First appt today, not what I hoped update #13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm 5wks 6 days. I know I am. There was a yolk sac and a fetal pole, but no hb. I saw a hb with DS #1 earlier than that. The sac was a little big too (don't know how that's possible, I know how far along I am) at 6 wks 2 days. They took a bunch of blood so maybe that will give me some idea of which way this is going. They want me to come back in two weeks. I don't have a lot of symptoms really, so. . . I don't know. I've lost a baby before, but I have 2 beautiful sons. This was an unexpected surprise, but it's amazing how attached you get to the idea of something.

Feeling sort of blah.
#2 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 11:29 PM

I wouldn't give up hope just yet. The heart doesn't start beating until 6 weeks, give or take a few days. Ultrasounds can also be off by a few days in terms of dating as well. I hope you get the news you're hoping for soon!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#3 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
At my first ultrasound, at 5 weeks and 4 days, there wasn't even a fetal pole! I totally freaked about it. But, the child is currently kicking my pelvic bone, and we just hit 27 weeks. All fine and well. Babies are people too, and they come in all shapes, sizes and speeds. Yours (like mine!) is likely just taking a little more time to get it all together. Much easier said than done, but try not to stress about it. You're still within the realm of normal!

For greater things are yet to come...

#4 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
At my first ultrasound, at 5 weeks and 4 days, there wasn't even a fetal pole! I totally freaked about it. But, the child is currently kicking my pelvic bone, and we just hit 27 weeks. All fine and well. Babies are people too, and they come in all shapes, sizes and speeds. Yours (like mine!) is likely just taking a little more time to get it all together. Much easier said than done, but try not to stress about it. You're still within the realm of normal!
Same, except I am only 8 weeks along today. I didn't even have a fetal pole when I went in at about 5 weeks and a couple days, which scared me horribly. Now, at 8 weeks, with no miscarriage symptoms, I'm getting ready for my second appointment where I will hopefully see a baby and a heartbeat!
#5 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 10:08 AM

I am sorry mama that your appt didn't go as well as you wanted. Good Luck!

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#6 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 12:08 PM

I agree with the others.. Try not to worry

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#7 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 01:10 PM

I'll be thinking about you this weekend and sending you sticky thoughts. do you have another u/s scheduled for that 2 week visit? i've never done an early one so i'm not sure how they're supposed to go or what you see when. anyway, good luck this weekend and keep us posted.
#8 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 01:21 PM

I only saw a gestational sack with DS at almost six weeks with DS. Two weeks later, there he was. Don't give up hope!

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#9 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 01:43 PM

Don't let them scare you. Miscalculating by one milimeter can mean the difference between five weeks and six. I did not see a heartbeat when I had a transvaginal ultrasound at five weeks. The radiologist wrote "fetal demise" on my chart, and said I was measuring 7 weeks and 3 days. I chart meticulously and I KNEW that was not possible. I did see a heartbeat yesterday and the radiologist (different one this time) said I looked like I am exactly 7 weeks, which is just what my charts say. You should be able to see a heartbeat at 6 weeks, but even then, it does not mean you've miscarried if you don't see it.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#10 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 03:08 PM

i'm sorry mama.

don't give up hope though! like quite a few PPs have said, a day or two could make a difference here!

sending you lots of good thoughts : and hoping for happy news soon
#11 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 03:19 PM

That doesn't sound unusual at all for earlier than 6 weeks-- I mean even for a healthy pregnancy. I'm surprised they would even DO an ultrasound that early; my REs don't start until 6 weeks just because there's so little to see before then.

Good luck, and try not to worry! :

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#12 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 04:35 PM

At this point, I wouldn't worry too much either as others have said. That is early...my friend is a doc and he mentioned to me that the heart can start beating anywhere from 5.5 to 9 wks. Keep up the hope

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

#13 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I really appreciate the support. I had such an early u/s because I have a history of infertility and loss.

The nurse called with my progesterone level this morning and said it was 30 which was good though, so I will keep my fingers crossed.
#14 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 05:28 PM

Thinking of you
That progesterone sounds good!

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#15 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 05:31 PM

I had my first US at around 5.5 weeks and there was no heartbeat. The doctor said that was completely normal and would not expect to see one until at least a week later. I had another US just a couple of days ago at 7 weeks and the little heartbeat was there. Hang in there!

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page