Can Anybody Help Me in My Fight with MRSA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

Our family has been dealing with MRSA for three months now and I am at my wits end! I have found the most helpful information from reading the stories and advice on various other forums and discussions boards, so I figured I’d start my own.

My son was born on June 17 by c-section and by June 27, 7 days after leaving the hospital, him and I both had MRSA. Both of us had a single, very superficial, blister in our groin area. My c-section incision, thankfully, never became infected. No one suspected mrsa (although my ob must have, even though she said she didn’t, because she prescribed me Bactrim). DS was started on Keflex. We both healed up nicely. A week later, DS had another blister in his diaper area. This time they assumed it was MRSA because of the previous culture and treated him with Bactrim. We were in the clear for a month and DS developed a boil right on his scrotum. We went to an ID doctor, did an intense decolonization (mupirocin in all of our noses, Hibiclens, bleach baths, sheets/towels washed in bleach, etc.). We were clear for two weeks after the decolonization was complete and now my DD (almost 4 years old) has an infection on her leg. I THINK it started as a bug bite, but I’m not sure. I could kick myself for not attacking it with the mupirocin and manuka honey immediately, but it really looked like a bug bite and we had been at the beach all day. She's now on Bactrim.

I don’t know what more I can do! I use tea tree oil and manuka honey, as well as the mupirocin to topically treat anything that looks even remotely suspicious. We all take weekly bleach baths. We never use towels twice and change sheets weekly. All sheets and towels are washed with bleach. I scrub my house weekly and daily disinfect the kitchen and bathroom. I am so frustrated! I feel like this stupid bacteria is winning the battle! Thankfully, all of our MRSA infections so far have been easily treatable and it has mostly just been annoying. However, I know that it can be really dangerous and if we keep getting infections, I feel like it’s only a matter of time before one of us is in serious trouble. I’m scared and frustrated and feel like I’m just spinning my wheels.

I would love to hear any advice, ideas, or similar stories. Has anybody struggled with MRSA like this and beat it? I need to hear some happy endings!

#2 of 8 Old 09-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Read info about honey healing MRSA worked for my nephew

#3 of 8 Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

my ds had staph... we took him to an herbalist who gave us a tincture to take orally, and a topical herbal powder that i mixed with neem oil and applied daily. it instantly shrank it and healed it. i know golden seal was involved... maybe a few more stronger herbs.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#4 of 8 Old 09-13-2011, 04:44 PM

So terrible to be dealing with this with tiny kids greensad.gif

I had a virulent and systemic case of MRSA several years ago and did all these things too - the Hibiclens, bleaching etc.  I ended up taking a combination of 2 intense antibiotics to clear it up. It came back with just one or 2 boils a couple more times in the year following and I killed it with very high doses of Vit. D and garlic supplements with allicin. I worked with a naturopath to come up with doses that were high but still safe. A friend has recently been struggling with this and was told that Keflex is now usually on the list of antibiotics that MRSA is resistant to, even though it made a difference for her too, with her first one (which also started as an infected bug bite) She had a second boil within a couple of weeks of finishing the Keflex and went to see a different doctor who told her that and prescribed her something else, but I don't know what it was unfortunately. 

I think that seeing a doctor who deals with MRSA regularly is really important. Most family doctors and GP's don't see it often enough and don't know the latest ways to deal with it effectively. Sounds like you have that though. Good luck. It's stressful and so draining. 

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#5 of 8 Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 PM

wow so sorry i dont have any advice but wanted to send along hugs.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#6 of 8 Old 10-30-2011, 08:49 AM

Poor family!  I can totally empathize. I had a similar experience after a c-section, the little boils (but more like 7 of them, including two infected glands) in my groin area.  Due to my high fever, I had to go "western" on them and spent three days going to the hospital twice a day for IV antibiotics (clyndmiacin, sp?) then a 10 regimen of doxycycline, while pumping and dumping and feeding (thankfully) donated breastmilk to my 3 week old. Very lucky it did not spred to my new one at that time.  She did have an outbreak of mrsa several months later, and it was dangerously in her throat.  No one wants to hear that story it is too scary!

I want to offer support and let you know you are not alone.

I blamed myself like we weren't clean enough, but I came to the conclusion that it was about my immune system.

When I became ill with mrsa, I learned that it is all around us, all the time.  mrsa lives in the back of most of our noses, in the bathroom, of course, but is most prevalent in the hospital!.  I became susceptible because of exposure in the hospital, and ill because I was so sleep deprived and stressed.  No one around me became ill.  While infected, My naturopath suggested that I continue to cosleep but wear clothing covering the sores and lots of hand-washing, etc.  She also recommended that instead of becoming a "germaphobe" I assess our possible immune deficiences.   My partner, child and I have been infection free for 10 months, without even a cold.  I credit breastfeeding and enhancement of our immune systems.

If you are comfortable using vitamin c, a bit of zinc, and immune enhancing herbs ( I use elderflower, osha, goldenseal) and probiotics, try that too.  Also sleep, calm and family support go a long way in the fight with mrsa.  If you are nursing or have actual immune disorder, of course ask your doc.

#7 of 8 Old 10-31-2011, 09:53 AM

Sending to a friend who just whipped MRSA's butt....

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#8 of 8 Old 10-31-2011, 11:03 AM

I just went through this and had huge abscesses deep in my armpit which were lanced but more developed and it cross contaminated into my eye. I used besivance drops which cleared the eye, and we did the mupirocin in the nose. I was prescribed but did not take bactrim as it can cause it to become more resistant - and I tried something else first which worked great. I used a product called Acid to Alkaline http://www.neurobiologix.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=acid 6 capsules of the herbs twice a day. But you can use the Ph strips included to check if you need more or less to bring you to maximum alkalinity. MRSA needs an acid environment to thrive (as do lots of other stuff). The 3 golf ball deep tissue abscesses left under my arm began shrinking immediately (they were not ruptured so did not drain - just shrank). I also used ozonated olive oil because I had some on hand and figured it might be a double whammy. It took about a week to completely clear up and I am continuing the Acid to Alkaline as a preventative.

Melissa 38 DH 47, Emerson '06, Arrow '09 angel2.gif, and Drake Valan EDD 12/22/10.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page