Embarrasingly overdue birth notice and story! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-06-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today is my first day back at work after a 13+ week maternity leave. I think I was the third in this DDC to have my baby, a very surprising 5 weeks early. On April 2, at 35 weeks, my water broke at home at 9:30 p.m. Headed to L&D and they confirmed that I was in fact leaking amniotic fluid but I wasn't dialated at all. They all confirmed that baby was head down, something I had been concerned about. Unfortunately, I also learned that I had preeclampsia. I had some bad swelling in my feet in the weeks leading up to then but no protein in the urine or high blood pressure. Because it was my first baby and I wasn't dialated at all, my OB prepared me for what she thought would be a long labor. . .said I might have the baby by dinnertime the next day. She gave me cervadil at 2 a.m. to get things going - and boy did it! The contractions were getting unbearable within two hours. Unfortunately, the magnesium sulfate they gave me for the preeclampsia made me pretty out of it, and lots of my labor is pretty foggy. I did end up having plenty of interventions - including internal fetal monitoring because baby's heart rate kept dropping - and I wasn't allowed out of bed but in the end, I dialated to 10 cm by 8 a.m. After 45 minutes of pushing, my son, Jude Aaron, was born. He weighed 4 lbs, 11 ozs. I was shocked at how small he was! I never, even during the pushing, imagined he'd be less than 5 or 5.5 lbs. We got to spend a little time with him in the labor and delivery room but then he had a few issues, including an episode of apnea in the nursery, that landed him in the NICU, where he stayed for five days. With the magnesium sulfate I wasn't allowed out of bed (or to eat!) for 24 hours after delivery so I couldn't see him during all that time. Ugh, that was so hard!

Fast forward to today - he is a healthy 13 lb. baby at 13 weeks. Breastfeeding is going great and he has no health or developmental issues. He's a smiling, laughing, babbling, happy little guy. Thanks so much to all of your for the great info during my pregnancy and congratulations on your babies!
#2 of 5 Old 07-06-2009, 02:01 PM

thanks for sharing mama I am glad it all went so well!
#3 of 5 Old 07-07-2009, 09:54 PM

Wow, you certainly went through a lot. Congratulations on his arrival, and I'm so glad to hear that he's so healthy now.

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
#4 of 5 Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 PM

congrats mama!:

Megan-loving wife to my high school sweet heart 9.24.2005 and AP mama to my big boy biggrinbounce.gif 12.14.2006, homebirth.jpglittle sister 5.27.2009 andhomebirth.jpg baby sister 8.31.11

#5 of 5 Old 07-10-2009, 02:06 PM

What a wild ride these last few months must have been for you! Congratulations mama!

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page