The official May babies in Cloth thread! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 184 Old 09-15-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Let's talk diapers!!! This was one of my favorite reasons for getting pregnant- getting and sewing diapers and knitting covers ! I am so excited! have any of you been thinking about what will be on your babe's bum?

I designate this as the official thread for all things baby cloth! Share what system you will be going with, brand of dipe and so on! You can share any great deals you have found too or experiences from your first babe!
#2 of 184 Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 PM

Oh what a fun thread! Since I sew and sell diapers for a living I'll be making most of this babe's stash but I absolutely love prefolds in the beginning. I like a combination of everything: fitteds, pockets, etc. I'm not an AIO fan simply because I like things to dry quickly. I've never had a prefold fail on me and they are awesome at holding the breastfed poo in. I'm also working on a few stash's for friends so I have a lot of diaper making to do.

I'm a crocheter and knitter also but I haven't been able to do it in ages, I will probably make this babe a few hats though.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#3 of 184 Old 09-15-2008, 11:44 PM

Oooh, great thread mama!

We'll be doing cloth for the new babe. It will be our first time cloth diapering a newborn, since we only switched to cloth at 14 months with E. It's going to be a lot of fun, I think.

In the newborn stage, I am going to go primarily with GMD prefolds (orange edge to start, maybe some of the new lavender edge) and Thirsties XS covers, as well as a few fitteds (hopefully Patooshie Pants.) I'm also going to get some fleece covers and maybe a piece or two of wool.

Then for smalls, I'll do yellow edge GMD prefolds, small pockets (likely Fuzzi Bunz), the MEOS I have already and the OS bamboo velour fitteds I have already. For covers it'll probably be more Thirsties or Bummis, with more fleece and wool.

I'm hoping to get a good part of my newborn/small diapers used, and then spend a little more on the fleece and wool covers. I love covers.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#4 of 184 Old 09-15-2008, 11:48 PM

I'm sewing for the baby and right now I'm going with a mix of Fattycakes, Little Starters, and Darling Diapers for the NB stage. I'm not sure what to do for smalls, but I have quite the stash of Little Starter's Little One Sizes going for the majority of babyhood. I'm so excited to be sewing for a baby again!!

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#5 of 184 Old 09-15-2008, 11:58 PM

I'm excited to cloth diaper again. My DS started reacting badly when he was about 6 months old so I had to quit. Hopefully this next one isn't as sensitive.

I'm going with very cheap and basic. I have prefolds (thirsties, chinese, and indian) and prorap covers. They never failed me! I also have a half dozen flannel side snap no name wahm fitteds that I love. I will have to find a really good nighttime diaper. I used FB's last time but they leaked bf poo really badly. I might try the Thirsties pocket/AIO because it has gussets. Its all about the gussets!!

For the older phase I may try swaddlebees again. I love the fit of swaddlebees for a really skinny babe.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#6 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 AM

I really want to do cloth diapering but I'm still in the researching overwhelmed over what I need to buy to start out with phase. I figured we'd start buying things gradually over the next couple of months so by the time May comes we'd have everything stocked up we need.

How hard is it to sew/knit the patterns? I have very basic knitting skills and I have a sewing machine (no serger).

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#7 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 AM

This will be my 2nd child, but it would be my first experience with CD. I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm still a bit overwhelmed like pp. So...I have no idea yet what I'll use or when.

Someone pointed out Diaper Swappers and I've been looking at that lately and starting to figure things out. I bet I'll learn a lot here! Great thread!
#8 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:19 AM

It seems like I've been cloth diapering forever, but technically it's only been eight years!!! I actually wrote a short diaper review a couple of months ago on my blog. If anyone wants to read it, it's here. Since I wrote that though, my Under the Nile fitteds are really starting to wear out. The absolute best diapers that I've found - most of which have lasted EIGHT years - Fuzzibunz. I'll probably buy some more of them. I think I am going to try my hand at making some this time. Our local fabric store just set up a "diaper center" with all you need for diaper making. How cool is that?
#9 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:22 AM

Diaper swappers is a good place to start. You can try out many different types and see what you like best, if you don't like it you can always re-sell it to somebody else. If you're looking to make your own I recommend the Diaper Sewing Divas message board. Mothering also has a great section on making your own diapers in crafts. There are many super easy patterns out there, some free and some for purchase. The possibilities are really endless.

With DS I bought a big starter kit of 36 infant prefolds, 24 regular prefolds, 6 newborn, 6 small, and 6 medium BSWW for $250 and that worked great for us. I would recommend something like that if you're thinking of going with prefolds and new to cloth.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#10 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 AM

right now, I use all fuzzi bunz. I love them. I do not love that they are not natural fibers, but everything else about them, I love.

