PP Chat Thead - June 17-23 - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 170 Old 06-27-2009, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post
Taking our first trip tomorrow! EEK! Going to visit the family in PA. It's a 3 hour drive. We're leaving at 8:30 pm so I need to try and time AJ's feeding schedule tomorrow so I'll feed him just before leaving, and hopefully he'll sleep till we get there. Not sure if it will work though, because he kind of does his own thing. We shall see. He doesn't sleep in the car unless he's already asleep when we leave.
Good luck!!

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 170 Old 06-27-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBoo View Post

Tummy Time: How much of it do you actually do?
MW asked me to do more beacuse DD2 not holding herself as much as she thinks she should, but honestly, it pisses DD off enough that I do not have the will to make her do her 5 minutes and then have to calm her back down after when I have to entertain DD1 with that. I had also always heard that tummy time on my chest counted, but MW said no, beacuse it wasn't on a firm flat surface. Ever heard that?
With my first the ped recommended tummy time. My son hated it so we never did it after that. I did use a sling with him often and read somewhere that was beneficial to head/neck strength. I'm not doing tummy time with number two. FWIW, my kids have had pretty good head & neck strength from the get go. I would have assumed time on your chest counted.
#153 of 170 Old 06-27-2009, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Where do you live? We're on the coast.
we're in beaverton, west of portland.

as for tummy time, tummy to tummy while i'm sitting semi reclined seems really beneficial. River always pushes up with his arms and holds his head up looking around. it has to count!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#154 of 170 Old 06-27-2009, 06:57 AM

Darcy is 8 weeks old tomorrow. She's still breastfeeding frequently - I'd say about 10-12 times per day, but is gaining weight really slowly. She didn't regain her birth weight until she was 6 weeks old and is only gaining 100g/week (which I think is about 3oz). I guess it's good that she's gaining weight at all, but I have 'issues' about my milk supply, since I suffered with low supply so badly with DS that he was actually losing weight for the first 3 months of his life. I'm already taking the maximum dose of domperidone, so her gains are about as good as they're going to get.

Tummy time: I do about 5 minutes every couple of days. Darcy isn't keen on it, although she'll tolerate it for a few minutes. I've been holding her upright under her armpits without supporting her head, and she's starting to strengthen her neck muscles so I'm not too worried.

My 2yo DS has started behaving quite aggressively towards Darcy - head butting her, yelling in her face and hitting her with toys, even when I'm right there. I'm finding it really frustrating. I think it's a case of delayed jealousy, since we had family staying with us for the first 5 weeks of Darcy's life, so it's only now since everyone's gone home that he's really experiencing having to share my attention. I hope it passes quickly. He's a spirited/explosive child at the best of times, and I don't want my DD to feel unsafe around her brother.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#155 of 170 Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 AM

Kynan is 3 weeks old today and thriving - up 500 grams in the past two weeks. I'm still experiencing a lot of nipple pain, and I'm also now on antibiotics for mastitis. I'm SO. SICK. OF. PAIN. This whole baby adventure would really be perfect if it was painfree. I can't get him to attach without pain no matter what I try. We're off to the clinic on Monday to see if a nurse can watch and tell us what I'm doing wrong.

Ky has tummy time on the loungeroom floor on his rug everyday for about 5 minutes. He really seems to like it too. He's been holding his head up and steady on his own since birth (which really surprised me!).

He also absolutely loves bathtime. I thought it would be a great idea to share a bath with him just now. Great idea until he peed in it

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
#156 of 170 Old 06-27-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustGirl View Post
This whole baby adventure would really be perfect if it was painfree.
Yes, I feel like this is one of those things no one tells you ... I expected lbor to hurt. I didn't expect breastfeeding to. I'm thankfully past the intense pain from poor latch but am _still_ hraling from it 4 weeks after I first saw the Lc. Initial latch is still almost always painful to some degree. And have started takin pain killers at night because I realizd that even though the pain is not bad at all anymore, it keeps me awake, and the last thing I need these days is to take half an hour to fall asleep. So sorry about the mastitis--I can't even imagine adding that into the mix.
#157 of 170 Old 06-27-2009, 12:19 PM

We are doing better here this week. DD has been gradually getting better behaved. We were fairly permissive with her (especially DH), so I guess it has been quite a shock to her to actually be expected to behave all of a sudden.

I think part of it is because I made an effort to spend more time one-on-one with her. We left DS with DH 3 evenings this week and took her to a kids' program at FIL's church this week, and she had a blast. We had to leave early the first night due to her not sitting still and then calling me names when I told her to sit still , but the other 2 nights she behaved great due to having already experienced how not-fun it is to leave early like that. I've been consciously trying to use more consistent discipline with her, and she has responded well to that... mostly.

I ordered 2 different parenting/ gentle discipline books this week- I know I definitely need help in this area as I haven't been too patient with her lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I had a newborn outfit I bought Addie that fit her for one week. I just bought her a 3-6m Gymboree dress from a second hand store that is so tight, it might fit for a week. I have giant mutant babies.

Me too... Eli was 15 pounds : at 7 weeks when I went for my checkup a few days ago. In other words, he weighs at 2 months what my DD weighed at 5 months, despite his being smaller at birth.

