previous footling breech... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my very stubborn DD was footling breech, and after all attempts to turn her failed (there were a LOT! webster, moxibustion, elephant walking, tilt, music, DH telling her to turn while in tilt, and finally a version!) i had a scheduled c-section (i wasn't allowed to go into labor, because of the risk of cord prolapse.)

my birth experience was very good-- partly due to my midwife who attended, and barked orders at the OR staff when it was needed

obviously, i'd like to be able to have a natural VBAC this time. there are a few things i'm worried about though.

1.) my mom had two kids. we were both breech. my only child so far was breech. so, 100% of my mom's and my children have been breech, when only .03% of all babies are breech at term. (side note: the surgeon said that there were no abnormalities in my uterus that would explain the breech presentation.)

2.) i'm wondering if my worrying and "i hope she's not breech" feelings/thoughts might have actually caused my daughter to be breech.

so! here's my real issue. i'm wondering if doing all the "turn the baby" things that i mentioned above starting from when i feel this baby move would help baby want to be head down, or if it would end up backfiring by keeping breech-thoughts at the forefront of my mind.

should i just sit back and hope that my body/baby get it right this time, or be proactive about it?

i ordered the "turn baby turn" CD from hypnobabies, along with a VBAC visualisation CD.

please don't think i'm crazy. i know that i'm less than 5 weeks along, but even though i had a good birth experience with my daughter, i think she needed about three more weeks to cook. she didn't open her eyes for almost three weeks, she lost 9.9% of her body weight and developed jaundice!

thanks for reading!
#2 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 04:41 PM

I don't think you're crazy at all! I would absolutely do what you can to have good posture starting now so you'll encourage this baby to keep a favorable position. That means sitting up straight with your belly relaxed and your legs spread, sitting on a birth ball, avoiding lounging back on the couch, etc. Seeing a chiropractor early on and continuing to do so throughout pregnancy will help keep everything loose and help baby stay in a comfortable and favorable position. Prenatal yoga will help keep things lose as well. You may have already checked it out, but spinningbabies.com has a lot of information on how to encourage baby to get into and keep a favorable position starting early on in pregnancy.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#3 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
You may have already checked it out, but spinningbabies.com has a lot of information on how to encourage baby to get into and keep a favorable position starting early on in pregnancy.
None of the pics or graphics are working on the pregnancy section of the site...though it interests me. Anyone else having problems viewing?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 PM

WOW! I so could have written your post, (except DS was transverse, then frank). I, too, did everything I could to have him turn except a version which they wouldn't do because my placenta was very anterior and they didn't want to risk it coming off?!?!! So, no version. But I already had the "YES! You can turn your Breech Baby" hypnobabies cd! What you said about worrying making her breech, I felt the same way, as during our Bradley classes, the whole idea of breech was introduced to me (well, when I actually first thought about it as a real possibility), sure enough, Breech! Man, I only sat sitting upright leaning forward, on a ball, did everything and was still breech. I checked spinning babies, checked EVERY week for "Breech 32 weeks, statistical chance of turning". "Breech 35 weeks, statistical chance of turning". I was obsessed. Not only that, but I TEACH yoga. Seriously, you will not find a more limber person than I. As well, my surgeon said there was no indication for why DS was breech, other than stubborn. This time, I've told myself to chill out about it and just do what feels right. I have given up the hope that you can actually do anything if your child decides to be breech, honestly. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, mostly people who had a breech turn "just at the last minute". My thoughts on that are that that baby was going to turn anyway.

After the hundreds of dollars spent on Webster Chiropractors and moxabustion, etc. I'm over it. If baby is going to be breech, I've decided that's just what is meant to happen and I need to let go. I had a really hard time accepting my scheduled c-section and it wasn't even a terrible experience, just not what I had dreamed or hoped. ANyway, not to pooh pooh you doing what you were talking about, I mean, I am sure I will be watching my posture, etc, too, but I'm just trying not to get too worked up over it and hope that bean #2 goes head down and I can VBAC. Good luck and I'm sure we'll have head down babies this time!!!