With the next babe, I may mix it up a bit with the early infant. I have 20+ fuzzi bunz in the medium size and they have fit C. from 4 month through this current time-he's 30 months (with room to spare..). He's not a big guy, however.

I only have 10 smalls, so I will probably be borrowing some from my mama-friends. Hoping to test swaddlebees, wool, and whatever else comes along. Heck, perhaps I'll really learn to knit or sew or crochet!
#11 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 01:38 AM

I am currently CDing my 16 month old and will CD the new babe. I agree that prefolds and covers were the way to go with a newborn up to about 6 months. I make my own Fuzzibunz knock-offs and love them. And as for FB that are still in use after 8 yrs, wow! I've had to replace the elastic in FB for a few friends (which, if you have the time and inclination, is not that difficult). I've also been given a few Bum Genius 2.0 diapers that a friend swears by to replace elastic in.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#12 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 02:18 AM

I'm in!!
My DS has been CD'ed since birth - using everything from terry flats, cotton prefolds, bamboo prefolds, pockets, fitted and AIO's!

I recently started sewing some newborn Chloe Toes with fleece outers for this next bubba - so cute!!

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#13 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 AM

We'll be using Indian unbleached prefolds and wool (I knit) for at least the first 6 months. It was the only thing that worked for DD2, so we will be doing it again.

Because this pregnancy was a surprise I'll have to buy the prefolds again since I gave the others away , but I have already started knitting for this little one. I'm planning on doing mostly gender neutral with a pair of really girly longies and a pair of boy longies

My Ravelry ID is fluffyhaze if anyone wants to hook up there!
#14 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM

We plan to cloth diaper, though I do not know yet which kind. I had a friend offer me hers, when the time comes. I'll probably get those since they will be free, and see how many more I might need or how many might be too worn (used on 3+ kids).

Could you all post links to the kinds of diapers you use?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#15 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 AM

A gung-ho CD, new mom friend of mine ended up using disposables until the umbilical cord fell off because she couldn't get her Fuzzi Bunz to fold down. What's the trick around this? Also what about when you go out? I'm just thinking about the logisitics of it - what you take along, how you plan, and how to keep from stinking up the bag.
#16 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 09:53 AM

We use Bum Genius 3.0 for DS and they have been great. I'd love to hear if anyone has had luck using them snapped down for a newborn. I also wonder about the umbilical cord issue.

I'm excited because BG just came out with new colors. I can't wait to add to my stash!
#17 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 AM

My dd has been out of diaps over a year and we used bum genuis (but not until she was about 4 months old) So I've never cloth diapered a newborn before, I can't wait :

I have no clue what to do this time, I started sewing so I know I'd like to try and make my own... I am thinking prefolds at first? I have lots of research to do and sewing practice

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#18 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 AM

oOoOoh! How fun! My babies will be cloth babies. I tried sewing some but I have never seen or used a cloth diaper IRL so I couldn't quite wrap my head around the idea of how they were put together. I'm sure I will get the hand of it!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#19 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Oh, I love cloth. : With #1 we only had a few diapers that accommodated the cord stump so we were mostly disposable until he was a week old, and then we've been almost exclusively cloth ever since (at 16 months). We had a dozen orange edge newborn size prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers, some Proraps and BSWWs, some well-used Bum Genius 1.0s, and 8 or so small Happy Heiny's. For #2, I want to do more wool since I now knit for profit and I might get a couple bG 3.0s. #1 has been in medium Fuzzi Bunz for the past year, about a 30/70 mix with prefolds (the old rainbow and new brown edge from GMD), some Mommy's Touch, Kissaluv's size 1 (still fits!), and the BumGenius 1.0s. #1 is tall and skinny like Daddy so as he's gotten less plump and longer he's been in some of the same diapers since he was about 5 weeks old. Pretty cool, huh?
#20 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 10:44 AM

What would be a range of costs to supply yourself with diapers for the first time? I'm sure it varies a lot. Say you did all prefolds with simple covers? How many do you know how to get in each size?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#21 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
What would be a range of costs to supply yourself with diapers for the first time? I'm sure it varies a lot. Say you did all prefolds with simple covers? How many do you know how to get in each size?
I got a lot of my diapers used, which helped with costs. Let's say you're buying new everything. There are lots of diaper websites out there with lists of recommendations to get started. If I were starting from scratch and wanted to do prefolds and covers, I would get .....

