latch if DH helps by putting a finger below his lip to open his mouth more, but he'll have to go back to work soon so I've got to figure out how to do it myself.

Also having problems feeding on the left side. No matter how we do it, it's always so painful. I dread having to feed on that side, and the pain makes BFing such a miserable experience. Technically we're doing everything correct, and I've had my MWs watch and help.

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
#73 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustGirl View Post
Our big problem at the moment is trying to get Ky to open his jaw more when latching on. We can only get a comfortable latch if DH helps by putting a finger below his lip to open his mouth more, but he'll have to go back to work soon so I've got to figure out how to do it myself.

Also having problems feeding on the left side. No matter how we do it, it's always so painful. I dread having to feed on that side, and the pain makes BFing such a miserable experience. Technically we're doing everything correct, and I've had my MWs watch and help.
I'm sorry you've had pain with that side Is it less painful to pump? I wonder if giving it a break would help, as well as airing it out for a while each day? That helped the nipple pain I had in my left side where I'd wince during nursing. That and Lanisoh helped. You know, sometimes Ezra is pretty lazy with opening his mouth unless he's super hungry. Kellymom says not to push the lower jaw down but I'm not sure why. I do it sometimes.

So I haven't cooked anything special lately, and I love to cook, so tomorrow for Father's Day I'm making Thai Burgers, the winnner of the 05 Build a Better Burger Contest, and they are a.w.e.s.o.m.e. An explosion of flavor, for real. So I've cooked and enjoyed the food prep...but no shower today and it's humid!!

I had ranch dressing and a little cheese last night and it doesn't appear to have affected Ezra at all today. I've been taking digestive enzymes and probiotics. I wonder if the dairy problem was closely related to his rash?

Too funny about the hair pulling and pinching!!! Ezra sometimes grabs my hair. In fact, I tried him in the high back carry with the mei tei last week, and he was crying and holding like heck onto my pony tail. I guess he didn't feel very secure in it. He grabs his face but there haven't been scratches for some time.

#74 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_p_i View Post
I know...isn't it sad. Maggie does this too

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#75 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
So I haven't cooked anything special lately, and I love to cook, so tomorrow for Father's Day I'm making Thai Burgers, the winnner of the 05 Build a Better Burger Contest, and they are a.w.e.s.o.m.e. An explosion of flavor, for real.
You can't post something like that and not include a recipe!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#76 of 170 Old 06-20-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
You can't post something like that and not include a recipe!
Here it is! This recipe won the creator $50,000!

http://www.buildabetterburger.com/wi...ot_thai_burger

Video about it:
http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=...c-df26facecc80

#77 of 170 Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 AM

It's crazy here. Sorry for being MIA. The kids little league season just got over except DS#2 has a big end of season party tonight at the rec. They rented it out for three hours. Oy. No way am I getting in a bathing suit so DH is taking the two bigs in the big pool and I'm watching the middle two in the kiddie pool while keeping babe in sling with me.

We also have company visiting from out of state this week and the boys have baseball camp Mon-Thurs.

Baby G is growing well. He's over 9lbs now, up 2 1/2 lbs from the time we left the hospital. He eats like crazy and is generally a very happy and content baby, thankfully. I've started pumping every morning when I get up b/c I was told that's when the supply is the strongest. I'm getting 2-3 ounces within about that amount of minutes. I think I'm going back to work on the 11th, but not positive, yet. I only work 1 day a week so getting a huge supply isn't too worrisome right now, but I'd still like to get enough pumped so I'm not stressed about DH possibly running out while I'm at work (though he could easily meet me on the route so I can stop and nurse him, but I'd rather not if I can help it.)

I need to find those pumps that just hook in to your bra and will pump you hands free. I was considering not pumping while I'm at work, but I think I may need to since I'll be gone for 6-8 hours (it depends on how much mail we have that day). I could easily do the hands free pump while I'm driving/delivering, I think...maybe.

Okay, olders are arguing and fighting which seems to be a trend for Summer so far. *sigh* Will post more later.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#78 of 170 Old 06-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I need to find those pumps that just hook in to your bra and will pump you hands free.
I read somewhere you just cut a slit in a sports bra, a vertical slit. Smart ladies I tell you!
#79 of 170 Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 AM

Thanks! I'd seen something like that, but I'm actually looking for this Whisper Wear pump. I had forgotten the brand. It's small and portable so I could just do it for a few minutes on a lunch break or even while I'm driving/delivering. I'm allowed to take breaks, but prefer not to if I can help it b/c the less I take, the sooner I can get home to the baby.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#80 of 170 Old 06-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Asher, I got a whisperwear pump and it was terrible! This was 6 years ago and so maybe it is better now. I had a friend that got it and then hers stopped working and then I got it and mine stopped working as well. Just find out what their return policy is or if they replace parts. I remember the valve on mine broke and they wouldn't replace it.

