Mothering Forum banner

Hi! I'm a new mom (relatively speaking) and new to Mothering

384 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kidzaplenty 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm new to MotheringdotCommunity.

My son is 9 months old. He has severe reflux and it has been quite a challenge for us. As we have gone along, I've realized we are Attachment Parenting people- which I think is fantastic. We are baby wearing, modified co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc. But that has made it very difficult to find stay at home mom groups where we really connect with other moms. Our families are also not supportive of this lifestyle.

Originally I wasn't planning on staying home with my son - I was a graphic design workaholic, and hadn't really thought about what kind of parent I would be. I also figured I didn't have a choice, this area is expensive and we have bills to pay. But I fell in love and just couldn't bear the thought of someone else caring for him all day. Then it turned out he was sick - he has severe reflux and was gagging and having trouble breathing on and off through the day. It didn't feel safe putting him in daycare. He is a quiet baby... what if he choked and no one heard him? We rearranged some things and so far I have been able to be home with him.

Recently my son has shown signs of having food allergies. I have MANY food allergies, some very severe and thus making me limit what I feed my son (he eats something I'm allergic to, and throws up on me [reflux], then I will have a reaction). Introducing new foods has been a struggle. While I have loved our pediatrician, I'm realizing now that our closet AP lifestyle and their methods are too conflicting. They expect him to be on mostly solids by 1 year old. He just started eating more than a few bites of a solids meal only a few weeks ago (and he only eats solids once a day). He sleeps through the night and is growing... I can't be doing it all wrong.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.