good morning from seattle :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-02-2009, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.....and it's raining, more precisely lightly sprinkling in my westside 'hood.

I'm 35 (good grief I actualy had to say that out loud) but I forget most of the time how old I am I have 3 amazing boys,..the boy who made me a mother, the sweetest teenager in the northwest. He is funny, even tempered, kind and gentle especially to his 2 younger brothers. I was a proud single mama to him for 8 hard,lean,apartment living years.
Then I married my wonderful husband, and best friend who has a big heart and adopted my wonderful son.He loves big He works to know himself and others with an open mind and heart.He's a good man

I went on to have 2 more wonderful boys..a spunky 5 yr old, imaginary dragon storyteller, who my oldest asked to name Chewbacca..but we went with something a little more mainstream. He is named after an angel, and loves to talk and talk and talk..you get the idea. Started kindergarten at an amazing alternative school this year, after a long hard look at homeschooling which he did not want

Our littlest is peaceful, and chubby (neither the other 2 were)..he's 17months and is always smiling or talking about random words he's learned lately.

We are also in the beginning stages of bringing home a little sister from Haiti for our clan of boys. Any others that have/are been down this road(totally gramatically incorrect I know) I would love to hear about your adventure. We are looking for our medical special needs gal to come join us hopefully this year.(homestudy done, yay!)

Been attachment parenting for 17yrs now! wow..that's crazy to look at in print
Never had enough money for my very own Mothering subscription until a few years ago..through the years I would find old issue at the library magazine donation (thank you to the folks that share!) I was lucky enough to know a dear friends mother who encouraged me, gave me her old corduroy Snugli with the zip up pouch..wish I still had it...learned how to make my own babyfood and love my son as big as the sky.

I worked (prior to the little ones) as a patient advocate, and went to school for my RN but never finished my clinicals due to the severity of my firstborn's asthma.(That is a long, hospital involved story as it is) I am now attending Seattle Midwifery school off and on for continuing education as a doula. Because of some wonderful, broken hearted mothers I have met, I am now working towards becoming a "special birth" doula..specializing in stillbirth and pregnancy complications. My heart leads and I strive to follow well.

ummmmmm....lets see, I have a veggie garden (organic), I love photography, especially with my Kodak Brownie,collect too much old stuff in general, read too many books at once,never get the house totally clean,co-sleep & bf the wee one,my backyard opens to a 68 acre park of tall fir trees, hawks and the occasional coyote, yet we live less then a mile from a great cd store and some hip shops I babywear,eat organic, unless the craving for Hostess gets too strong,miss my dearest friends who have gone where I cannot follow, learning to be a true listener, have an open heart and a better organized me.

I try to walk by these words :

"We can do no great things; only small things with great love." - Mother Teresa

yup

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
#2 of 23 Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 PM

Good morning and welcome to MDC!!! :

Be sure to check out "Finding Your Tribe", there's a lot of us Puget Sound-ers that hang out in the WA/OR/ID tribe. I myself live up in the Lynnwood area, so you're in good company.

I hope you stick around for awhile, you definitely sound like someone I'd like to know!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#3 of 23 Old 01-02-2009, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello and welcome!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#4 of 23 Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM

Welcome to MDC, take a seat, grab a cup of tea and dig in!!

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#5 of 23 Old 01-02-2009, 07:52 PM

Welcome to you from down here in Oregon! I used to live in the Seattle area years ago and grew up in Bellingham. Hey, you say 35 like it's old or something...I'm 37 and think we're very verrrry young!

Anna wife to Phil & sahm to Iris (5/08) "Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945), radio address, October 26, 1939
#6 of 23 Old 01-02-2009, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsullata View Post
Welcome to you from down here in Oregon! I used to live in the Seattle area years ago and grew up in Bellingham. Hey, you say 35 like it's old or something...I'm 37 and think we're very verrrry young!

not like it's old ...just surprising that I'm supposed to be 35years on this earth and I still can't keep my house clean, I wear converse to school functions and if left to my own devices I'll eat cereal for every meal...I just forget how old I am, in more ways than one I think we are totally young too, I just can't believe sometimes that it's been so many years that I've had kids,been to college,worn high heels,etc...there's a part of me stuck at 11 I think..but it's a good part

And thanks everyone for the lovely welcome! I tooled around the forums today and it felt like such a warm community. Looking forward to meeting more like minded mamas...especially a few that live in my neck of the woods.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
#7 of 23 Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
Good morning and welcome to MDC!!! :

Be sure to check out "Finding Your Tribe", there's a lot of us Puget Sound-ers that hang out in the WA/OR/ID tribe. I myself live up in the Lynnwood area, so you're in good company.

I hope you stick around for awhile, you definitely sound like someone I'd like to know!
likewise mama
and thanks for the tribe tip..will check that out while the wee man is snoozing. I think one or two of the gals I know from our local babywearing meeting may be on here.

i love meeting new people...is that dorky?

#8 of 23 Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to MDC! What a great introduction. I feel like I already know you.

We have the Adoption subforum if you'd like to connect with other parents who have added children to their families through adoption. My husband and I are thinking of adopting a little one from abroad so you might see me on that subforum soon.

See you around..

