Meet StephandOwen MDC's Member of the Month for October! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are pleased to introduce StephandOwen!

StephandOwen has been a member since 2004!

How did you first find Mothering? MDC?

My oldest sister (AllyRae) was a member of MDC for about 6 months before telling me about it (our sons were born about 7 weeks apart). I started peeking around and never really left! I actually found the MDC forums before I even knew there was a magazine!

What’s your favorite MDC forum?

Single Parenting! Those women are a wealth of knowledge and helped me tremendously through a very hard time in my life. There are a few women on that board (the "oldies"!) who I will never forget.

What keeps you coming back to MDC?

It seems like there is always something new to learn. While the women in Single Parenting hold a special place in my heart, I cannot forget my Special Needs parents! Anytime I have a question they are right there to either calm me down or answer any crazy questions I have. Those mamas are so compassionate and it doesn't matter how "silly" your question or issue is, they are right there pointing you in the right way. I will probably always come back to MDC because there's always something new to talk about!

Can you tell us a little bit about your family?

I am Stephanie. I'm 26 years old. My son is Owen, who turns 7 in just a few short days! Jason and I have been together for years and we're finally getting married on January 1st (1/1/11) We live in Kentucky where I am a full time student as well as a substitute para for the public school system. Life is never boring here!

Is there something that you do now that you probably never would have done if it weren’t for MDC?

If it weren't for MDC I never would have nursed my son as long as I did! I always knew it was the right thing in our situation, but I had very little support in real life (except from my sister!) to continue nursing past his first birthday. Reading on MDC gave me the push I needed to continue letting ds nurse, even though it wasn't the norm.

Tell us something most don’t know about you.

My dream is to teach until I can retire and then open my own bakery.

What are you most proud of?

The progress I have been able to help my son make. 4 years ago exactly I sat in the neurologists office where they told me he would never be "normal" and that I should just give up any hope of him talking and I should stop trying, stop taking him to speech therapy and just teach him sign language. I was told he would never be able to function in a typical classroom and I should prepare for him to be dependent for the rest of his life. Needless to say, we left that office and never looked back Today my son is doing marvelous! He is in a typical classroom for most of the day, his language skills are just slightly below his peers, he is far above his peers in his reading level. He's at the top of the class for math and he is such a joy to have in our lives! It has been 7 years of hard work, endless therapy appointments (we are now down to just once a week outside of school hours!), more doctors than I care to admit, and many tears from all of us.... but I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Are you a night owl or an early-bird-gets-the-worm?
Neither! I would love to go to sleep early and wake up late! On the average day, though, I go to bed late and wake up early.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? What about now?

An orthodontist! I have no idea what possessed me to want to be an orthodontist (maybe all those years I was in the chair!). In middle school we had a "shadow someone you want to be like when you grow up". I followed my orthodontist for the day. LOL! Now I am in school to become a teacher! I have a few more months to decide between elementary ed or special ed.

Do you consider yourself introverted or extroverted?

Somewhere in between. Around people I don't know well I am definitely introverted. Around people I know well I tend to be more extroverted.

Would you say you are neat or messy?

It depends on the day! I go through spurts where I'm messy but then it drives me insane and I clean like a mad woman! I also tend to clean a lot when I'm stressed or upset. My fiance knows if he comes home from work and the house is spotless he better watch out!

Do you like to cook? What is your ideal meal?

I love to cook and bake! I don't tend to get a lot of time for it these days, though. I have recently started using a menu planner online and it really helps! Now I don't get home and look in the fridge and wonder what the heck I'm going to make for dinner. I loooove pasta dishes so my idea meal would definitely involve pasta. I also love shrimp and scallops so it would probably include those. However, my fiance doesn't like seafood and pasta together so I only splurge on those when we go out to a restaurant. When my fiance goes out of town for work I tend to go crazy and eat seafood/pasta at least a few times. Shhhh..... don't tell!

