The official May babies in Cloth thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 184 Old 09-22-2008, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay I haven't read through everything YET! We may have to do a new post every month!

We CD'd DS, he left the NICU in a Preemie PF! Even though he was over 9 lbs!

Now we've figured out what he needs and what my SAHD likes to use. We have about 10 Peewells M/L and L's, love them for my heavy wetter and they are so cute! With some fleece covers, some interlock covers, and some shorties. We also have about 10 Happy Heiny One Size pocket diapers. I like the prints of the sized one's better but we couldn't afford with how fast this guy grew! We also have a basket FULL of infant prefolds and some Premie and Premium. They still fit him and we use them as back up (I prefer them!) We have to use Huggies Overnights for night time because NOTHING works!!

For the new babe I'm hoping to get some S PW's and some cute covers. And if it's a girl ::crosses fingers:: some ruffle butts!!!

I love to talk cloth though and get feedback. I think we only have one or two diapers that we've bought new because I could NOT find them used, a VBSN hemp and a Blueberry pocket for DS's first pictures. So cute!

SAH Lubrarian Mamatrekkie.gif to our little man Caelan Paul kid.gif(8/26/07) two bouncy boys Westley Allen and Atticus Joseph fencing.gif(04/14/09) our sweet surprise HBAC Jasper Merle (03/26/13) stork-boy.gif and mate to my retired SAHDH who is now children's author/illustrator Joe Luby http://ow.ly/r8Fom.modifiedartist.gif  
#62 of 184 Old 09-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I get to get new cloth dipes next week, good thing because my son is not quite ready to seriously potty train but his prefolds are on their last legs, or getting ready to grow legs, not sure which. I'm thinking either tinytush.com (bought from them before, good place) or green mountain diapers (heard awesome things about them). I'm getting small covers (we started DS on cloth at medium), infant pf's, and premium pf's. Nothing too fancy but it will be a delight for me to have brand new ones, and already have something for the new little one.
#63 of 184 Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
It seems like I've been cloth diapering forever, but technically it's only been eight years!!! I actually wrote a short diaper review a couple of months ago on my blog. If anyone wants to read it, it's here. Since I wrote that though, my Under the Nile fitteds are really starting to wear out. The absolute best diapers that I've found - most of which have lasted EIGHT years - Fuzzibunz. I'll probably buy some more of them. I think I am going to try my hand at making some this time. Our local fabric store just set up a "diaper center" with all you need for diaper making. How cool is that?
This is very encouraging for me!

With my first, I was too busy/overwhelmed/tired to do lots of cloth diapering homework so I went with the first recommendation I got...Fuzzibunz. I bought the first size, liked them and then bought the medium and large sizes. I've been a little concerned about their durability and being able to reuse them. They're still in good condition but I'm just nervous they might wear out before they get grown out of by #2, but based on your experience, I am hopeful now that won't be a problem.

By far as a recommendation, we love the fuzzibunz. My husband thinks they are so easy. They really fit well into our lives.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#64 of 184 Old 09-24-2008, 06:07 PM

Subbing.

With my first, I had wanted to sew my own diapers, even got the pattern for them but I got busy during the pregnancy (working, moving, really tired most of the time and struggled with nausea the whole time). I bought the Fuzzibunz and have used them exclusively since 3 weeks postpartum. I used disposables until he grew into the small size (he was born 6 lbs and couldn't fit them until he was 9 lbs which he got to that fast).

This next time, I want to make some newborn dipes so I have them on hand. Although there's a good chance that this babe will be born big enough to fit the size small. Oh well, I still want to make some (cheaper than buying and more fun too) and I'll have them on hand in case...and if they don't end up getting used, they'll be fun dramatic play toys for the older toddler.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#65 of 184 Old 09-24-2008, 08:54 PM

So with Fuzzi Bunz, you have to get your own insert, right? Looks like you can use a prefold in them? Does one size of Fuzzi Bunz fit a broad range of ages for babies? They seem expensive though they are highly rated.

