dating ultrasounds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been reading a few different posts with some of you suggesting ultrasounds to "date" your DD. I would like to know why some of you think this is necessary? Due dates, IMO, can vary so much anyhow, I just assume that as long as you know within a week or two of when you're "due", then an ultrasound really isn't necessary? Is it for the convenience of your OB or just to satisfy curiosity?

I'm by no means judging either way, I just find it interesting that I've read a few posts advocating it and I'm not sure why....

Thanks!
Andrea
#2 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't really understand it either.
#3 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 01:19 PM

For certain tests during the pregnancy, it's important to know at exactly how many weeks you are at. I am thinking in particular of the nuchal thickness/translucency measurements, which are taken at 12 weeks to determine the probability that the baby will have down's syndrome. If this test is performed later, it is no longer reliable, so you really have to be sure that you are between 12 and 13 weeks. I believe that the PAPPA blood test also has to be done at around 12 weeks but I'm not sure how much less reliable those results are if you wait longer to get it done.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#4 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 01:21 PM

I had a dating done for my daughter because I wasn't charting when I got pregnant and have incredibly irregular cycles. I could have guessed and been off by weeks, and you can't go by my LMP bacaue I can have 35 days a cycle or 55. My midwives needed to know because there is a crazy rule here in Ottawa that everyone gets induced after they are 10 days over 40 weeks. You want to make your due date as late as possible. As it was I was six days over thier calculated date, but my DD was born covered with vernix...so not looking late at all. My kids measure long early on...

I have very mixed feelings about the dating ultrasounds. They are not as accurate as you might be led to believe.
#5 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 01:32 PM

This is my first pregnancy, so I'm trying to educate myself both here and through my OB. I guess I am looking forward to my first ultrasound (at 7 weeks) just for confirmation that I am pregnant and that everything is ok.

Mom of 2 feisty boys and 1 busy business --Tmuffin--where we help moms connect through birth, babywearing, play, and parenthood.

#6 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 01:37 PM

I couldn't give a rat's patootie about the "dating" aspect of it. I had an ultrasound done so I could see the heartbeat.

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#7 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 PM

With my first pregnancy the PA thought my uterus felt more like 9 or 10 weeks than what I thought. I was charting and had textbook 28 day, o on day 14 cycles and I was spot on according to the ultrasound.

I'm confident of my dates again, so I'll be skipping it this time even if my uterus is the size of my house. If it's twins I'll just find out later.
#8 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 PM

I don't have them done, we guessed on DS's due date and I was charting with this one so I have a good idea for when I'd be due. I guess if you were breastfeeding without AF and got pregnant you'd want to know when you'd be due since you didn't have a cycle to go by, for example. Or if you have really erratic cycles and can't pinpoint when you ovulated. As others have said it may not be about dating at all but for reassurance. One big reason I think would be to have a general time frame to plan for arrangements for other children and to gather birth supplies, like renting a birth tub for example which can only be done for 2-3 weeks at a time.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#9 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 02:02 PM

I had a early scan with my last pregnancy. They didn't call it a dating scan really, they just called it their normal office procedure. I was fine with doing it. In fact, if I was offered one with this pregnancy I'd do it again. I'm one of those people who likes ultrasounds & feel safe using them (not like 30 of them or anything, but a couple during the pregnancy isn't issue to me). My midwife usually just does one, & I'm fine with that. She doens't believe in needing to date a pregnancy & I didn't need to date my previous pregnancy since I was 100% sure of my dates. I'm fully convinced my former OB office just did them because they were in house & just over $300 a pop to insurance. I don't see anything wrong with them being offered or people getting them, I do have issues with doctors offices pushing them or even requiring them of women who don't want one.

So, while I didn't have one this pregnancy, if it we're offered I'd do it. Not to date, but just to make sure things looked good & get a look at the blob that is our baby. lol
#10 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 02:04 PM

It goes both ways. I would rather not have an u/s so I can fudge my dates as much as possible because I always go so late. But 2 weeks off for me would mean I could be a mos late rather than the 2 weeks I always am. So if I was really unsure I would get an u/s. But I chart so I know when I conceived anyway. But it goes both ways. You may need it to date or you may need it to avoid dating. It depends on each individuals situation.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#11 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 03:17 PM

The only reason I would do a dating ultrasound is if I had recently given birth and my cycles hadn't returned and I really had no idea when I was due. As it is, my DD was born within 2 days of the MW's calculated due date from my LMP and on the day I calculated from ovulation, so I'm pretty confident that this one will be within the two weeks that I calculated (and I then went back and figured out the LMP from my ovulation date and that is the date I give the MW.)

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#12 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 03:22 PM

At my office they use dating kind of as the "excuse" to do the early ultrasound. It also makes it covered by insurance. Meaning they offer it even if you were charting/are sure of your dates, but they write down that it is for dating purposes. Although I am not unaffected by some of the concerns circulating around here about ultrasounds, I still will have one because I want to see the heartbeat and see my baby. For some reason, I really seem to need that peace of mind.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#13 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 PM

From what I have seen on here, it is recommended in cases where there the due date could fall in a period of a few weeks, when the mother has no idea of her cycle or when she conceived.