What's your favorite/go-to cleaning product?

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. It seriously has to be the best invention ever when it comes to cleaning products!

What do you consider your worst vice?

Currently that would be caramel apples. Yum! I've been eating far too many of these lately since it's fall!

What’s sitting on your dining room table right now? Bedside table?
Dining room table- placemats, candles, a tv remote, my ds's homework and a pencil, a couple pens, dp's headset for his laptop, a battery (??), a cup of water and a bowl with ds's after school snack. Bedside table- far too many remotes, my eyeglass case, alarm clock and a lamp.

What's the last book you've read?

Do school books count? Seriously, I haven't read an adult "for fun" book in far too long!

Favorite all-time movie?

That's a hard one.... I love Robin Williams. One of my favorite movies of his is Patch Adams.

Favorite book?

This is sad but I can't really think of a favorite book!

Do you have other sites you enjoy participating/reading at?

I have a couple other sites I randomly visit (slickdeals.net is one) but I don't have a lot of spare time so I'm mostly on mothering or facebook if I'm not doing homework on my computer! I have long ago given up any other parenting sites.

Do you have a favorite saying or personal motto?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" by Dr. Seuss

Not all those who wander are lost 
#2 of 12 Old 10-01-2010, 01:28 PM

Hiya Steph! I love your posts, and I have to say again what an awesome and strong mama you are! Thanks for all you contribute to MDC

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#3 of 12 Old 10-01-2010, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
So that's what you look like! Awesome.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#4 of 12 Old 10-02-2010, 04:17 AM

Team Steph

I love your ability to stay calm in the face of rough waters, it comes through in your posts whether you feel it or not, kudos Mama!

And....once you succeed at your getaway wedding you are going to link to photos, right? right? I want to get married on 1/1/11 that is so cool....only I was married back in 2000 so I guess I missed that boat

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#5 of 12 Old 10-03-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluhia View Post
And....once you succeed at your getaway wedding you are going to link to photos, right? right? I want to get married on 1/1/11 that is so cool....only I was married back in 2000 so I guess I missed that boat
LOL! You were only about 11 years too early Believe it or not, we actually picked the date before we even realized that it would be 1/1/11. That was just an added bonus

Yes, of course there will be photo links!!! Our photographer has actually set up a website already that we will be able to share with everyone and he'll post pictures to it so we'll probably be able to share those before we even get back from our honeymoon!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#6 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 11:38 AM

So nice to put a face to a name!
Hi there!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#7 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM

Steph, your ability to roll your eyes and LAUGH at your ex is honorable. I know you do it for Owen, but I gotta tell you, you are a much better woman that I am. I would have written him off long ago, but you are able to see how important it is FOR OWEN. Props to you, mama! HIGH FIVE!
#8 of 12 Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Thanks ladies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
So that's what you look like! Awesome.
That was taken this summer on our vacation to Disney World. We were eating dinner at the Rainforest Cafe and I was sunburned pretty bad. But it's the only recent picture I have of me so.... it'll work

#9 of 12 Old 10-07-2010, 02:38 PM

YAY! SO GLAD to see Steph as Octobers Member! I've pulled strength many times from Steph's posts.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#10 of 12 Old 10-11-2010, 04:36 PM

Steph, you were the first MDC Momma that made me cry! You are so strong and passionate, but so loving and caring! I continue to get strength from your posts and look forward to being able to see a glimpse of your life! Congrats on making your Marriage official, lol.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#11 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarngoddess View Post
Steph, you were the first MDC Momma that made me cry!
In a good way, I hope!

Thanks mamas

#12 of 12 Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 PM

Aw, hey Steph! Hello again! I haven't been to MDC in a loooong time but have thought about you a lot and am so glad to see where you are now in life...we had some dark times together back in single parenting and your encouragement helped me get where I am now...a strong woman and mother, capable of keeping sight of what's most important. Thanks and congratulations on everything!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page