I'm thinking about prefolds with thirsties covers for the newborn stage, then maybe fuzzi bunz later. I know I could easily keep it simple and use prefolds and thirsties for all stages. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg and don't need a ton of different styles of diapers. I like the snappis and would probably use those. Looks like you'd use a prefold, snappi, plus a cover, for a whole diaper unit, right? With fuzzi bunz, just the insert of your choice and the fuzzi bunz?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#66 of 184 Old 09-24-2008, 09:09 PM

Fuzzi Bunz seem to work best with a microfiber insert. Its more trim than a folded prefold, but you could do that too. I don't particularly like them. I found that since they are poly, they never really got clean and they stunk bad. I prefer prefolds BUT the poly fleece does keep wetness away. I used Fuzzi Bunz at night for this reason, however they were useless in the newborn period. My DS would poop right out the leg holes. They are better for more solid poops.

Thats just my experience though.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#67 of 184 Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
Fuzzi Bunz seem to work best with a microfiber insert. Its more trim than a folded prefold, but you could do that too. I don't particularly like them. I found that since they are poly, they never really got clean and they stunk bad. I prefer prefolds BUT the poly fleece does keep wetness away. I used Fuzzi Bunz at night for this reason, however they were useless in the newborn period. My DS would poop right out the leg holes. They are better for more solid poops.

Thats just my experience though.
That's helpful to know since I am very new to cloth diapering! At least I have several months to figure it all out...lol.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#68 of 184 Old 09-25-2008, 09:53 AM

Oh yay! A CD thread! One of the very first things I was excited about when I found out I was pg again was the thought of buying itty bitty newborn diapers! I didn't start CDing my youngest DS until he was 10 mos old so all I have are Mediums/Larges.

I started buying/trading (on DiaperSwappers) the day after I got my bfp, lol. So far I have accumulated quite a few things and its just so much fun to compare them to DS' *huge* Mediums, lol. I can't wait to see this little one in his/her tiny little diapers.

I plan on taking cloth to the hospital with me but I am not opposed to using the hospital provided sposies while I'm there if I just don't feel up to dealing with the cloth. My Dh doesn't do diaper laundry at all so coming home with a big bag of dirties with another pail of dirties waiting at home for me isn't that nice of a thought for me. We'll see though, who knows what will change in 7 mos time.

PS about covers: I have NB proraps and small proraps, some NB fleece covers, a staccinator so simple, a NB bummis and a couple handmade covers here. I ordered a NB bummis super bright bc I read that they are super tiny and work well for little babies (which mine are). I may pick up a couple more of those, I have some for DS and I like them a lot.
#69 of 184 Old 10-01-2008, 05:06 PM

how exciting! i've never cloth diapered a newborn, we started at 7 months with my 2nd baby, so this is new. but i'm excited! i have a friend who is due in december, so i'll be getting all of her NB and small dipes when my baby comes. i'll probably knit up a bunch of soakers as well, we'll use prefolds/covers.
#70 of 184 Old 10-02-2008, 12:24 PM

Has anyone ever used a diaper service? I was thinking about trying this one: http://www.seattlediaper.com/.
#71 of 184 Old 10-02-2008, 12:46 PM

As for the Fuzzibunz - I have had to do some minor repair on some of them. Basically, I've sewn over some of the seams that have come undone. I use a regular prefold with them with no problems. I've also never had a problem with staining or stinking. They aren't as tight around the legs as some others, but I haven't found it to be a problem unless my LO has diarrhea. They have small diapers and medium diapers (maybe larger, too, but my kiddos never get big enough to need large diapers!).
#72 of 184 Old 10-02-2008, 02:48 PM

The problem I might see with a diaper service is that they pick up once a week. I imagine that your diaper pail would be quite ripe by then!! I used to wash every other day and the pail was quite smelly. I tried a few things like using just a wetbag, keeping the cover open, baking soda, etc....

Washing diapers really isn't a big deal. I am going to wash every night for this next one just to keep on top of it.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#73 of 184 Old 10-02-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
The problem I might see with a diaper service is that they pick up once a week. I imagine that your diaper pail would be quite ripe by then!!
Too true!!!
#74 of 184 Old 10-02-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleKristin View Post
Has anyone ever used a diaper service? I was thinking about trying this one: http://www.seattlediaper.com/.
My mom recommended it for the first few weeks to not have to worry about that laundry with a new baby. I'm not sure how often they should come though. She and my dad put the soiled diapers (they used liners too to reduce staining) in a pail of water with some dish soap, I think, to keep them from drying out and staining.

#75 of 184 Old 10-03-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
The problem I might see with a diaper service is that they pick up once a week. I imagine that your diaper pail would be quite ripe by then!! I used to wash every other day and the pail was quite smelly. I tried a few things like using just a wetbag, keeping the cover open, baking soda, etc....

