Chat Thread: July 27-Aug 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 07-28-2009, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Time to start a new one!

I'm loving cloth diapering! I'm starting to look at what size Ezra will need next. I plan to get GMD brown stitching most likely so I hopefully don't have to size up after that. The yellow still have some room now and we use the orange as a doubler at night. I love thirsties covers and plan to get more of those. I earn points through swag bucks and get amazon gift cards, and since we're in between jobs now, I hope to use that to get enough in gift cards to get some covers. (you use swag bucks to do your online searching and earn "bucks" which can be redeemed for gift cards).

We're driving to KS tomorrow and Wednesday so I'll likely not be in this thread at all!

Oh, Seattle is still a possibility for my DH to be a pastor. They are voting in a couple of weeks. So, we're in limbo right now and DH got a job at Pizza Hut. COBRA will be about $1400 a month : so we applied for an individual high deductible plan. Has anyone else faced changing insurance b/c of having a baby and leaving work?

How is everyone?

Also, I think we're going to be shut down soon We'll have to move over to LWAB.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#2 of 43 Old 07-28-2009, 05:37 AM

I'm in Seattle too! So if you do move, you'll "know" someone.

I just realized my arm is sore from Wii Bowling today. I only played at the request of my 2 year old. And I got 8 strikes in a row, too bad it was on his Mii and not mine.

Beauty is still doing well. Such a blessedly easy baby. She is close to 13 pounds now!

The time of being a widow to the tides is drawing to its end, thankfully! My husband is starting the trek home tomorrow and will pick us up from the airport when he gets back. I'm very pleased that the 6 weeks of widowhood was not as bad as I had anticipated. I was prepared for another colicky baby and I'm so glad to not face that one again!

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#3 of 43 Old 07-28-2009, 07:07 AM

I can never manage to keep up with these threads!

I've actually been having a really rough trot lately, and I'm hoping desperately that it's not a resurgence of the PPD I had with my son. Having a toddler and a newborn is HARD WORK! Relentlessly hard work. And I'm seriously sleep deprived. So hard work + sleep deprivation + crappy, small, no yard, no laundry, up 3 flights of stairs apartment = complete loss of patience and sense of humour.

Darcy, my LO, is doing OK. She's gaining slowly, very slowly but seems happy and cheerful most of the time, although she doesn't sleep for more than 10-15 minutes during the day which I'm finding a bit tough. Night times are OK - she sleeps from 10pm - 6am with 3-4 wakings to nurse.

Our cloth nappies are going great, and since my toddler has just toilet trained, I can use all the one-size ones he was using on Darcy now. At the moment, we're using mostly prefolds, bamboo fitteds, and hand-knitted (by yours truly) longies and soakers.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#4 of 43 Old 07-28-2009, 11:53 AM

AustGirl--I replied to you at the end of the other thread.

Peppermint-- I'm having a hard enough time with one. I still don't manage to do much more than take care of her and don't know how a person manages a toddler on top of a newborn. This transition to being a mother has been a bit of a rough one for me.
#5 of 43 Old 07-28-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
Time to start a new one!

I'm loving cloth diapering! I'm starting to look at what size Ezra will need next. I plan to get GMD brown stitching most likely so I hopefully don't have to size up after that. The yellow still have some room now and we use the orange as a doubler at night. I love thirsties covers and plan to get more of those. I earn points through swag bucks and get amazon gift cards, and since we're in between jobs now, I hope to use that to get enough in gift cards to get some covers. (you use swag bucks to do your online searching and earn "bucks" which can be redeemed for gift cards).

We're driving to KS tomorrow and Wednesday so I'll likely not be in this thread at all!

Oh, Seattle is still a possibility for my DH to be a pastor. They are voting in a couple of weeks. So, we're in limbo right now and DH got a job at Pizza Hut. COBRA will be about $1400 a month : so we applied for an individual high deductible plan. Has anyone else faced changing insurance b/c of having a baby and leaving work?

How is everyone?

Also, I think we're going to be shut down soon We'll have to move over to LWAB.
We use and love GMD prefolds and thirsties covers too! He is now in yellow edge and size small covers, sold the orange edge and the x-small covers on craigslist for only a little bit less than I bought them for! (we aren't having anymore children). Time is going by so fast! I can't believe our DDC will shut down soon, wow. It seems like the pregnancy lasted forever and now time is just flying.....
We are doing great here, evening colic finally settling down. Weight up to 12lbs7oz so almost doubled birth weight. Sleeping MUCH better at night and has moved into his crib full time as of last week. I'm getting a good 5+ hour stretch every night. Summer is just flying by!

