due date question and abbreviations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm hoping someone could estimate how far along i am? this is my first pregnancy. the first day of my last period was july 29 and my cycles are typically 35-38 days long.

also, is there a place on this site where i can find all the abbreviations you guys are using? i feel lost when i read your threads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 PM

http://www.whenmybaby.com/pregnancycalendar.php

http://www.mymonthlycycles.com/home.jsp

Q & A forum http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=522590

Keep in mind though DDs don't really mean much.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Old 09-22-2008, 11:51 PM

I answered in your other post but I'll answer here as well. If you aren't sure of when you ovulated it's impossible for any of us to tell you when you conceived, which is how we'd guess how far along you are. You could have ovulated anywhere between those 35-38 days since ovulation times vary widely between women. Doctors like to go by 2 weeks after the start of your LMP but that assumes that all women have 28 day cycles, since your cycles are long it will likely be inaccurate. If you chart or keep track of your cervical fluid or took OPK's that would make it a little easier to figure out.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 09-23-2008, 01:18 AM

One thing that is consistent in any women is the time from ovulation to your next period. It is called the luteal phase and it typically lasts from 12-16 days with the average being 14 days. Your luteal phase is always the same each cycle even though the number of days in your cycle will vary. So I could calculate your due date within four days counting backwards from when you should have expected your next period to the day of ovulation. But you will probably need to have a dating ultrasound just to be sure. I would say 5/11 - 5/15 based on your luteal phase at 14 days. You should definitely check with your doctor though.

afro.jpg Mom, Wife, Student Midwife and Doula. DD1hearts.gif - 5yrs (Aug 06), DD2 pinktongue.gif - 2yrs (May 09). BFP 3/4/12 - angel1.gif 3/17/12 

Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iana703 View Post
One thing that is consistent in any women is the time from ovulation to your next period. It is called the luteal phase and it typically lasts from 12-16 days with the average being 14 days. Your luteal phase is always the same each cycle even though the number of days in your cycle will vary.
I wouldn't say this is necessarily true. My luteal phase has never consistently been the same number of days, it has always ranged between 8 and 13 days.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 09-23-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
I wouldn't say this is necessarily true. My luteal phase has never consistently been the same number of days, it has always ranged between 8 and 13 days.
Really? I have heard of people with consistently shorter luteul phases but have not had any experiences with a varience that wide. One to two days varience I have heard of and is normal so I am going to have to ask my preceptor about that and what would cause it.

Are you taking any progesterone supplements or creams? Out of curiosity.

afro.jpg Mom, Wife, Student Midwife and Doula. DD1hearts.gif - 5yrs (Aug 06), DD2 pinktongue.gif - 2yrs (May 09). BFP 3/4/12 - angel1.gif 3/17/12 

Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Really? I have heard of people with consistently shorter luteul phases but have not had any experiences with a varience that wide. One to two days varience I have heard of and is normal so I am going to have to ask my preceptor about that and what would cause it.

Are you taking any progesterone supplements or creams? Out of curiosity.
Nope, no progesterone here. I've never had normal cycles as long as I can remember and they've been just as wacky after giving birth.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 AM

I agree about the luteal phases. Mine has consistently been 9-11 days long and here I sit pregnant with #3.

For the abbreviations....here

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:19 PM

Of course, she also could have ovulated earlier than usual, which might throw things off. For example, for the last year that I've been charting, I've averaged 32ish day cycles with a 12-13 day LP. If my OB actually went by that, she'd assume O around day 20, when in fact, this cycle that I got pg was a complete fluke and I O'd on day 13!!

OP, I agree, if you really don't know, you might have to have a dating u/s to be sure. Otherwise, the previous posters were right on. You could pin down a very estimated due date range by assuming an average LP and counting back.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Yup me too. Over the course of the 6 mos before I got pg my lp varied from 10-14 days.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
One thing that is consistent in any women is the time from ovulation to your next period. It is called the luteal phase and it typically lasts from 12-16 days with the average being 14 days. Your luteal phase is always the same each cycle even though the number of days in your cycle will vary. So I could calculate your due date within four days counting backwards from when you should have expected your next period to the day of ovulation. But you will probably need to have a dating ultrasound just to be sure. I would say 5/11 - 5/15 based on your luteal phase at 14 days. You should definitely check with your doctor though.

hehe.. just had to chime in too!

my LP is 10 days-- w/ a 31 day cycle

it was the same before I was pregnant w/ DD, too
Old 09-24-2008, 12:38 AM

Don't get me wrong mamas! I know that luteal phases are different for each woman and can vary slightly from cycle to cycle. I was specifically stating that 12-16 is considered normal and I know there are outliers on either side. What I was offering to the OP was an estimate of her due date based on an average luteal phase because that is all I could do with the information she presented. What I did not know is that there could be such a large variance (more than 1-2 days) between cycles. I was always told that your luteal phase was pretty consistent. It's just something else I need to look into.

User Tag List