Washing diapers really isn't a big deal. I am going to wash every night for this next one just to keep on top of it.
My mom got diaper service for me with my first for three months. It was nice, except for the fact that they NEVER left the right amount of diapers! Because you are exclusively breastfeeding (ideally) for the first several months, the diapers, and therefore the pail, don't stink even after a week. I found that our diapers didn't start to get stinky until we hit 10-11 months and by then I was washing them at home (and had made myself some pocket diapers, the diaper service only offered prefolds or contoured with covers).

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#76 of 184 Old 10-04-2008, 07:08 PM

I plan on doing cloth diapers by using prefolds and covers. I'm considering the Green Mountain prefolds and Bummis Super Whisper Wrap covers.

Has anyone had success getting day-cares to let you use prefolds and covers? I already have a day-care center picked out because I've worked there before and know they are a good day-care. However, I never had any kids in cloth diapers while working there. The infants room until the 2 year old room doesn't have a bathroom so I don't know where they will empty the poop (or if that's something they will need to do?).

I haven't asked the day-care about cloth diapers yet because I'm afraid it won't go over well at all.

If I was able to get a doctor's note saying that my baby needs to use cloth diapers due to skin sensitivity or something would the day-care be required to accommodate my needs?

When would be an appropriate time to discuss this with the day-care? My baby won't be entering day-care until he/she is about 3 months.

Carolyn
#77 of 184 Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses25 View Post
I plan on doing cloth diapers by using prefolds and covers. I'm considering the Green Mountain prefolds and Bummis Super Whisper Wrap covers.

Has anyone had success getting day-cares to let you use prefolds and covers? I already have a day-care center picked out because I've worked there before and know they are a good day-care. However, I never had any kids in cloth diapers while working there. The infants room until the 2 year old room doesn't have a bathroom so I don't know where they will empty the poop (or if that's something they will need to do?).

I haven't asked the day-care about cloth diapers yet because I'm afraid it won't go over well at all.

If I was able to get a doctor's note saying that my baby needs to use cloth diapers due to skin sensitivity or something would the day-care be required to accommodate my needs?

When would be an appropriate time to discuss this with the day-care? My baby won't be entering day-care until he/she is about 3 months.

Carolyn
I have used cloth with a baby in daycare. But for simplicities sake, I would suggest that you use pockets or all-in-ones with velcro for use in a daycare setting. Prefolds are a bit much for people to get used to and if there are different people each person will need to learn how to care for her diapers. It will also turn people off to cloth if they see it as a hassle. I would get enough pockets or aio's for two days maybe 10-14 and let the rest of your stash be prefolds. This way it isn't too expensive and you still have easy diapers for others to use. I have converted two babes in my dd's daycare and a few otw becuase of them!

What I did was keep two waterproof bags along with her diapers for the day in her bag. If she had any poopy diapers they went into one wetbag and the wet ones went into the other. I only used pockets so when I got home I just took the poopy diapers and dumped/sprayed them myself. And everything else got put into our bigger diaper bin at home until I washed. When I dropped dd off I just told them to change her every 2 hours because it is hard to tell when they are wet and to put the appropriate soiled diaper in its bag. I only had problems when someone was completely new with this system. I hope that helps.

afro.jpg Mom, Wife, Student Midwife and Doula. DD1hearts.gif - 5yrs (Aug 06), DD2 pinktongue.gif - 2yrs (May 09). BFP 3/4/12 - angel1.gif 3/17/12 

#78 of 184 Old 10-05-2008, 05:32 PM

I'm dying to get back to clothies

I have a pile of fuzzi bunz ready and waiting and will probably use some prefolds with my ME wraps. I do want to try out Bum Genius and I love bamboozles so may pick up some if they are available.
#79 of 184 Old 10-06-2008, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
*sigh* I just got done arguing with ANOTHER person about my hypothetical parenting choices (this time cloth) "You're not going to want to do that" "Thats messy" : JEEZE!! Look at my pic in my siggy.... I will give you time....... Does that look like the face of a person who does ANYTHING like "everyone else"?