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#6 of 43 Old 07-28-2009, 04:35 PM

I'm okay here. DS is getting two year molars and having a really difficult time. Laine isn't napping during the day for longer than 15-20 minutes, she was running a fever of 99.1 last night so not sure what that's about.

I was using GMD prefolds with Laine once I started using cloth again and she got a horrible diaper rash. Liam has never had a diaper rash from disposables or cloth so I'm not really sure what to make of it. I put her back in sposies for the time being and treated the diaper rash, I'm nervous to put her back in cloth again.

I just finished eating a giant piece of chocolate cake, if that's any indication of what kind of day I'm having

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#7 of 43 Old 07-29-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
I just finished eating a giant piece of chocolate cake, if that's any indication of what kind of day I'm having
Sounds like one that just got better

So the LC thinks that the issue is that she pulls her tongue back some of the time and ends up biting me, and also doesn't draw the nipple in far enough. So she gave me some things to try to encourage her to eat properly. We'll see what happens. The good thing is that every time I have another thing to try, it means I keep on going. And now that I know her latch actually looks good, I feel a little less frustrated about my own abilities.
#8 of 43 Old 07-29-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quate View Post
Sounds like one that just got better

So the LC thinks that the issue is that she pulls her tongue back some of the time and ends up biting me, and also doesn't draw the nipple in far enough. So she gave me some things to try to encourage her to eat properly. We'll see what happens. The good thing is that every time I have another thing to try, it means I keep on going. And now that I know her latch actually looks good, I feel a little less frustrated about my own abilities.
I'm so glad you got answers at the LC visit. I'm guessing she gave you sucking exercises to do with her? I did those with DS as well. I'm hoping things improve for you both from here on out, you can do it!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#9 of 43 Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quate View Post
So the LC thinks that the issue is that she pulls her tongue back some of the time and ends up biting me, and also doesn't draw the nipple in far enough.
Have you tried "the flipple"? I read about it in Breastfeeding Made Simple and I was so relieved because it's what I do to get my nipple further back in DD's mouth. It sort of involves putting the lower areola into baby's mouth, and then pushing the jaw down while rolling/flipping the nipple into baby's mouth with your thumb. My nipple almost flips back to touch my breast while i do it. It's really helpful for baby's who don't open up wide, and I like it because I have huge breasts but teeny tiny nipples.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#10 of 43 Old 07-29-2009, 08:36 PM

Addie is a giant. Her smiles are so amazing. I love her so much.

My son is going to be 3 next week! Times goes by so fast.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#11 of 43 Old 07-29-2009, 10:43 PM

Could a LC help Violet take a bottle better? In the past 2 days she has been doing better but before that she would take nothing from Dh. We tried a different bottle.

How many poops a day are your LOs doing? Has the consistency gotten thicker yet? DD still poops 3-4x a day and it is runny.

I think dd had a breakthrough this week with sleep and soothing herself. She found her hands weeks ago but this week really started using them to get herself to sleep. Some Naps that had been 30 min long are now 2+ hrs long! She also started sleeping a 5 hr stretch at night. I think she could probably go longer at night but she always needs a diaper change around 4 am. She I'd a super soaker! I just ordered some bamboo overnight diapers from a wahm. I cannot wait until they get here. We use mostly BG organic AIO. They are the easiest to use for dH and the babysitters.

I'd like some chocolate cake

We create our own reality.
#12 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 AM

Chocolate cake

I made it for my SIL's birthday while she was here, I still have a couple of slices left. I'm tempted to bring them to my pregnant neighbor so I don't eat them but I don't want her to think I'm trying to fatten her up either.

Nolansmum - I'd say keep trying with different bottles and nipples and see if there's one she prefers, keep trying different positions for bottle feeding that don't resemble breastfeeding also because she may be getting confused and frustrated.

Laine still poops a lot, probably because she nurses twelfty times a day. My poor boobs are like pancakes. She's up to 12.6lbs. now so the milk is doing something right, she's still my teeny tiny baby (at least to me). Its official, we're about a month out from DH getting home. I am overjoyed, I only wish the time would go by faster. I'm already thinking about how sad its going to be to say goodbye again, this time for much longer. I hate how these separations mean having to adjust to parenting together again and being partners again once he returns, it feels so awkward to me. Its like meeting somebody for the first time in a way.

#13 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Could a LC help Violet take a bottle better? In the past 2 days she has been doing better but before that she would take nothing from Dh. We tried a different bottle.
We just figured out that DS takes a bottle a whole lot better if you offer it so he can lay with his head turned to the side (like breastfeeding). If you try to feed him with his head straight he won't drink.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#14 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 11:07 AM

DH has to sit DS straight up facing outward to take his bottle, it needs to be very unlike BF for him to take it

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#15 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 PM

Bottle: We have not tried anything since we don't need too. It was way too much of a fight and stress with dd1. It the end, it took until 10 months for her to take a bottle from someone else nicely. She'd only take it from me! Go figure. I do have to stopprocrastinating and pump a little though. I'd feel better with emergency milk in the freezer.