While it worked it was pretty cool, I used it on a road trip and pumped and drove but other than that I was very disappointed. But like I said, maybe they worked out the kinks by now. I just wanted to let you know.

#81 of 170 Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 PM

Hey ladies! Hope everyone is feeling good and having fun today

DH is asleep on the couch with DD1 and DD2 watching a movie with their toothbrushes DD3 is sleeping in the swing, which means I had my first free minutes in three days to jump on and say hi. Still struggling with dairy here, but I've cut most of it out, Anna is not screaming all day now, she is just having stints, and her rash is still working its way down her body.....

Nails - I've been clipping Anna's at least once a week or poor kid bloodies up her face.

Eating/Drinking disasters - i made steak and chipotle burritos... I had never made the recipe before.... Well, if you really want your LO to poop, I can send you the recipe, if you can tolerate the burning in your mouth.... I love spicy foods..... and this was a bit much even for me... still ate it all though

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#82 of 170 Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 PM

Thank you ~ good to know on the whisper wear. Maybe I'll pass on it.

I have my 6 wk post partum appt this Thursday. A little anxious since it will be a full physical. Also because I am still having some bleeding which is concerning me. Definitely the longest that I have gone and still bleeding. *sigh* The last two days, I've had some abdomonal pain on either side so I'm hoping it's nothing bad.

#83 of 170 Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

My 6 week PP visit has yet to be scheduled. I haven't even heard from my midwife since a few days PP. The assistant has handled everything since then as usual. Not that I'm surprised, I did end up delivering my own baby after all.

Laine is having some ezcema issues on her face. I'm not doing dairy so I can't really pinpoint a potential food problem. I never dealt with this with DS's food sensitivities so I don't really know what to think. I think I'm also getting the start of a yeast infection : I guess I need to up the probiotics.

The time seems to be passing so quickly here. Next month my brother is coming to visit with his wife and daughter and then my IL's will be coming for a visit so that should make July go by super fast. Before I know it DH will be home in the fall for R&R and I am very much looking foward to it. I miss him so much and its so bittersweet to watch Laine change and grow without him. She is his clone baby for sure and a constant reminder of him every day, that is very comforting to me.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#84 of 170 Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 PM

well we went to the waterpark for fathers day today and even though my grandmother kept her OUT of the sun seriously never a ray was on her she seems to have burned a little bit on the side of her face the she wasnt sleeping on and a little on her neck roll...i've held cold breastmilk on there with a wash rag but not sure how much more comfortable i can make her

Megan-loving wife to my high school sweet heart 9.24.2005 and AP mama to my big boy biggrinbounce.gif 12.14.2006, homebirth.jpglittle sister 5.27.2009 andhomebirth.jpg baby sister 8.31.11

#85 of 170 Old 06-21-2009, 11:59 PM

Addie got a burn on her face when she was 6 days old. I felt horrible.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#86 of 170 Old 06-22-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Same with Laine, she's out of the sun when we're outside. I think the car is the culprit.

#87 of 170 Old 06-22-2009, 12:31 AM

River got a bright red burn last weekend We were at a picnic my midwives hosted. I felt horrible! It was overcast most the time we were out. He took a nap and was covered except one side of his face.

#88 of 170 Old 06-22-2009, 03:51 AM

Sorry I've been away. Struggling with nursing still. LC had/has us using a Haberman to teach Marius to suck and I'm trying to get him back to breast now. Also doing suck training exercises. I hate bottles- they take up so much time. And my pump. It's evil. On the upside there, I got larger phlanges for my pump from the LC and suddenly I'm getting a whole lot more milk from the right breast and it's actually getting EMPTIED for the first time ever.
I haven't read anything in this thread, just wanted to at least tell you all I'm still alive and so is Marius. I hope you all are well.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#89 of 170 Old 06-22-2009, 09:26 AM

For those w/ babes with sunburns, a doula friend of mine suggested arnica for baby G's face. It went away fairly quick, but started peeling this week. He was never in direct sun either so I'm not sure why that happened.

#90 of 170 Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post

I was wondering if you ladies can help me on the whole topic of thrush. I bf'd DD1 for 2.5 years and never had anything even remotely resembling thrush or any other breast infection (lucky!!). My boobs are fine right now, but I just noticed today when Chloe was crying that she has one single, solitary white spot right at the back of the roof of her mouth. It doesn't go away when she nurses...I'm worried it might be the start of thrush, especially because I've been really remiss with my sugar intake lately. Does this sound like thrush? Any tips for heading it off at the pass before it gets worse? I'm going to cut out sugar, now. But...anything else to help her? Do you know if taking Apple Cider Vinegar would help? Thanks in advance!!
My DS has one of those too at the roof of his mouth. It's looked exactly the same since he was born. I remember my daughter had several, and the doc told me they were just some kind of normal cyst, don't remember the name, but they went away on their own.

I did have thrush once with DD, when she was two, and it was all over her tongue, but not any on the roof of her mouth like that.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page