Smells?(aka the smells are driving me crazy!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 10 weeks today and over the weekend I noticed a beginning of a severe heightened sensitivity to smells. I know thats a pregnancy symptom but is it weird that its starting close to the end of the first trimester?

I have had nausea but no vomiting all along but now I can't be near my dog, because she smells so strong, (and she gets regular baths) I walk in the house and smell SOMETHING that makes me feel sick, I was in the produce section of the store yesterday and could actually smell the fruit. (something that has never happened to me before) My daughters shampoo when she gets near me, MY shampoo, any food being cooked, just anything and everything and its all making me feel sick!

Is this happening to anyone else this far in to the first trimester?

Shelley, married to my wonderful DH and mama to DD (11) DD (5) and  DD (2)
#2 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My sense of smell has been kinda heightened all along, but the past week-ish it's really bothered me. Mostly my husband's breath and food smells (even foods I didn't mind til now). And perfumes and cigarettes are awful. I had nausea but no vomiting until this week, now less nausea but I've thrown up a few times.
#3 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 12:19 PM

I hear ya...I can smell EVERYTHING, and it all makes me nausous! I always get a very heightened sense of smell in early pregancy, so I think it's normal.
#4 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 12:28 PM

Yes. Smells realy get to me. With my last pregnancy I had to use nothing but dr bronners to clean and baking soda to wash my body and hair. But this time around those cleaning type of scents don't bother me.

My fridge is gross smelling. I can't figure out where it comes from. Also my new car- the new car smell is nauseating. And I smell something rotten when I'm in the car but I don't know what, since its brand new!

The smell of greasy scalp drives me nuts. And my sons poo diapers smell like either a litterbox or a barnyard. I'm soooo hesitant to open his dipe nowadays.

Its calmed down now a bit that I'm almost 14 weeks though. Hopefully it will for you too!!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#5 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 PM

I haven't noticed an increased sense in smell, but I have almost thrown twice in the past two days. I've had plenty of nausea since 6 weeks but no hint of vomiting. Until 9 weeks. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one whose symptoms are increasing.
#6 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post

My fridge is gross smelling. I can't figure out where it comes from. Also my new car- the new car smell is nauseating. And I smell something rotten when I'm in the car but I don't know what, since its brand new!

!!
This is SO me too! I keep smelling these terrible smells in the car but there is nothing THERE! Its new as well, and the refrigerator and the kitchen in general. Its like Ive been catapulted into a cesspool of horrible smells overnight. And of course, Im the only one who can smell them.

14 weeks huh? Man another month! Oh well if thats what it takes for a healthy baby and all that...

#7 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
My fridge is gross smelling. I can't figure out where it comes from.
I KNOW!!! We lost power a while back and I made DH clean the fridge (you know how a week of no power makes a fridge and it's occupants smell ) So the fridge has been scrubbed down but it still stinks!

What is the smell!! If anyone can figure it out let me know!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#8 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
My fridge is gross smelling. I can't figure out where it comes from.
EVERY time I open my fridge, I gag. : I can't even eat anything out of it because as soon as I open it, I want to puke. And DH wonders why I'm having problems making meals.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#9 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Ewww, the power outage smell. Thats aweful Kriket!!

I think in my case its less likely a rotten item of food and more likely just the stale plastic refrigerator smell that is now on my radar. Ya know like when you make iced tea and leave it in an open container over night and it tastes like the fridge the next day! Thats what I'm smelling!

Isn't it frustrating when you smell something and no one else does?

#10 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 07:46 PM

Ugh yes, and my dog, for the first time in 5 years, peed on the living room rug last night. My living room smells like urine. Between that and poopy toddler diapers, my house is like taking a stroll in a garbage dump for me. No one else can smell it.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#11 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Isn't it frustrating when you smell something and no one else does?
Yes!! I have a hard time walking through the kitchen, it's just one horrible smell after another...dh thinks I'm nuts!!
Oh yeah, and don't get me started on the oily scalp smell. I practically screamed at dh the other night when he tried to lay down on my side of the bed. I can't stand the smell of his pillow, but couldn't tell him that or he'd have gotten really mad at me! I just said, I can't sleep unless I'm right by the wall...he thinks I'm totally crazy.
#12 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 09:14 PM

Everything stinks.

I can't handle anything that smells sugary or greasy. The cafeteria at my work today had chicken fingers, and I spent the whole lunch break in the bathroom.
#13 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post
Everything stinks.

I can't handle anything that smells sugary or greasy. The cafeteria at my work today had chicken fingers, and I spent the whole lunch break in the bathroom.
Oh my goodness! No one in my house is ALLOWED to have chicken fingers, no frozen Tyson for them. The smell makes me more sick than I think anything else so far.

Well Im sorry we are all going through this but it makes me feel better to read everyone else's experiences on this too. Makes me feel a little less crazy. I was telling dh about the horrible smell in the house and was he like "what are you TALKING about you crazy pregnant woman?" argh!!!

#14 of 19 Old 10-23-2008, 01:52 AM

"EVERY time I open my fridge, I gag. I can't even eat anything out of it because as soon as I open it, I want to puke. "

I make my kids get anything in the fridge while I stand across the room, hiding behind the bar, pointing and giving them directions on what to get/put up. The thing is though, just the sight of the fridge open makes me get anxious. Insane.

And i hate to say this but...I can not stand the way my precious little girls smell after they've been playing outside. There's like this...odor...on them. Even when they are clean, the minute they go out and play they start stinking. Kind of smells like a dog? I don't know but it makes me want to cry b/c I shrink away from my 2 year old when after playing outside she wants to sit in my lap. Dh also thinks I am crazy. I am forever walking around going "WHAT is that SMELL?"

Wendy  Wife to my sweet husband, homeschooling mom to 4 little girls and a new blessing due in November! chicken3.gif
#15 of 19 Old 10-23-2008, 01:37 PM

Ugh, I cannot stand when my husband kisses me. I can smell his saliva on my lips but I havent told him that yet. I gag everytime I open the fridge too.

afro.jpg Mom, Wife, Student Midwife and Doula. DD1hearts.gif - 5yrs (Aug 06), DD2 pinktongue.gif - 2yrs (May 09). BFP 3/4/12 - angel1.gif 3/17/12 

#16 of 19 Old 10-23-2008, 01:45 PM

It's weird how the second trimester hits....

It's like one day you're completely sick and feeling gross and tired, and then BAM! You feel fine. It will be a sudden stop I would imagine (of course, everyone is different).

I craved smells in my pregnancy like some people crave food. Lemon dishwasher soap. Mmmm.
#17 of 19 Old 10-23-2008, 01:53 PM

Oh, I have the kissing thing to iana. I have been giving quick pecks to my DH but last night he went in for a nice long smooshy kiss and I had to pull away after a minute. I just told him that I felt claustrophibic. Which is true. I felt like I couldn't breathe! But its not breath, he never has bad breath. Its the feeling of lips. I can't stand it right now!

#18 of 19 Old 10-23-2008, 02:18 PM

The whole world stinks to me right now!! I'm in a sea of bad smells all of a sudden too.

My dog smells awful to me, my husband's deodorant is overwhelming, and my son has a "preschool" smell when he gets home from school that drives me crazy. Most of it is totally unidentifiable though, just random stinky smells that no one else notices. I hope it passes soon!
#19 of 19 Old 10-23-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iana703 View Post
Ugh, I cannot stand when my husband kisses me. I can smell his saliva on my lips
I have this problem too

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page