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#5 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
None of the pics or graphics are working on the pregnancy section of the site...though it interests me. Anyone else having problems viewing?
As far as I know the website is being updated and some parts aren't as up to speed as the others, you can keep checking back and see if it changes.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#6 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

well, i don't feel as crazy anymore

it's a tough call. my husband thinks we should focus on positive thinking, and some self hypnosis (with help from the VBAC visualization cd) and wait till the 20th week to start the physical methods.

DD was breech at 20 weeks, and she never flipped, but we didn't start all the different stuff until almost 30 weeks, and by then she was big enough to make it hard to turn >.<
#7 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 08:36 PM

The birth center I go to has delivered at least one footling breech (and he was 10 pounds, to boot). I've seen the photographs. The pictures were like WOW, but mom and baby were fine. So ... my thought would be - even if baby is breech, you can still deliver vaginally.
#8 of 11 Old 09-19-2008, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsofia View Post
The birth center I go to has delivered at least one footling breech (and he was 10 pounds, to boot). I've seen the photographs. The pictures were like WOW, but mom and baby were fine. So ... my thought would be - even if baby is breech, you can still deliver vaginally.

i talked to 14 midwives in my area, and none of them have attended or know anyone in the area who had attended a footling breech birth. they all basically said that it's becoming a lost technique, and it's the most dangerous delivery to try without any prior experience, other than transverse.

only one said that she would be willing to try, but only in a hospital, and she said there were no hospitals in the are that would allow it. at that point, though, i had already decided not risk my baby's life to get the birth experience i wanted.
#9 of 11 Old 09-20-2008, 08:50 AM

Did not have a footling but both boys were posterior and since I was strapped down to a bed both times I ended in C/S so I sort of know where you are coming from bc I have looked at things too already. I am actually going to be borrowing the Hypnobirthing book from someone to see if it is for me. I already looked at the CD selection too.

GL, LM

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
#10 of 11 Old 09-20-2008, 11:32 AM

There's not much to "delivering" a breech, good midwives have a saying, "hands off the breech" because interference is risky. Most agree that with footling breech the mother should wait 45 minutes to an hour from the first pushing contraction to bear down to make sure the cervix has time to completely dilate. From the statistics footling breech is still riskier and I understand you not wanting to take that risk, you have to do what you feel is right. You'd have to become a member here, but there's all kind of breech birth stories and information if you're interested.
here's an unassisted breech homebirth
#11 of 11 Old 09-20-2008, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroomum25 View Post
There's not much to "delivering" a breech, good midwives have a saying, "hands off the breech" because interference is risky. Most agree that with footling breech the mother should wait 45 minutes to an hour from the first pushing contraction to bear down to make sure the cervix has time to completely dilate. From the statistics footling breech is still riskier and I understand you not wanting to take that risk, you have to do what you feel is right. You'd have to become a member here, but there's all kind of breech birth stories and information if you're interested.
here's an unassisted breech homebirth
there may not be much to delivering a breech, but many "good" midwives don't have experience doing so, because very few babies are breech, and even fewer of the mothers even want to consider natural childbirth.

theory is great, but it does not replace experience. one midwife told me that although she's read about catching footling breech babies, she wouldn't feel comfortable gambling my baby's life on pictures and words, rather than real life experience. she is a highly respected midwife who has caught 1000's of babies (including more than 100 breech babies).

[i just re-read what i wrote, and it sounds kind of rude. that wasn't my intention, so i'm sorry if anyone was offended!
i should mention that there are quite a few midwives in the area who will attend frank breech births, and even one OB! things would have been different for us if Ella had been frank breech. the fact that there are generally less than 1,400 footling breech births a year compared to around 120,000 frank breech in the US makes it hard for anyone to have experience with it ]

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page