Meet phathui5: MDC's June Member of the Month! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-04-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are happy to announce phathui5 as MDC's Member of the Month for June! She has been a member of MDC since 2002!!

How did you first find Mothering? MDC? I discovered Mothering magazine at Barnes & Noble in the summer of 2001. I kept buying it and then noticed an ad in the magazine for the online forums.

What’s your favorite MDC forum? My favorite MDC forums have been and continue to be "Gentle Discipline" and "Learning at Home and Beyond." I've gotten immeasurable support from those two forums.

What keeps you coming back to MDC? For starters, I kept having kids, so there were always new questions. As my children have grown, we've had new things to deal with. Also, I do enjoy coming on and giving advice.

Can you tell us a little bit about your family? Husband Tim and I have four children; Patrick (9), Delilah (6), James (4) and Ben (2). We moved to Syracuse, NY this past fall after having lived our entire lives in Baltimore, MD. I am a Doula and Tim does energy efficient lighting design for commercial buildings. Our children are homeschooled, and I'm the one who primarily facilitates their education.

Is there something that you do now that you probably never would have done if it weren’t for MDC? MDC is the place that got me to try cloth diapering. I was using disposables before I joined the board. Due to my reading about cloth diapering on MDC, all four of our children have been cloth diapered at least some of the time (we did still use disposables sometimes).

Tell us something most don’t know about you. That's a hard one. I'm pretty transparent as far as sharing about myself goes. Some people don't know that I had a brief first marriage that lasted from when I was 15yrs 10 months until I was 17.

What are you most proud of? I am most proud of the learning experiences with my children that I've been able to be a part of. I love telling people that my oldest read the Harry Potter series when he was seven.

Are you a night owl or an early-bird-gets-the-worm? Night Owl. I'm answering these questions at 11pm.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? What about now? I wanted to be a teacher or a midwife. I ended up as a homeschooling mom and a doula. Maybe someday, I'll become a midwife.

Do you consider yourself introverted or extroverted? Extroverted. I love being around people and talking to people.

Would you say you are neat or messy? I used to be pretty messy but I've learned that I am a nicer person when the house is neat.

Do you like to cook? What is your ideal meal? I do like cooking, though I can't say I do much of it. My favorite sandwich to make would be grilled chicken with lettuce, tomato, avacado and sprouts. I'd eat it with roasted red potatoes.

What's your favorite/go-to cleaning product? I like the Mrs Meyers cleaning wipes.

What do you consider your worst vice? Watching TV. Now that we have cable, I tape all of the birth shows so I can watch them and yell at the TV.

What’s sitting on your dining room table right now? Bedside table?

Dining room table- Spill and Spell game, laptop, Bananagrams book, Transformers book, my cell phone (I'm on call) and ice cream.

Bedside table- A stack of clothes that don't fit in the dresser, an American Girl doll, library books.

What's the last book you've read? Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper.

Favorite all-time move? Idiocracy.

Favorite book? Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. It totally changed the way my husband and I were handling money and now we actually have money in savings instead of debt.

Do you have other sites you enjoy participating/reading at? Facebook, the Well Trained Mind discussion boards, online-sweepstakes.com

Do you have a favorite saying or personal motto? With three boys (and one fairly calm girl), our family motto seems to have turned into "Don't be stupid." It sounds bad to people who don't know us, but it's faster than saying "If you jump from the roof onto the trampoline, we're going to have to go to the ER."

What is your quest? My quest is to raise confident, well-educated children who are compassionate and loving. Also, to be the kind of doula where women tell their friends they were so glad they had me at their birth.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 AM

so...I knew you from LLL in Baltimore/Towson..we were great friends when we lived there and I was at your wedding! Cant believe you now have 4 kids! WOw--I see you on MDC occasionally and am so proud of the mom you are xo
Susan
Old 06-04-2010, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing, it was great to read about you and your family!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:20 AM

I enjoyed reading your interview!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 06-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
So nice to know more about a terrific member!

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 06-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Hi there!!! Nice to read more about you!!!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Love Idiocracy! So hilarious. My Dh was not impressed. LOL

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:25 PM

"Don't be stupid" sounds like a pretty good motto to me. It's succinct but covers a lot of ground.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:12 PM

Nice to learn more about you!!!!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 PM

Liz! i miss you. if you ever come back to Baltimore, we would come back to you. haven't been on mothering for awhile, but was so happy to see your name up there as member of the month. so- will you let delilah get married at 15??? just curious....
-hilary
Old 06-05-2010, 02:19 AM

That was a nice glimpse into your life. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:09 PM

It's so nice to put a face to your wonderful posts.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
so- will you let delilah get married at 15??? just curious....
Unlikely. My parents just about had a heart attack when I told them I was pregnant and wanted to get married. Luckily for Tim and I, my ex isn't part of our lives. Tim legally adopted Patrick and it just generally makes life simpler.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 PM

That is such a mesmerizing photo of you I just keep staring--it looks like a painting, like an heirloom photo, very timeless. You have a Mona Lisa smile! May I ask, are you Mennonite or Amish? I love the headscarf.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
Old 06-07-2010, 04:28 PM

Thanks heartmama. My 9yo ds took the picture for me when we were at the playground. We're Mennonite. The bandana is one of my favorites, dh got it for me.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 06-07-2010, 06:10 PM

I'm a covering, cloth diapering, homeschooling mama, too! Howdy!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 06-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKT View Post
"Don't be stupid" sounds like a pretty good motto to me. It's succinct but covers a lot of ground.
agreed... LOVE this!

And so glad to see more about you! Yours is a user ID I always remember because I like your posts!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 PM

Nice to learn more about you...

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

Old 06-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Great to meet you, and i hope you have lots more doula clients! How's the CPM situation in NYstate, as opposed to the City? I only know one CPM in NYstate, and she is upper NYS...I think near Rochester...
Old 06-20-2010, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing ... I met you way back when at a cloth diaper party you hosted ... you invited me to talk about ec! Hope NY is treating you well.
:-)

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Nice to "meet" you!
I always enjoy reading your posts!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
Old 06-29-2010, 10:17 PM

so, it was mighty funny for this long-time "GCM" mom to get an MDC email with your username 'featured.' i remembered you immediately! fun to see you again in a different place. (and also neat to hear about your move!)

blessings!
lauren
Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Nice to read more about you!

Can I ask how you chose your user name?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

User Tag List