Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
girls names:
Zora Belle
Violet Anne

boys name:
Jasper Carl

my great-great grandmother's name was Belle Zora. Zora means dawn, and belle means beautiful, which i think is great. i just worry about how much it sounds like Zoro... but Zora Belle is DH's favorite. i wanted to keep a flower name in there, because DD's name is Ella Rose... DH thinks belle works because of bluebells, but i think it's a stretch!
i love Violet Ann (ann is my MIL's middle name)

Jasper is our favorite boy's name by far, and Carl is DH's middle name
#32 of 58 Old 09-27-2008, 09:11 PM

:

Still in the very early stages... We had one boy and one girl named picked and didn't think we'd need another.

I'm keen on post-11th century British monarchs.

Henry (Harry)
Charles (Charlie)
Elizabeth (Lizzie, like Ms. Bennet, sigh)

But, whoever first said 'Scarlet' made me remember that I loved the name India, which I first read in Gone with the Wind.
#33 of 58 Old 09-27-2008, 09:19 PM

For I girl I really like Tristan Reese. We love Reese, but it works best for a middle name. We also like Avery, Kenley, Isabella, & a couple others are on our list that are slipping my mind. Quinn is another that may be a middle name for a girl. Oh, I love Finley but DH hates it.

For boys, my favorite is Corbin. We also like Joel & Micah, but have more work to do for those.

It's funny, with DS we couldn't think of a single girl name, only boy names. Now boy names are so much trouble & we just talk girl names. So maybe it's fate. lol
#34 of 58 Old 09-28-2008, 01:05 AM

Is there a place on the Internet where you can type in a name and get sibling names that are appropriate (i.e. in the same ballpark)?

Teacher, Mother of 4
#35 of 58 Old 09-28-2008, 08:51 AM

http://www.nymbler.com will give you suggestions based on a name you type in!

InfiJess- one of my good friends has a Cailen and my first thought was girly too. But I'm used to it now

Ugh, Dh and I got into it about Griffin so thats off the list now. He is still pushing the name Dresden. I think its a good strong manly name BUT its too hard for a baby, especially with the connotation of the fires of Dresden (and there is a dumpy town in maine called Dresden)

I really hope this is a girl!! Although the other day my aunt toldme she doesn't like Clover. So no one will be totally happy!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#36 of 58 Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 AM

Man that web site did not work for me at all.

There was a book that did the same thing, and I actually like the suggestions.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#37 of 58 Old 09-28-2008, 12:27 PM

I think we decided last night that if it is a boy he will be River and if it is a girl she will be Rivers. We had been arguing over the boy name river or rivers forever, and if Janelle hadn't been so set on naming her brother Travis he would of been one or the other... I finally asked last night if there was any reason a girl couldn't be River as well... I like River, DH likes Rivers, so that's how we decided.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#38 of 58 Old 09-28-2008, 01:02 PM

Abigail
Evelyn
Isabelle
Sophia
Moira

Ethan
Jacob
William
Logan
Braedon

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#39 of 58 Old 09-28-2008, 01:33 PM

ooh how fun! full heart, i have a cousin named autumn rose, it's lovely.
my husband and i have a very hard time agreeing on names lol but so far we have:

girl-
eva or eve
gypsy
molly
shirley (after his grandma)

boy-
felix
jack
charlie
judah
keillor sage
henry david
#40 of 58 Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Alright, we have ours picked now. I didn't think we'd agree on a girls name at all. hehe

Boy will be Griffin Davis.
Girl will be Kamryn Elise.

Doesn't matter, though b/c it's a boy.

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#41 of 58 Old 09-28-2008, 08:48 PM

yay, name thread! For a girl this time we'll probably go with Siobhan Harper. If it's a boy we're torn between Tadg William and Atticus Henry.
#42 of 58 Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 PM

Coming up from the depths but I just had this gut feeling about the name Colton for this LO so as of now I am not sure if I should think boy.