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#80 of 184 Old 10-06-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
*sigh* I just got done arguing with ANOTHER person about my hypothetical parenting choices (this time cloth) "You're not going to want to do that" "Thats messy" :
I think everybody's gotten that at least once. Some of my inlaws were trying to decide how long I would last - the consensus was 3 weeks. So, so wrong.
#81 of 184 Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 AM

My sister makes CD so she's already started making some. She's going to give me her stash since both of her girls are now PT and not in diapers anymore. She has a huge mix of diapers from AIO to prefolds, Chinese, pockets, etc. She makes them all and tried them all from other WAHM stores. She only buys and makes all natural fibers, 100% cotton, wool, hemp, with no bleach or pesticides so I'm pretty set. Her newborn and smalls are in really good shape since they don't stay that size for very long. Some of her bigger sizes like the XL started to fall apart after the second baby but others are in great shape. I guess I need to go through it and see what she has, amount and styles wise, and see what she needs to make. Her covers are the solid wool as well as knitted wool that she dyes herself with all natural dyes.
#82 of 184 Old 10-08-2008, 05:29 PM

I am going to go with the BumGenius 3.0's. Everything I've read about them is top-notch.
#83 of 184 Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 PM

My4Monkeys : I'm in love with bum genius too but the price! ohh! I've thought about getting a few for "going outs" and maybe grandmas house.

If you find a cheap place to get them let us all in on it!

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#84 of 184 Old 10-08-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
My4Monkeys : I'm in love with bum genius too but the price! ohh! I've thought about getting a few for "going outs" and maybe grandmas house.

If you find a cheap place to get them let us all in on it!
I know...the price was a bit daunting to me at first, but then I think about never having to buy diapers again. I've looked at a lot of sites, and the prices on them seem to pretty much the same across the board, around $20 per dipe. I'm going with the 18 pack (non-organic) and will order them in January when we get our tax return and once we know the gender.

http://www.thanksmama.com/Bum_Genius_Diaper_s/126.htm
#85 of 184 Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 AM

I will probably go with the bummis kit, I have a few gerber prefolds that I "just had to buy" while TTC
the kit seems like the best value and the most versitile dipe!
the link to the bumgenius is the cheapest that I have ever seen them! I may have to talk DH into letting me get the 6 pack. Just for outings and things!

#86 of 184 Old 10-09-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I will probably go with the bummis kit, I have a few gerber prefolds that I "just had to buy" while TTC
the kit seems like the best value and the most versitile dipe!
the link to the bumgenius is the cheapest that I have ever seen them! I may have to talk DH into letting me get the 6 pack. Just for outings and things!
Glad to help!
#87 of 184 Old 10-09-2008, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
i loved the bumgenius for.. oh.. maybe 2-3 months? The aplix tabs are WAY too small, and not grippy enough. i think the stretchyness makes it worse, byputting even more tension on them. I will never buy any diapers that have those teeny little sissy tabs again. (thirsties is another culprit, but my thirsties covers seem to stay on a little better. probably because no stretchy tabs. Still not going to buy more.) They don't stick. I'd put a dipe on dd, then she'd roll over to crawl away while the diaper fell off immediately. There was a couple times I slacked on laundry and needed to use a BG as an "emergency" night time diaper (we use pockets for night). One time, even with a wool soaker over the top of it (I thought that would keep it on) I woke up in the middle of the night in an absolute flood of pee. It wasn't a leak. It bypassed the diaper entirely. In order to use BG, we need to PIN them on.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#88 of 184 Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 PM

lilstar what are your fave dipes? I don't have any experience with cloth and am kinda in the dark. I have read a lot but if you read long enough you are back to square one :

#89 of 184 Old 10-09-2008, 03:14 PM

I find that the mass produced diapers (like bum genius) are really hit or miss. Some aren't always the best quality in terms of manufacturing and often times don't hold up very long. I think many can agree that trying a combination of different diapers will help you decide what you like best.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#90 of 184 Old 10-09-2008, 04:28 PM

I am so excited to cloth diaper!!

In talking to a friend, I am leaning more towards trying Bummis covers instead of thirsties. I know the thirsties have gussets but my friend said if the fit is good, you don't need gussets, and she had some gussets that leaked. I may try a couple of both. She also recommended a doubler for night use to avoid changes during the night. I may check those out more.

The best price I found on prefolds is from www.chooseydiapers.com where this friend ships.

I'd like to try snappis fasteners too.

Question: what do you do about the cord healing with cloth diapers? can you fold them lower? What about the covers?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page