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#9 of 23 Old 01-04-2009, 04:45 AM

Welcome to MDC!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#10 of 23 Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneymum View Post
not like it's old ...just surprising that I'm supposed to be 35years on this earth ...there's a part of me stuck at 11 I think..but it's a good part
Totally hear ya Welcome again!

Anna wife to Phil & sahm to Iris (5/08) "Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945), radio address, October 26, 1939
#11 of 23 Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 AM

Hello,
Welcome to MDC! You're a good writer!..seems i've known you for a long time now..It's nice to have you here..See you around.
#12 of 23 Old 01-05-2009, 05:59 PM

What a great introducition!

Psst: I`m 35, too. Don`t tell anyone.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#13 of 23 Old 01-06-2009, 05:07 PM

Welcome to MDC! I love your intro.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#14 of 23 Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 AM

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#15 of 23 Old 01-07-2009, 02:44 PM

#16 of 23 Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

awwww, you mamas are so sweet thank you all for the awesome welcome. Seriously I fell really great reading all y'alls hellos and kind words.:
thank you all again!. I'm really looking forward to knowing so many of you. Such neat mamas hanging around here.

#17 of 23 Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Hi,

Welcome to the board.
#18 of 23 Old 01-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folaboye View Post
Hi,

Welcome to the board.
:Hi,

I am definitely glad to be apart of such a great membership!
#19 of 23 Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 AM

Welcome!

I love the idea of a special birth doula. Have you considered working with mothers who have been previously traumatized by a prior birth/miscarriage/stillborn and are working to not let the emotions of that prior experience effect a current/future pregnancy?

I'd love to hear more about your work as a patient advocate as well. How long have you lived in Seattle?

Which kindergarten is your 5 yr old attending?

Also are you up to playgroups with children about your youngest's age?

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#20 of 23 Old 01-10-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneology View Post
Welcome!

I love the idea of a special birth doula. Have you considered working with mothers who have been previously traumatized by a prior birth/miscarriage/stillborn and are working to not let the emotions of that prior experience effect a current/future pregnancy?

I'd love to hear more about your work as a patient advocate as well. How long have you lived in Seattle?

Which kindergarten is your 5 yr old attending?

Also are you up to playgroups with children about your youngest's age?

I am right now doing a ton of interviews with some friends and others who have had previous birth trauma and/or loss, also just doing a lot of reading type research. I am working towards my PALS certification right now and also continuing my eductaion at Seattle Midwifery School which is such a huge resource. I hope to meet more mothers who are in a space to talk about their needs in future births. My whole mission is to try and make their birth as peaceful and joyous or actually whatever they are longing for at that time.

I also doula any teen mama births for free.And since I'm working towards more certification I am doing a few more births for almost nothing

I LOVED working in patient advocacy I miss it sometimes...I worked with Hep C patients and many who were also HIV+. I helped coordinate treatment regimes and appointments. Followed up with their doctor, made sure they basically got what they needed in terms of medical and sometimes psycological support. Good stuff, with great people.Lots of arguing with doctors and sweet talking nurses

I've been in Seattle about 14 years now...love it!

My kindergarten kiddo attends Pathfinder K-8..it's an amazing, public, alternative school that was vreated by a group of parents that had all been in a preschool co-op about 12 years or so ago. It's a mix if Waldorf/Montesorri(sp) and basic expeditionary learning. It also has a Native American theme to it..sort of.It's hard to really explain it all. But they have an amazing Native American storyteller that comes in once a month to each class, and they also have a once a month culture night to learn more about Native cultures.We had an amazing night called "Rethinking Thanksgiving" that many of the Duwamish Tribe attended, including a number of elders. It was awesome! I love our school. I volunteer twice a week (wearing my chubby man on my back) for about 3 hours. Just an amazing place.

I have looked for a playgroup for my littlest man...but I stick out like a sore thumb in so many of them (tried twowith this last kiddo, 3 with the previous)..we bf, cloth diaper, don't circ..basically we're not the mainstream and there are times that can be alienating. I'm okay with that..I suppose, but it is what it is

Would LOVE to meet more mamas locally that don't look at me funny and ask "wow, are you still carrying/nursing/sleeping next to him?"

ummmm yeah...I am, and happy about it to..thank you very much. Good day.

I hope I answered it all

(I'd love to meet some other doulas here in Seattle, most of the gals in my last class were from other states.)

Thanks for asking too

#21 of 23 Old 01-10-2009, 03:37 PM

that's the problem I have with playgroups around here too. My LO is turning 2. There are other mamas with kiddos around that age in the Seattle tribe which I saw you found. Welcome!

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#22 of 23 Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Welcome to Mothering.
#23 of 23 Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 PM

Welcome to mdc, mama! What an awesome intro; I really enjoyed reading it

We used to live in Seattle and really, really miss it! We are *hopefully* moving back in May, to Vashon. :

Your son's school sounds so awesome. I miss those great options for schooling that we just don't have here We currently homeschool but even that is very isolating here and slow going to make new friends.

As for playgroups...there used to be a few yahoo groups for AP. Seattle babywearing group is huge and meets all over. I used to attend those meetings and met some awesome mamas and papas from all over, most living in the city. The organizer lives north of Seattle and in the city and she's amazing! Drop her an email...she's really great. Good luck finding mamas...I think there are tons, just gotta look for them And when we move back you're more than welcomed to come over to my place!

Much love and light to you and yours : Hope to see you around mdc!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page