Sorry that some of you are still going through nursing issues...

Dipes: We use infant prefolds mainly. Got fitted as well, but now that DH has figured out prefolds and snappis (thank you dd1), that is mainly waht we use, with a wool soaker on top. I only used our pockets a couple times. We are in fact going for our second camping trip of the year with cloth diapers this week-end.

Poops: P poops in average every second day. Sometimes daily and sometimes it can be 4-5 days in between.

Heat? Anyone found ways to keep them comfortable? This is driving her and I crazy! She is so hot. We give her a long bath twice a day to cool her down. But what else?

She started to coo a lot. It is the cutest thing. Her voice is quite different from what I can remember of dd1's baby voice.

Chocolate cake: I want some! To hot too bake though. Maybe I can just make the microwave one in a mug.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#16 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 01:04 PM

Yes, we have a sucking exercise to do, and we're also playing stick-out-your tongue games.

Diapers: just prefolds here. I got some Chinese and some Indian and was surprised to discover that they ended up exactly the same size after washing and drying. It wasn't how they were described. She's still fitting in her small covers fine--we didn't bother with XS since we didn't start till she was almost a month old.

Bottles: we have to make sure we give one before she gets too hungry, or it's a disaster. She gets about 1 a week. I am guessing a LC might have some good suggestions, since mine asks whether she takes it ok.

Poops: still 4x a day or so here, and still liquid, or liquidish

Cooing: adorable! I love it She sounds like a little mourning dove.
#17 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 01:17 PM

Wow, I haven't posted for a while! I miss you ladies!

My little baby has made that clicking squeak sound while nursing since she was born. She is growing fine and seems to get pleanty of milk, but I worry that its making her gassier than she needs to be because I think she's swallowing a little bit of air every time she does it. Anybody have sugguestion about how to help her stop doing that?

I'm so in love with her! I'm completely captivated by her when she does her little smile/coo/whole-body-squirm-with-delight thing! I feel bad sometimes because I'll realize dd1 is watching and I can only imagine what she's feeling when I'm totally having a love affair with "the baby". What do you ladies do for your older kiddos to show them that you still love them as much as ever?

Sadie
#18 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 PM

Katie, so happy DH is coming home to you soon.

Still can't really think straight. There are others I wanted to reply to but all I can think about is that my mom's funeral is going on right now.
Thanks for the condolences.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#19 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 03:25 PM

I am very sorry to heart that Jackie It is hard enough to go through a loss, immigration issues mixed in there are even worse.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#20 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 03:37 PM

Jacqueline, Im so sorry about your mom and the funeral that you can' t be at.

Sadie, my baby has always made that clicky squeaky noise while nursing too. She sticks her ginormous tongue out very far all the time so I don't think its a tongue tie or anything and even if I latch her on perfectly she will be doing it in a minute or so.

Im totally beat. Either we have the beginnings of an early 3 month growth spurt. (she will be 11 weeks tommorow) or the nightmare of no sleep at night is beginning. Last night she woke up every hour to nurse and then starting at 5 am every 30 minutes! I have been napping when she naps today and Im trying to nurse her a lot in the day just in case she is getting more of her nursing at night and not nursing well in the day. I hope its just a growth spurt!

Shelley, married to my wonderful DH and mama to DD (11) DD (5) and  DD (2)
#21 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingRenee View Post
Im totally beat. Either we have the beginnings of an early 3 month growth spurt. (she will be 11 weeks tommorow) or the nightmare of no sleep at night is beginning. Last night she woke up every hour to nurse and then starting at 5 am every 30 minutes! I have been napping when she naps today and Im trying to nurse her a lot in the day just in case she is getting more of her nursing at night and not nursing well in the day. I hope its just a growth spurt!
I hate to ask, but....
Didn't you have to take a couple of things out of your diet b/c of issues? Is it possible that something "snuck" in? or maybe she's reacting to something new?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#22 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 04:05 PM

Yeah I eliminated dairy. Im pretty sure I haven't accidentally had any. Ive been wondering about Soy lately though. I switched to Soy milk and I read somewhere that 50% of babies who are sensitive to dairy are also sensitive to soy. GAH! something else to give up?

Shes been fairly happy though, just sleeping like absoulte crap for the past 2 days. And she is not nursing well either, lots of pulling on and off and rooting while still attached to the breast. She does this day and night. I took this to mean that she is wanting more than I have but could it be a food sensitivity do you think? She is pretty gassy still.