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
#43 of 58 Old 10-19-2008, 10:21 PM

I think we are settled on a boy and girl name, but we're not telling a soul, even internet friends :

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#44 of 58 Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 AM

I'm really loving Cassidy for a girl... the boy names are more difficult, we can't seem to agree (I love Aiden, he hates it, sigh).

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#45 of 58 Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianthistle View Post
OKay, so the "girl names" thread made me think that we should have a thread about possible names for our wee ones.

Here is a list of each that I might consider:

Girl Names:
Ida
Isona (a made-up family name)
Isis
Io
Stella
Beatrix
Adra
Adeline/Adelaide (I would NOT call her Addie...)
Nesta
Khalsa
Aurelia
Andromeda

Personally, I'm partial to Isis, but that's just me
#46 of 58 Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Wel my Dh and I can not agree on any names! I have a very short girls list and no boys names yet.
Girls:
Rowan
Emerson
Stella
Penelope
Sadie
Marguerite (my grandmothers name)
Iris
Rosa

Sarah-DS 4/03, DD7/06, DS 5/09
#47 of 58 Old 10-20-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla983 View Post
For I girl I really like Tristan Reese. We love Reese, but it works best for a middle name. We also like Avery, Kenley, Isabella, & a couple others are on our list that are slipping my mind. Quinn is another that may be a middle name for a girl. Oh, I love Finley but DH hates it.

For boys, my favorite is Corbin. We also like Joel & Micah, but have more work to do for those.

It's funny, with DS we couldn't think of a single girl name, only boy names. Now boy names are so much trouble & we just talk girl names. So maybe it's fate. lol
One of my BFFs growing up had Quinn as a middle name. Cory Quinn. She's a very artsy, creative, and unique person. Not to mention hilarious.
#48 of 58 Old 10-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
I think we are settled on a boy and girl name, but we're not telling a soul, even internet friends :
HAHAHA! We're doing the same thing! My BFF said that they do that too because inevitably someone will know a kid from school that had that name that was mean, rude, jerky, whatever and then dis the name or someone will say "eww, why would you pick that name? It's ugly." Where as once he or she is born and you say the name is _______ they really can't say anything because it's done and over with! Complaining won't get them anywhere at that point.
#49 of 58 Old 10-20-2008, 03:39 PM

Here are the names I like....as for my hubby, we'll see.

Girls:
Anna
Grace
Dayne
Isabel

Boys:
Finn
Oliver
Charlie
Owen
#50 of 58 Old 10-20-2008, 04:30 PM

For a girl I think it's going to be: Clara Juniper

I'm pretty sure we have our girl name all decided. I picked the first name and DH picked the middle. We had DS's name picked out early on and didn't have any girl names but this time we're the opposite. We're stumped for boy names and have an ever-changing list. So far we have:

Tobin
Tobias
Noam (but too similar to Liam I think)
Jonah
Nolan

And probably a million others I can't think of right now

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#51 of 58 Old 10-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukedwifey View Post
HAHAHA! We're doing the same thing! My BFF said that they do that too because inevitably someone will know a kid from school that had that name that was mean, rude, jerky, whatever and then dis the name or someone will say "eww, why would you pick that name? It's ugly." Where as once he or she is born and you say the name is _______ they really can't say anything because it's done and over with! Complaining won't get them anywhere at that point.
haha, true! Thankfully, as far as family goes, my mom understands and respects our decision to keep quiet. She knows I've grown up from some of the kooky names I came up with as a teen, lol.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#52 of 58 Old 10-20-2008, 05:10 PM

So far my top choices are Anna for a girl and Micah for a boy. I'm leaning towards family name for a middle name--I think Rose for a girl, for a boy probably Robert, Andrew, or Glenn. I'm also thinking of a second Chinese middle name but have not decided if that will be official or not--presumably it will depend on DH's opinion, really.

