got 2nd HCG levels back.... and... do i have to wean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
at 12dpo HCG was 114 Progesterone 65
at 14dpo HCG was 333 Progesterone 49.7

it doubled... but with my son my first level was 117 and second 441... but doubling is good enough right??

also my gynae and gp have advised me to wean... can you please check out my thread and let me know what you think

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6#post12212766

UPDATE: ok spoke to my gynae she said because my progesterone dropped she's gonna put me on 60 mg progesterone and i dont have to take the baby aspirin... she doesnt think its too neccessary... and i should stop breastfeeding because i will drain myself but if i want to carry on i can take each day as it comes and stop when i feel i should... so all well....

i thought my progesterone levels were good tho? weird hehe...

i just read online that progesterone tabs are sometimes linked to birth defects!! also is it safe while breastfeeding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 AM

Wow. Well I haven't read your other post yet. I am also nursing my 2 year old, but my MW said I do not have to wean. My HCG levels were 148 at 15 DPO and 489 at 18 DPO so they said that was fine. My first progesterone was 12, and they didn't even re-test that the second time. Your progesterone levels look really high, so I am surprised about the supplementation suggestion. I guess it is just because it went down?? Now I feel like I should be freaking out about the 12 even though my MW said it is fine...? Sometimes I hate the internet!

On american pregnancy.org I found this about normal progesterone levels in early pregnancy:

"Progesterone levels also can have quite a variance at this stage of pregnancy. They can range from 9-47ng/ml in the first trimester, with an average of 12-20ng/ml in the first 5-6 weeks of pregnancy."

editing to add- Nursing can't in any way affect your HCG levels, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. And honestly, given how high your progesterone levels are I also wouldn't worry about that if I were you....

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#3 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

so do you think i should take the progesterone oral tablet?
#4 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 03:19 PM

i'm nursing my 17 m/o DD 10-20 times a day. you will probably need to eat more, and drink more than if you weren't nursing, but you should not have to wean!

just google "nursing during pregnancy" and you'll see that there are reasons to wean (like early labor) but everything i've read says that it's safe in almost every circumstance in the first trimester!

good luck... you might want to get a second opinion.
#5 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie143 View Post
so do you think i should take the progesterone oral tablet?
If it were me I would get a second opinion.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#6 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 PM

The only good reason I've ever known to have to wean during pregnancy was for those who were at risk for pre-term labor. A lot of doctors are not familiar with breastfeeding let alone breastfeeding during pregnancy and it used to be a pretty widely spread myth that you couldn't breastfeed during pregnancy. I assume that's why they told you to wean. As long as you have adequate hydration and calories there is absolutely no reason to wean, and if I were you I would absolutely be getting a second opinion from someone who is more breastfeeding friendly.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#7 of 11 Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

i found out that here in south africa we measure differently.. so my first progesterone according to the american measurement is 19 and second one was 15... my doc said 15 is low.. so im using a progesterone cream(took oral tabs for two days but that was synthetic and i was worried it would harm fetus)...

is progesterone ok to take while breastfeeding?
#8 of 11 Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM

As far as I know you can continue to nurse while using progesterone cream. I've heard of it being prescribed for PPD and regulating menstrual cycles and moms continuing to nurse so I don't see why it would be a problem now.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#9 of 11 Old 09-24-2008, 02:29 PM

Well, I've never had low progesterone, but I breastfed my daughter through out my pregnancy with my first son (and for the entire 23 months that my son nursed, and then for another 6 months after that. She liked nursing quite a bit.) and I'm nursing my second son now and am not planning on weaning him...though he is less interesting in nursing than either of my other two were at 1, so we will see what happens, it's totally up to him.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#10 of 11 Old 09-24-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
The only good reason I've ever known to have to wean during pregnancy was for those who were at risk for pre-term labor.
Even this isn't a given. I am at risk for pre-term labor and had issues with pre-term labor in all 3 pregnancies, I just nursed Janelle on the monitors, that proved that nursing her for less than 10 minutes per breast did not cause contractions, and that was that.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#11 of 11 Old 09-24-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
Even this isn't a given. I am at risk for pre-term labor and had issues with pre-term labor in all 3 pregnancies, I just nursed Janelle on the monitors, that proved that nursing her for less than 10 minutes per breast did not cause contractions, and that was that.
I should have clarified. What I meant were women who showed signs of pre-term labor while nursing, not just pre-term labor in general.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page