Even a two week swing can make a big difference on the other end with induction when it's not anywhere near necessary.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#14 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 05:04 PM

just throwing this out there...

with my first pregnancy, i didn't know when i'd ovulated, so we just went w/ the LMP due date, which i thought at the time was the more "natural" way to do it. it put my "due date" five days earlier than the ultrasound based dd.

DD ended up being footling breech and nobody (including my midwife) wanted me to go into labor because of the risk of cord prolapse, so i had a c-section 1 week before my "due date."

my daughter lost 9,9% of her body weight, developed jaundice and didn't open her eyes for three weeks, which leads me to believe that my "due date" should have been at least a week after my LMP based one. i'm positive she needed about 3 more weeks to cook!

since then, i've discoverd that i have a long cycle w/ a very short LP (31/10!)

to answer the original question posed by the poster, due date can be very important in some situations, and IME it's better to let your baby's development be the guide than a (sometimes) arbitrary date based on average cycles!

since i know almost exactly when i ovulated this time, i'm going to make sure that my chart shows that my LMP is the date that it would be if i had regular cycles so that my "due date" reflects the time when i conceived, rahter then when a normal person would have concieved
#15 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 PM

I am pretty certain on my dates. But this is my first pregnancy and I want an early u/s to see if everything is okay... The growth, the heartbeat, how many, etc...

My first appointment isn't until October 2nd, which puts me at 9 weeks. I'm dying to see what's going on!!!!

I will only want one more after that, to see the sex(es).

43 w/Emphysema - TTC from 2005 - 2013. 2 miscarriages in 2008. Good things do not come to those who wait.

#16 of 20 Old 09-23-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
Even a two week swing can make a big difference on the other end with induction when it's not anywhere near necessary.
Or a manditory NICU stay if you are out the other way.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#17 of 20 Old 09-24-2008, 12:30 PM

when I got pregnant with my second I had no idea when we had conceived her? I had just come off of fertility stuff and donating some healthy lil eggies. I hadn't had a period since before the egg donation and didn't have a whole lot to go off of. So my mw felt it best to see where I was at I had three weeks of possibilties. Of course they aren't an exact science but I knew that going into it.
#18 of 20 Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 PM

I find it necesarry for me so that when the doctor starts demanding induction due to me already being 7cm and having had one 10 minute long total labor (first contraction till baby laying on chest) and one 45 minute long labor that I'm most definitely already full term. I really need to see a doctor since I need weekly cervical length checks, my body responds VERY well to bedrest, but I need to know when to go on bedrest, preferably before I start dilating...so a doctor is necesarry.

With my first son ultrasound dating put the pregnancy over 2 weeks earlier than I thought I was. with my second son it was where I thought it should be, but over a week earlier than LMP put me at.

ETA: I have very irregular cycles, like they range from 11 days long till 70 days long... also I usually know when I ovulate, I can feel it, so if you had asked me this cycle, I would of never thought it possible to have gotten pregnant and was shocked (pleasantly, this was our second month trying) to get a BFP, I really didn't think I ovulated at all this cycle.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#19 of 20 Old 09-24-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilda_z View Post

I have very mixed feelings about the dating ultrasounds. They are not as accurate as you might be led to believe.

I agree with that, my kids are small, and I bet they are small from early on. My son that was born at 39 weeks had hardly any vernix, and fingernails that were so so so long...but he was only 7 1/2lbs, he definitely didn't need to be born earlier than that. If we had went with dating based on when I thought I ovulated with him than he would of been born at 41w6d...which with how horrible my pregnancy was going with him, they definitely wouldn't of let me go to.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#20 of 20 Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 PM

I had one done although i knew my exact last menstrual period dates. The reason i had one done was because I missed a june and july period that the dr's kept attributing to thyroid problems. Also I had a surgery mid May and KNEW that i had to get pregnant before that surgery yet had a negative test the day of the surgery. Standard procedure at local hospital to do pregnancy test on female prior to any surgery. So sindce i was recovering for 6 weeks form surgery and had no intercourse. I kNEW i didnt' get pregnat after May 18th. Yet missed june and july periods, and got a instant positive when i took a test on July 8th. So the Dr wanted to do adating ultrasound just to be sure that i was infact abotu 1o weeks rather than 3 weeks. IT gave me a date of Feb 28th for a due date which meant i got pregnant 2 wwkes after i had surgery. which was not possible. And since i would have ovulated on the 18th, the day before my surgery I knew that I had to have gotten pregnant them (Dh was going out of town for a business trip and missing my surgery, and it was his 30th birthday.. I KNOW that is wheni got Pregnant. )
SO that was the sole purpose for hte dating in my case. and the Dr isn't even usign that date, He's usign the 15th. which is about a week in between the period date and the ultrasound date. In all reality, it will get here when it gets here

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page