Meet purplegirl: MDC Moderator of the Month for January 2011 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-31-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I'm so happy to introduce purplegirl as MDC's Moderator of the Month for January 2011! purplegirl first joined MDC in 2004 and has been moderating since 2008. She currently moderates Diggin' in the Earth and Books, Music and Media.

lisamikecroppedsize.jpg

How did you first find MDC?

Like many others here, I found MDC while on another internet parenting group. At the time, I was trying to conceive and was looking for others who had shared values around natural living and parenting. I fell in love with MDC and found a comfortable 'home' on the internet.

What’s your favorite MDC forum? What keeps you coming back after all this time?
I love the Health forum. I've struggled with a myriad of health issues over the past few years and always manage to find relevant, helpful information there. I also adore my 'women of color' tribe smile.gif

Tell us something most don’t know about you.
I have an elevator phobia! Many years ago, I got stuck in an elevator that kept going up and down nineteen floors--without stopping--for an hour. It was packed with a lunch crowd, and we had to be rescued by the fire company. I was fine for years after that, but like most traumatic events, the anxiety didn't kick in until recently. I'm doing better but it was paralyzing for a long time.

Can you tell us a little bit about your family?
Michael is the love of my life. From him, I have two bonus sons--Michael and Matthew. We have a somewhat unusal arrangement in that we live in different states. We are both self-employed, own separate homes, and he has shared custody of his youngest son--all circumstances that make it challenging to be in the same town. We alternate traveling to each other's home on the weekends and holidays.   I've grown weary of our living arrangements and will move next Fall, commuting to Delaware a few days a week to manage my business. After his son graduates from high school, we'll make the District of Columbia our home; I can't wait.

What are you most proud of?
I am very happy about maintaining a consistent regime of exercising and eating better. I've lost lots of inches and pounds. I still have a long way to go, but losing 4 dress sizes sure does make me feel good. Now I love buying jeans!

Are you a night owl or an early-bird-gets-the-worm?
I am a night owl. If I'm working on a project, I'm like a dog on a bone. I will stay up all night grinding it out. Getting up and going in the morning is and has always been a challenge!

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? What about now?
I wanted to be a pediatrician. That changed quickly when I realized science was not my forte. I think being a child therapist suits me well, but secretly, I wish I were an artist. I'm pretty creative, but my talent is latent. One of these days, I'll put more energy into nuturing my inner artist.

Do you consider yourself introverted or extroverted? Would you say you are neat or messy?
I'm mostly an extrovert with shy tendencies! I prefer order, but I'm not neat. I function well in 'ordered chaos'---papers can be everywhere, but i know exactly where they are!

Do you like to cook? What is your ideal meal?
I don't cook much. My husband is the cook when we're together. However, I love entertaining which motivates me to cook. I don't have an ideal meal, but I enjoy trying new dishes.

What do you consider your worst vice?
Impulsive shopping. I have a house full of 'stuff' that I am slowly giving away. I have way too much 'stuff'.

What’s sitting on your dining room table right now? Bedside table?
I have a beautiful Christmas center piece on my dining room table. On my bedside table--water, vitamins, books, cell phone, jewelry, a flashlight and various other things.

Worst advice you've ever gotten? Best?
Worst--to pursue my ex
Best--to leave my ex!! LOL

What's the last book you've read?
The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson.

Favorite all-time movie?
I don't have one favorite movie. If I had to name a couple it would be Eve's Bayou and Daughters of the Dusk

Hobbies?
I tend not to have hobbies but rather cultivate a healthy interest in many things. If I have to list a couple of things that I really enjoy, they would be: knitting, reading, making jewelry.

What's your favorite way to spend a Saturday? 
Getting up early, having breakfast with my family followed by hanging out in the city. Going to museums then having dinner at a quaint restaurant. We are art geeks and will spend hours hanging out at museums!

Do you have a favorite saying or personal motto?
"Living my life like it's golden"

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 01-04-2011, 12:30 PM

LOL!  We both had childhood dreams of becoming pediatricians!!

#3 of 5 Old 01-22-2011, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

:)  Hey, purplegirl!  Thanks for sharing!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#4 of 5 Old 01-27-2011, 04:44 PM

Heyyyy!! 

afro.jpg
#5 of 5 Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Hi, Purplegirl! Love this!

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page