meat aversion-anybody? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else now dislike meat? I crave pizza all the time, but any homemade meat such as hamburgers, pasta, turkey, chicken, etc. does not sound good to me at all. Fast food meat is fine, but I don't want to constantly eat fast food while pregnant.

Carolyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008, 10:50 PM

Oooh, that was me when I was preggo with Ds. I couldn't even look at meat until I was, oh, about 5-6 months along. Bleh. It made me extremely queasy, even fast food.

I hope your meat aversion doesn't last as long, because it can be difficult to find creative ways to get enough (healthy!) protein. And you're right, it's just not a good idea to eat fast food all the time.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:45 PM

I started having a meat aversion during the later half of my pregnancy with DS. Any meat grossed me out, especially red meat. Cottage cheese and yogurt are good sources of protein, even a Luna bar if you can stomach it has a lot of protein to get you through until you can handle meat again.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 09-21-2008, 01:14 AM

I'm still ok with meat now (just 4 weeks), but with my son's pregnancy I had an aversion to both meat and hot foods! So I lived off fruit, salads, and cottage cheese for the majority of my first trimester! And yes, cottage cheese has a lot of protein per serving compared to other non-meat foods.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
Old 09-21-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by favrielle View Post
I hope your meat aversion doesn't last as long, because it can be difficult to find creative ways to get enough (healthy!) protein.
Only if you're not used to it! Okay, so my aversion doesn't really count since I've been vegetarian for 16+ years, but when I'm pregnant just the sight of meat makes me want to hurl! That and coffee.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:06 AM

Last time I was pregnant, I couldn't cook beef. I started cooking it one day to make something, & halfway through I told DH if he wanted dinner, he needed to get take out. Not only could I not eat that, I couldn't stomach to cook or let him cook anything else. Just the smell...ugh.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 AM

So far I am still eating meat, but when I was pregnant with DS this happened to me in a big way. No meat at all! Just the thought made me sick. I only wanted macaroni and cheese or grilled cheese sandwiches.
I am wondering if it will happen again this time...

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
Old 09-21-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Only if you're not used to it! Okay, so my aversion doesn't really count since I've been vegetarian for 16+ years, but when I'm pregnant just the sight of meat makes me want to hurl! That and coffee.
Good point. I'm a definite omnivore, though, and while I usually go mostly for the lean meats, I'm still a meat-eater. I like fish the most.

My MIL gave me one of her newly-processed home-grown turkeys yesterday (35+ pounds...Wow!!) and I'm hoping I get to enjoy the silly thing. I don't want to leave it in the freezer until I'm so big there's no room to enjoy it. *sigh*
Old 09-21-2008, 11:27 AM

I tried to cook some hamburgers yesterday for lunch and I was TOTALLY grossed out both by the smell and the taste. Weird. I have no taste for fish or pork now either.

But I can still do chicken & lamb for some reason.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 09-21-2008, 02:06 PM

YES! I ordered some chicken last night and it totally repulsed me. I PLOWED through some fruit yesterday though! So weird. I still crave cheeseburgers, but the actual thought of eating them makes me feel sick.

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
Old 09-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Dropping in from April- I could not eat any meat for the first four months with DD1, and it's the same with this baby. But I can eat it if I don't think about it, if I don't have to make it. I cannot eat meat I prepare while pregnant. And I'm not a vegetarian.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 09-21-2008, 09:37 PM

Funny actually I have been craving hamburgers!

I am so sick all morning eating only crackers, cereal etc., then around 2 pm I finally feel better and am starving! Three times last week I had a cheese burger for lunch. (And I finally am "getting" pickles on a burger.) While I am obviously not a veggie, this is totally unlike me. And, I just drank a glass of milk!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:14 PM

I have a beef aversion.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

User Tag List