2 dozen newborn or infant prefold, about $20/doz
5 small covers, Proraps ($7.25), BSWWs ($12.50), or Litewraps ($8)
2 Snappis ($3 each)
pail liner (~$15)

That will get you going for about $100-$125. I personally could not have made it without two pail liners and pocket diapers for my lazier moments. You will probably wash diapers every other day.
#22 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 11:08 AM

I use a mix of prefolds and muttaqins for newborns. Newborn diapers and some small are too small for my mutant babies.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#23 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 PM

We will be using cloth for sure! This will be my third cloth diapered newborn, my oldest didn't start in cloth until he was 3ish months old.
My last babies had mostly prefolds in the newborn and small stage but this time around I will be focusing on fitteds and covers. I started my cloth stash before this baby was even conceived. I have just over a dozen Kissaluvs in size 0, 10 thirsties covers in XS, a few in small too, and 5 Nanipoos in newborn.

My just turned 3 year old in still in cloth but I hope potty learning is right around the corner. Cloth isn't as cute with a grown up child diet lol
#24 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayarn View Post
You will probably wash diapers every other day.
Thanks for the ideas. As for laundry...the one thing I will hate! We have to go down to the basement to wash, and we're on the third floor of our apartment building. Plus we have to have a stash of quarters.

#25 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:32 PM

I bought a TON of prefolds and several wraps and sadly DS got HORRIBLE diaper rash with them. I don't know what I was doing wrong. Anyway, I moved into BumGenius pocket style and he wears them still. I also use G-Diapers regularly for the "disposable" times when needed and I do have some 7th generation for when we go to the inlaws house for the weekend and for other travel. I sort of feel bad washing diapers at other people's houses, but I like to do it at home. I love the little diaper sprayer/bidet attachment I bought. It is a LIFESAVER.

The one thing I am having trouble with is that my Bum Genius seem to need to be washed EVERY DAY now. I have about 16 of them so usually I can have enough to last me two or so days but after the first day, even if there's only four diapers in there, the pail smells sooo badly of urine. They never used to though... I'm not sure if its DS or what!!? They come out of the dryer smelling fine.... I just don't know what to do. But Every day to wash just four diapers seems like a lot. Anyone else have any ideas. Basically what I do now is just sprinkle a lot of baking soda in the pail (dry pail) until the next day when I wash two days worth of diapers.

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#26 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtoharry View Post
We use Bum Genius 3.0 for DS and they have been great. I'd love to hear if anyone has had luck using them snapped down for a newborn. I also wonder about the umbilical cord issue.

I'm excited because BG just came out with new colors. I can't wait to add to my stash!
I had difficulty with them snapped all the way down for DS. They were just so thick in the middle that his poor little legs were all akimbo. So, admittedly, DS was in Pampers for the first month. He was only 7lbs 1oz at birth (full term!!!)

I have a few fuzzi bunz and I love how they are slimmer than the BG's but they (I have the older snap ones) wicked too much for my taste around the seams. I have a ton of BG's one size velcro tabs (2.0 I think) so I'll keep using those.

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#27 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters View Post
I have about 16 of them so usually I can have enough to last me two or so days but after the first day, even if there's only four diapers in there, the pail smells sooo badly of urine. They never used to though... I'm not sure if its DS or what!!? They come out of the dryer smelling fine.... I just don't know what to do.
Time to strip the diapers!
#28 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayarn View Post
Time to strip the diapers!
Can you do that with pocket diapers? I thought since they were synthetic fiber inserts you couldn't do that. Hmm, so... palmolive? I'll try anything, something is OBVIOUSLY up with them!!!

ETA: Ah hah!!!! This is so me.

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/resou...entdebate.html

BTW: I'd been using County Save detergent and BacOut...

I'll be stripping tonight!

#29 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 PM

There are different stripping methods for different causes of the stink. Mine was detergent buildup, so I washed the diapers as usual and at the point where I would hang them on the line I instead turned up the water heater and washed them with HOT water and a couple squirts of our dish detergent. Then I ran wash cycles one after the other, skipping the rinse, until during agitation there were no more suds in the water. That did the trick for my diapers. You have BGs right? If I remember correctly, as long as they are version 2 or 3 you can wash them in hot water. The nylon of version 1 is not supposed to be washed on hot. I have 1s so I didn't strip the BGs but I did strip the FBs and prefolds to no ill effect.

Good luck!
#30 of 184 Old 09-16-2008, 12:57 PM

^^Thanks!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page