My mom was very proud of herself for finding boxes and boxes of 0-6 month stuff at a yard sale a few weeks back. I feel so bad telling her that he's already grown out of 75% of it... he's already wearing 6-9 month stuff, although he does fit into a few 3-6 month things, depending on the brand.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#158 of 170 Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 PM

Oh and a small vent, which I know really belongs on the fitness board... I weighed more at my 7-week visit than I did at my 2-wk visit. How depressing is that?!

The good thing is, I think the problem peaked at 5 weeks, and now my weight is on its way back down again, now that I am aware of the problem and am making more of an effort to eat smaller portions.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#159 of 170 Old 06-27-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Discipline for older kids - I think I was really permissive with DS as well when he was an only. Now I am learning how to discipline him and he is definitely responding to it. He's getting better at following instructions and understands that if he doesn't follow the rules we don't get to do fun things.

Breastfeeding pain - It still hurts me to nurse DS and he's almost 22 months. He has sensory issues and refuses to latch deeply because of that. I vividly remember the toe curling pain during his infancy and was so grateful to not have to go through that with DD. For those of you having pain, does your baby latch by themselves or do you latch them on? I found that with DS the pain greatly decreased if I brought him to the breast and let him latch on the way he wanted to, rather than trying to get him to latch the way I thought he was supposed to.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#160 of 170 Old 06-27-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustGirl View Post
He also absolutely loves bathtime. I thought it would be a great idea to share a bath with him just now. Great idea until he peed in it
Could have been worse We shower together for that very reason

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#161 of 170 Old 06-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Discipline= we too have been lax with DS. I am tired of having to tell him something ten times. Still working on it! He went to bed without reading tonight because he was whining. I am sooo losing patients for tantrums and whining from him. He has had tons of attention from me and other people in the past few days and he has had some really fun activities including a new dance/tumbling class today.

I am pretty sure DD has reflux. I cut out dairy a few days ago to see if that is the culprit, but since then she is way worse. I went through so many diet changes with DS i really do not want to do it again. I am thinking of going to a homeopath for her.

On a good note, we are going to try CD. WE tried with DS when he was a newborn and it was a disaster, we got really frustrated with all the leaks and the bad fit of the diapers we had. Not to mention just being overwhelmed by parenthood . So I am ordering 3-4 different kinds to see what we like.

We create our own reality.
#162 of 170 Old 06-28-2009, 03:57 AM

YAY! We just got a check for almost 2k from the insurance company for the homebirth. I kinda hope we get more, but I wasn't expecting this for a few months. Even if they refuse to cover any more of it, thats around $1200 out of pocket, and sooo worth every penny.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#163 of 170 Old 06-28-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
YAY! We just got a check for almost 2k from the insurance company for the homebirth. I kinda hope we get more, but I wasn't expecting this for a few months. Even if they refuse to cover any more of it, thats around $1200 out of pocket, and sooo worth every penny.
I'm hating my c/s more and more as the bills from the hospital come in. I really don't remember paying this much for my first c/s, but that was a different insurance company, so who knows. Oh, and I think I handed over all bill-paying to my DH after DS1 was born, so maybe I was just unaware.

Breasts still hurt. I'm so sick of thrush.
Baby more grouchy/harder to comfort. It seems to take more to get him to sleep these days [almost 6 weeks pp], and he sleeps more fitfully. Last night he was awake at least 3 times, and the last few hours of sleep were so restless. I finally realized his diaper had leaked excessively; DH said we had a Velcro fail. *sigh* Thank goo it was just wetness, not poop.

I'm trying to work out the next sizing of diaper we're going to need. DH and I are disagreeing what kind to get. I want pockets; he'd rather have prefolds and those wraps that have the little flap in front to tuck the prefold in. I have about a dozen fitteds in teh next size up. And a BUNCH of covers. So maybe prefolds and hte covers I already have are the best way to go. OTOH, someone just emailed me that she's got some pockets to sell me at $5 each.

I'm going to a memorial service for a friend tomorrow. He died unexpectedly on Thursday. I'm feeling a lot of guilt cuz I hadn't seen or talked to him in a while. And my heart aches for his wife.
#164 of 170 Old 06-28-2009, 10:56 PM

Does anyone have any gift ideas for midwives?

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#165 of 170 Old 06-28-2009, 11:10 PM

birth jewelry? http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5626191 (not my shop, but i've bought from there)

more here: http://www.wellstonejewelry.com/birthingjewelry.htm

#166 of 170 Old 06-28-2009, 11:23 PM

My appt is Tuesday, but I might buy something there for myself.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#167 of 170 Old 06-29-2009, 06:19 AM

We dropped in at the local baby clinic this morning to desperately seek help from a LC. My heart dropped when we arrived and the door said "by appointment only". The thought of having to wait one more day for help brought me to tears. Lucky for us the LC was free and more than happy to help.

She had a look and decided it's probably not mastitis and that it's rather thrush combined with having the flu. So I've now got the right treatment and the pain should start decreasing soon (I HOPE!).

Midwife gifts - I'm trying to think of something too. I had a team of 4 amazing midwives and I'd love to get them something fitting. The jewellery is a nice idea, but I might keep looking.

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
#168 of 170 Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Does anyone have any gift ideas for midwives?
I was thinking of making them a batch of fudge :-)

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#169 of 170 Old 06-29-2009, 05:50 PM

I think we need a new thread though...

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#170 of 170 Old 06-29-2009, 06:07 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1104865 new thread!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page