Meet Ianthe: MDC Member of the Month for November 2010 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-31-2010, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! We're pleased to announce Ianthe as MDC Member of the Month for November! Ianthe has been a member of MDC since 2006.

ianthesquare.jpg

How did you first find MDC?
I found MDC when I was pregnant with DS1 in late 2006. I was posting on Tribe.net trying to find some vegetarian parents and more natural-minded parents, and someone sent me the link to this forum. At the time, I was in a Due Date Club on American Baby, and realized I had VERY different ideas about birth, breastfeeding and parenting than the other moms on the site. I felt at home here on MDC. However, I still maintained contact with my original DDC, and we are still online friends today.

What’s your favorite MDC forum?
I frequent Vegetarian and Vegan, Frugality and Finances, Working and Student Mothers, TAO, and all the Parenting forums.

What keeps you coming back to MDC?
The information and advice on MDC is priceless. This is the first place I come to when I need to ask a question about just about anything! Also, I've been fortunate enough to meet mamas that I've found on MDC in real life, who have become wonderful friends.

Can you tell us a little bit about your family?
I have 2 boys: Sebastian is 3 (born May 2007) and Oliver is about 16 months (born July 2009). We live in a small university town in the mountains of Utah. As a family, we like to travel, dig in the dirt (garden), watch movies, build things and explore our area. I am a full time student, majoring in anthropology with a minor in human and family development. My DH works for the same university in the Biology department's herbarium (library of plant and fungi specimens).

Is there something that you do now that you probably never would have done if it weren’t for MDC?
When I was first pregnant with Sebastian (DS1), I was going to an OB/GYN and planning a hospital birth. However, with the support of my entire May 2007 DDC, I decided to go to a midwife and birth center instead. I never would have made the switch if not for the info and support on MDC. Also, my birth center birth ended up in a hospital transfer, and I believe had I been in the hospital from the beginning I would have had a c-section. For my second, I probably never would have considered a homebirth without MDC as well (which ended up being a FSBC birth).

Tell us something most don’t know about you:
I dropped out of high school when I was 17 and got my GED. I was a straight A student when I dropped out.

What are you most proud of?
Two things: Giving birth naturally to my 2 boys; it was so empowering! And the other is that I got a full tuition scholarship to my current university based on my really good transfer GPA!!

Are you a night owl or an early-bird-gets-the-worm?
I am both, unfortunately. I can't go to sleep before 11pm (and would stay up much later if I circumstances permitted), but I am always up at 7 am no matter what!

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? What about now?
I wanted to be famous with whatever I did: acting, modeling (I'm short so that would have never happened), music, writer, artist, etc. Now, I still want to make a difference in the world, but I see myself as an anthropologist, likely in a university setting, traveling with academic projects all over the world.

Do you consider yourself introverted or extroverted?
I am both, but usually pretty extroverted!

Would you say you are neat or messy?
I am neatly messy! I was a neat-freak before kids, and you wouldn't know that by looking at my house now! I've calmed down about it since kids and realized that I don't need to stress about it as much as I did. However, my house isn't *that* bad. It's just not as good as I'd like it.

Do you like to cook? What is your ideal meal?
I LOVE to cook! I really love veganizing comfort food recipes and southern cooking. I think I am an excellent baker, too. I wish I had more time to prepare elaborate meals. I really love food! When we go out to eat, though, we always get Indian because I just cannot figure out how to cook Indian food!

What's your favorite/go-to cleaning product?
Simple Green, Baking soda and water!

What do you consider your worst vice?
I am a coffee-holic! I HAVE to have at least 3 cups of coffee to get me going in the morning (lack of sleep?). I am also addicted to the internet, probably because I am also a research-a-holic!

What’s sitting on your dining room table right now? Bedside table?
Some winter squash, a basil plant, research books and coupons.

What's the last book you've read?:
Besides my text books? I think it was The Alchemist, about a year ago. I really I wish I had more time to read for me and not for school.

Favorite all-time movie?
It depends on when you ask me, but my two top movies are Almost Famous and Garden State. I love indie movies, like what's shown at Sundance, and I also love documentaries.

Favorite book?
Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.

Do you have other sites you enjoy participating/reading at?
Mostly just Facebook these days.

Do you have a favorite saying or personal motto?
No, nothing in particular. I have positive affirmations that I do every day, and it seems to be working!

What is your quest?
I really want to make a difference in the world. Whatever I end up doing with my life, I want it to be for the better of humankind and the Earth.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 11-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Yay, Ianthe! It took me a minute to recognize you as my fellow veg-in-crime, LizzyQ!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#3 of 7 Old 11-02-2010, 11:40 PM

What made you choose Ianthe as your user name, it's lovely!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#4 of 7 Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
What made you choose Ianthe as your user name, it's lovely!
I was looking on a name site and Ianthe stuck out at me Thanks!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#5 of 7 Old 11-11-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post

Yay, Ianthe! It took me a minute to recognize you as my fellow veg-in-crime, LizzyQ!

Hey! Not trying to be a weird lurker or anything but I recognize your photo from a Mothering issue! Its awesome!

femalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif crafty Mama to Maxwell, born April 5, 2010 and partner & best friend to Dan <3

#6 of 7 Old 11-15-2010, 06:14 PM

Wooohoo for the May 2007 DDC!! I squealed a happy little squeal when I saw your face on the homepage! Congrats!

#7 of 7 Old 11-17-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz.Furtado View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post

Hey! Not trying to be a weird lurker or anything but I recognize your photo from a Mothering issue! Its awesome!

Thanks!  It's over 4 years old now, but I still laugh whenever I look at it. wink1.gif

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page