Mei mei--I don't know if you are following this thread, but we are also trying to limit the list to names that won't be completely mangled by Chinese speakers. Which, depending how much mangling you're willing to put up with, is quite a challenge. (To add to the fun, I suppose we could try to come up with a Chinese name that won't be mangled by English speakers.)
#53 of 58 Old 10-21-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quate View Post
Mei mei--I don't know if you are following this thread, but we are also trying to limit the list to names that won't be completely mangled by Chinese speakers. Which, depending how much mangling you're willing to put up with, is quite a challenge. (To add to the fun, I suppose we could try to come up with a Chinese name that won't be mangled by English speakers.)
I'm still here! It's hard because I tend to like elaborate names anyway. I think at this point as long as Aaron (BF) can pronounce it and it at least lends itself to an easier nickname, I'm ok with it. Our little one will also get a Chinese name, so people here in Shanghai will probably just use that, if the English name I love is too hard. It will be much easier for a Chinese speaker to pronounce an English name correctly than vice versa.

I don't know how much you know about naming in Chinese, but there are no set 'names'. There are characters that are often used as parts of names, but each family will pick their own characters to be unique to their child. Occasionally 2 people will end up with the same combination of characters, but thats not common. Here is an interesting article about naming in Chinese and what gender each character represents. http://www.absolutelyfengshui.com/na...girl-names.php

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions or need any ideas. I live in China, afterall, and would be glad to help. I love etymology as well (study of names).
#54 of 58 Old 10-21-2008, 10:17 AM

DH and I have decided that we HAVE TO have a boy b/c we cannot agree on any girls names. Just when we thought we had one that we liked, we decided we didn't. Argh!

Wife to 1~Mom to 5 ages brand new to 12~Rural Mail Carrier~Keeper of 2 dogs, 1 cat & a flock of chickens :
#55 of 58 Old 10-21-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei Mei View Post
I]Here is an interesting article about naming in Chinese and what gender each character represents.
Interesting article. I wonder to what degree people follow the "sound associates with gender" principle. Obviously not 100% since I know a Liming and a Mingdao (both male) and a Huilin (female)--but most Chinese people I know here in the US use English names, so I don't have that many to go by.

Whether the Chinese name is part of kidlet's official name or not, I wouldn't be the one choosing it. I'd leave that to DH, or, probably, his family, although they're not so traditional that they wouldn't give us some say in it. My SIL's kids don't have official (legal) Chinese names, and they also didn't use the same generational name for them--they tried to pick something that had a similar sound to the English and still sounded like a Chinese name with a good Chinese meaning. Actually they picked Chinese names for the two kids and for me all at the same time. It was their entertainment for an evening last Christmas.

ETA: Also, good point, there's no reason we can't have Chinese people use the Chinese name and not have to worry so much that way
#56 of 58 Old 10-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Naming your kid is so hard! Last two times we took forever and I still I have doubts some days.

My dd is Shea Valentine
my ds is Eli Tait

For a boy we are thinking about Will
Silas(our fav so far)
Jacob(for a middle name, my grandpa's name

For a girl we had chosen Rowan Vashti last time

but we are also thinking about Vashti for the first name
or Helene(pronounced Hel ain)
Serenity

As you may have noticed we pick names that can't be shortened. Maybe it is partly a hang up about my name being 'Jenny', everyone thinks my name is short for something:P
#57 of 58 Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 PM

double post oops!
#58 of 58 Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 AM

We have plenty of girl names, but only one boy name so far. I just have a hard time coming up with boy names that 1) I like, and 2) aren't already names of people I know.

For instance, I like George as a name, but George is also a friend of mine from college who I, um, sort of hooked up with a month before I met DH.

I like Jacob and Andrew, but I work with a Jacob and an Andrew. I like Benjamin, but I have a cousin (who I've never met) named Benjamin and we are not using family names. I like Charley a lot, but it sort of rhymes with our last name and I don't want to be a jerk.

All we've got so far for a boy is Henry.

For a girl, our favorites are Alice and Mabel, but I also like Stella, Hazel, Lily, Helen, and plenty of others.

N,: Wife and Wannabe AP Mamma. 11/08. 9/09. Wishing for a , but wondering if I should.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page