Oh and she has a rash that only seems to go away with disposables but comes right back with cloth. I have stripped the diapers but am now at a loss. Any ideas on that?

#23 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Rash from diapers- what fabric are they? What kind of detergent do you use? Do you use different wipes when you cd?

We create our own reality.
#24 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 04:18 PM

Just chinese pre folds, or flannel fitted diapers that my mom made. Ive been using Purex free and Clear, and the wipes are pieces of flannel left over from the diapers. Switched to just plain water to wipe her.

#25 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah I eliminated dairy. Im pretty sure I haven't accidentally had any. Ive been wondering about Soy lately though. I switched to Soy milk and I read somewhere that 50% of babies who are sensitive to dairy are also sensitive to soy. GAH! something else to give up?

Shes been fairly happy though, just sleeping like absoulte crap for the past 2 days. And she is not nursing well either, lots of pulling on and off and rooting while still attached to the breast. She does this day and night. I took this to mean that she is wanting more than I have but could it be a food sensitivity do you think? She is pretty gassy still.

Oh and she has a rash that only seems to go away with disposables but comes right back with cloth. I have stripped the diapers but am now at a loss. Any ideas on that?
I think it could be, yes. I believe one of the ladies in the Allergies forum had similar issues with their LO which went away when she eliminated gluten (not saying it's gluten, just that it was for her).

#26 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 04:47 PM

So I just went over to the allergy forum WOW talk about overwhelming! And I was reading all the different posts and someone mentioned vitamins as being a possible source of allergens. It just occured to me that I had stopped taking my prenatals a few weeks ago because I had run out and kept forgetting to buy more and just a few days ago had gotten more and started taking them once again right before bedtime.

Could THAT have anything to do with it? I see that they are gluten free. I guess Im grasping at straws but really that is the only thing that has changed with my diet in the past few days.

#27 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 04:59 PM

cake I want some .....

cooing - DD1 insists DD3 is talking to her - its adorable!

allergies - pretty sure DD3 and DD2 are both milk and soy... really beginning to think DD2 is gluten and eggs too..... She actuallly had firm poop for two days at the end of last week, then we screwed up and she got ahold of something with egg and corn (though she's been getting traced of corn all over so I don't think its that) She went back to diarhea.... it may be cantelope though.... I don't know playing this game sucks!

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#28 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
cake I want some .....

cooing - DD1 insists DD3 is talking to her - its adorable!

allergies - pretty sure DD3 and DD2 are both milk and soy... really beginning to think DD2 is gluten and eggs too..... She actuallly had firm poop for two days at the end of last week, then we screwed up and she got ahold of something with egg and corn (though she's been getting traced of corn all over so I don't think its that) She went back to diarhea.... it may be cantelope though.... I don't know playing this game sucks!
You can have cake. If it's allergens getting in the way, let me know. We're gluten, dairy, soy, coconut, treenut, peanut and egg free (as well as berry free) so it's possible I have something that'll work. If not, you might want to check out Kathy's blog. It's searchable by allergen.
Tell me about it. Marius may end up being my first baby with eczema... though I'm not certain. It appears to be gone now (what I thought might be a dry patch). It sucks to have 2 that were reacting to things as infants b/c then you're always second guessing... "Is that eczema? Is he wheezy? Is that normal poop? Is his poop green because he's had too much foremilk today?"

#29 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
You can have cake. If it's allergens getting in the way, let me know. We're gluten, dairy, soy, coconut, treenut, peanut and egg free (as well as berry free) so it's possible I have something that'll work. If not, you might want to check out Kathy's blog. It's searchable by allergen.
Tell me about it. Marius may end up being my first baby with eczema... though I'm not certain. It appears to be gone now (what I thought might be a dry patch). It sucks to have 2 that were reacting to things as infants b/c then you're always second guessing... "Is that eczema? Is he wheezy? Is that normal poop? Is his poop green because he's had too much foremilk today?"
I've been sorting through all those cake recipes from the allergen forum, the next two days are going to be full of me playing trial and error, DD1's 3rd birthday is monday so I have to make cakes for two parties that don't taste allergen free. I think I'm still missing an allergen for DD3 cause her poop is too dark, more orange than yellow, and not seedy at all. But maybe I'm just paranoid.........

I'm happy to say none of mine appear to have nut problems! One of the few things we can actually eat

If my first few attempts baking are bad I'll pm you begging for help

I guess I'll go start baking right now actually, since they are all asleep.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#30 of 43 Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Mine did this for a bit when she just wanted to suck obsessively. We gave her a paci for a day and she was fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page